How to back install showPS?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gijoe77

How to back install showPS?

Unread postby gijoe77 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:48 am

I installed Illustrator 5.5 on a octane running 6.5.23f (probably going to upgrade to 6.5.30f). Illustrator dies like the following after launching:

/usr/adobe/Illustrator_5.5/bin/illustrator[782] 6498 memory fault

I read up that it's because SGI dumped Adobe's showPS after 6.5.22 - and I see people are running Illustrator 5.5 on much later releases of IRIX - how are y'all getting around this? I dug up a binary from a earlier release and adding this line to the ENV:

Code: Select all

PSVIEWER=/usr/bin/X11/showps

but illustrator is still dying.

recondas

Re: How to back install showPS?

Unread postby recondas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 am

gijoe77 wrote:I installed Illustrator 5.5 on a octane running 6.5.23f (probably going to upgrade to 6.5.30f). Illustrator dies like the following after launching: /usr/adobe/Illustrator_5.5/bin/illustrator[782] 6498 memory fault

I read up that it's because SGI dumped Adobe's showPS after 6.5.22 - and I see people are running Illustrator 5.5 on much later releases of IRIX - how are y'all getting around this?

I'm not sure it'll cure the memory fault you're getting, but it's not uncommon for new Illustrator installs (under IRIX 6.5.23 and later) to need the Adobe-provided DPS tools (aka dpsnx.agent). There's a discussion in this nekochan thread that touches on adding dpsnx.agent.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

gijoe77

Re: How to back install showPS?

Unread postby gijoe77 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:55 pm

No luck in that department, I re-run the script with no success :(

BTW what is normalizer? I see it in the dir you posted. Is that a separate adobe product or might it have sort of synergy with the other adobe products?

Return to “IRIX and Software”