Irix version

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

Re: Irix version

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:57 am

jan-jaap wrote:
Dodoid wrote:some other method I'm not aware of.

Network installation. But if this is your first IRIX installation I'd advise against that. Too many things that can go wrong.

Oh yeah network install. There is a VM that installs IRIX over a network called DINA, but I have never used it.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 am

robbo007 wrote:This will be my first. I've done loads of Solaris, Unix etc but Irix seem very different :) I've just found my original unopened floppy disks and users manual. I think I should read through it :)

Floppies .. :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:42 am

uunix wrote:
robbo007 wrote:This will be my first. I've done loads of Solaris, Unix etc but Irix seem very different :) I've just found my original unopened floppy disks and users manual. I think I should read through it :)

Floppies .. :shock:

I can't imagine IRIX on floppies, unless it's a super old version you're referring to.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:47 am

Dodoid wrote:I can't imagine IRIX on floppies, unless it's a super old version you're referring to.

No such thing. Cartridge tapes (QIC24) for the oldest versions. There was a set of IRIX 3.1 tapes on eBay the other day, anybody here win those by any chance?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Dodoid wrote:Oh yeah network install. There is a VM that installs IRIX over a network called DINA, but I have never used it.

How have I survived without this? Thanks for this mention.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:34 pm

Kotomo wrote:
Dodoid wrote:Oh yeah network install. There is a VM that installs IRIX over a network called DINA, but I have never used it.

I don't know if it works well, sounds like a bit of a hard thing to replicate perfectly. Again I have never used it. Obviously it works for some people though.

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Dodoid wrote:
Kotomo wrote:

I don't know if it works well, sounds like a bit of a hard thing to replicate perfectly. Again I have never used it. Obviously it works for some people though.

Its worked great for me. The hard part is getting the ISO images extracted and copied into the VM. One bug was the dhcpd.conf had a typo and some script kept on resetting it back to the bad default every time it booted.

Oh and that archive site now has 6.5.29 overlays :D

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:21 pm

astouffer wrote:Its worked great for me. The hard part is getting the ISO images extracted and copied into the VM. One bug was the dhcpd.conf had a typo and some script kept on resetting it back to the bad default every time it booted.

Oh and that archive site now has 6.5.29 overlays :D

Well, I already have an ESXi box for VMware VMs, and already extracted my IRIX CD's when setting up my Octane as a tftp bootp server for this very purpose. I have since copied the entire library onto my fileserver running CentOS 6. I should be able to NFS mount my IRIX directory on the my fileserver to DINA, create soft links as needed and voila!
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 am

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:29 am

Since that doesn't say how to do the actual installation, take a look at http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_Network_Installation_to_a_SGI_Fuel while you're at it.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:26 am

foetz wrote:the maintenance and feature streams do not depend on specific hardware. the difference is that the feature stream has additional, well, features :P
it was more expensive and shipped with one additional cd.

Was that pricing something specific to EU/Germany? At least in the US, the only question was whether or not you had a software support contract. If you had a support contract, you would receive a set of Overlay CDs containing both the f and m streams whenever there was a new release, and you were entitled to download the m or f installation images from the old SGI support site. If you didn't have a support contract, you could download a certain range of recent "m" images, ending in 6.5.22, but not the "f" images.

A minor note: The idea of different maintenance and feature streams was introduced in IRIX 6.5.2 and the streams were merged in 6.5.22. If you run a clean install of IRIX 6.5.22 or newer, the installer still prompts you to select a stream, but it makes no practical difference in the resulting installation, except for the output of uname and similar commands. Similarly, if you update a version of IRIX that was older than 6.5.22 to something newer than 6.5.22, it will retain the system's earlier "m" or "f" designation, even if it makes no practical difference.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:29 pm

josehill wrote:
foetz wrote:the maintenance and feature streams do not depend on specific hardware. the difference is that the feature stream has additional, well, features :P
it was more expensive and shipped with one additional cd.

Was that pricing something specific to EU/Germany? At least in the US, the only question was whether or not you had a software support contract.

yeah it was the same here. my description was sloppy, i meant: support contract = costs money = get feature streams

EdwardSB711

Unread postby EdwardSB711 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:47 pm

Buy your self a SCSI optical drive that will work. do your research.....I believe SUN, HP, and Dell will work...will need a external power supply and proper SCSI cabling

the install on a O2 is almost the same but for a few different commands in the beginning of Part 1 of the installing Irix on a O2 video.

You will need to type :

boot -f dksc(1,3,7)stand/fx.64 --x { for an 64bit OCTANE }

instead of :

boot -f dksc(1,3,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x { For a 32 bit O2 }

once you do a clean install your machine will be happy.

Part 2 and 3 of are the same for the Octane install

see link for part 1 below

POWER ANIMATOR 8.5

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:07 pm

I do recommend the network install. Takes a while to set up, but quite effective. Perhaps you can use an older SGI for provisioning.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:26 pm

.22 merged m and f (and pulled the big draw f features off as layered products - stuff such as CXFS).

You'll probably want to update - .21 with patches or .22 is what Nekoware likes. Newer can have some advantages, but also some disadvantages.

Don't install the Complementary Apps image unless you know what you're doing, it changes some things (especially the print system) by default for some insufficiently explained reason.

Network is great - beats a couple of hours shuffling CDs.

Read the install howtos because there are some gotchas in the conflicts that are not obvious to fix. Ian Mapleson's howto on his "SGI Advice and Technical Data" site is a great intro.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “IRIX and Software”