Irix version

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
robbo007
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Irix version

Unread postby robbo007 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 am

Hi all,
I've just obtained a Octane 2 workstation with Irix all ready installed. name -a says

IRIX64 6.5 04091957 IP30 Is this the latest version I can install on this machine? If not whats the latest version. I guess its not available to upgrade right?

Thanks,
Rob

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Irix version

Unread postby uunix » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:53 am

Try uname -Ra

6.5.30 is the last.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:58 pm

If it's not the latest, newer ones can be acquired online and burnt to discs with CDBurnerXP but you might need an external SCSI CD drive as the Octane 2 doesn't have one built in.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
robbo007
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Irix version

Unread postby robbo007 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 am

ok great thanks. Will I have to do a complete reinstall? Or can I upgrade somehow?

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Irix version

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:12 am

robbo007 wrote:ok great thanks. Will I have to do a complete reinstall? Or can I upgrade somehow?

Depending on what version you have you can usually upgrade with the so-called "overlay" CDs, what does uname -Ra tell you?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
robbo007
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Irix version

Unread postby robbo007 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:55 pm

IRIX64 octane2 6.5 6.5.20m 04091957 IP30

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Irix version

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:07 pm

robbo007 wrote:IRIX64 octane2 6.5 6.5.20m 04091957 IP30

The "m" in 6.5.20m indicates that your Octane has followed the "maintenance" upgrade stream, as opposed to the "feature" stream, but those streams were joined in either 6.5.21 or 22 (can't remember which). The overlay to upgrade to 6.5.21 was a free download when techpubs was still alive, presumably one of the many mirrors that our local members have established will have that download available...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

vishnu wrote:
robbo007 wrote:IRIX64 octane2 6.5 6.5.20m 04091957 IP30

The "m" in 6.5.20m indicates that your Octane has followed the "maintenance" upgrade stream, as opposed to the "feature" stream, but those streams were joined in either 6.5.21 or 22 (can't remember which). The overlay to upgrade to 6.5.21 was a free download when techpubs was still alive, presumably one of the many mirrors that our local members have established will have that download available...


Pretty sure 6.5.22m exists because old machines like the Indigo2 can run 6.5.22m but not 6.5.22f or anything newer. I had an older IRIX version than that (6.5.14 I think) on my O2 and was able to upgrade to 6.5.30 using overlay discs and software manager.

Apperantly I'm super wrong, I forget where I read that, ignore this post.
Last edited by Dodoid on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby foetz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Dodoid wrote:Pretty sure 6.5.22m exists because old machines like the Indigo2 can run 6.5.22m but not 6.5.22f or anything newer

the maintenance and feature streams do not depend on specific hardware. the difference is that the feature stream has additional, well, features :P
it was more expensive and shipped with one additional cd.

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:55 pm

foetz wrote:
Dodoid wrote:Pretty sure 6.5.22m exists because old machines like the Indigo2 can run 6.5.22m but not 6.5.22f or anything newer

the maintenance and feature streams do not depend on specific hardware. the difference is that the feature stream has additional, well, features :P
it was more expensive and shipped with one additional cd.


Huh, I read that somewhere but they must have been wrong. Edited post to say it was wrong.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby foetz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Dodoid wrote:Huh, I read that somewhere but they must have been wrong. Edited post to say it was wrong.

no prob at all. usually it's a good idea to keep in mind that the vast majority on the internet is at least partially wrong or incomplete. especially in case of non-mainstream stuff.

for the sake of completeness, starting from 6.5.23 feature and maintenance were the same. you could still switch for compatibility reasons but there was no difference otherwise anymore.

User avatar
robbo007
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Irix version

Unread postby robbo007 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:07 am

Thanks for the info. I managed to locate images of 6.5.30 and burnt them to cd's. The question will it work? 3 of the cd images where named: Installation tools and Overlays 1, 2, 3 the others are labelled Applications and Complementary Applications. I'm going to source a CDROM drive of eBay as this model does not have one. I see there internal y external options. Can I use the harddrive bays to conenct the cdrom?

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:22 am

robbo007 wrote:Thanks for the info. I managed to locate images of 6.5.30 and burnt them to cd's. The question will it work? 3 of the cd images where named: Installation tools and Overlays 1, 2, 3 the others are labelled Applications and Complementary Applications. I'm going to source a CDROM drive of eBay as this model does not have one. I see there internal y external options. Can I use the harddrive bays to conenct the cdrom?


Unfortunately, the Octane's hard drive bays are the wrong size for a CD-ROM. You will need an external SCSI one, unless there is some other method I'm not aware of.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

User avatar
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4881
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Wijchen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Irix version

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:30 am

Dodoid wrote:some other method I'm not aware of.

Network installation. But if this is your first IRIX installation I'd advise against that. Too many things that can go wrong.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

User avatar
robbo007
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Irix version

Unread postby robbo007 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:53 am

This will be my first. I've done loads of Solaris, Unix etc but Irix seem very different :) I've just found my original unopened floppy disks and users manual. I think I should read through it :)


Return to “IRIX and Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 1 guest