share keyboard and mouse over network

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

share keyboard and mouse over network

Unread postby MrBill » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 pm

My crimson is running, but i can only interact with it through the serial console. Is there a way i can connect to the machine with another machines mouse over the network, kinda like with synergy for linux / windows?
https://symless.com/synergy/

I have been wanting to make an adapter for my indigo keyboard and mouse, but am trying to see if there is some kind of software solution i can use in the meantime.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Crimson:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: share keyboard and mouse over network

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Synergy has a port for IRIX - but I don't think it's Crimson compatible (Crimson is 6.2.x and before and MIPS III only). You may wanna try an old version of Synergy to compile and then see if it can run off an old Linux VM on your PC or something since the old versions don't always compile right on new OS/hardware.
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4400 100MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 am

Alternatively, I can probably dig up a 4D series keyboard and matching optical mouse (this photo by Gerhard Lenerz). Not too sure about the matching mouse pad though (the reflective metal grid kind). Of course they weigh a ton so shipping alone will cost you a good bit more than an Indigo adapter.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:21 am

If I understand correct..

If it's on the network, you could try using MobaXterm from a Windows machine, it has it limitations mind, but it's free. If you are on another UNIX machine, you could just use good old setenv DISPLAY.. blah blah
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “IRIX and Software”