Headless desktop problem (dpl error)

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jessedewaard

Headless desktop problem (dpl error)

Unread postby jessedewaard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi guys, in a earlier post i asked about starting the Irix X11 system on a Indigo R3k without a keyboard and mouse attached.
I managed to do so but most apps of course only work with a keyboard and or mouse (except some demo's).

So i followed this article:
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Headless_desktop

Which to my surprise (kinda) worked within 10 minutes, i can login and Irix starts to the desktop and can start for example a terminal.
But the problem is that i get error messages regarding dgl being unable to connect to some port (see the attached image):
dgl error (TCP connect): Connection refused

xnest-irix4.0.5f_errors.png

Does anyone have a idea what could be the cause? maybe opening some ports on my Linux machine (Debian) or a config on Irix?

I use IRIX 4.0.5F due to low memory and the R3k.

Thanks

robespierre

Re: Headless desktop problem (dpl error)

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:42 pm

X11 can be redirected to any Xserver and displayed anywhere, but GL is more picky.
There are two different protocols, IrisGL (the original GL) and OpenGL. Irix 4.0.5 doesn't have OpenGL, all its applications use IrisGL. For IrisGL commands to be displayed on a remote host, the host needs to support DGL (Distributed GL), which is an SGI-proprietary protocol: it was never an open standard.
OpenGL came later and specified a standard method to display commands remotely, called GLX. So the chances of finding a non-SGI Xserver with GLX support are better, but most still do not support it.

The tl;dr is that you need an SGI to properly remote display SGI programs that use GL (including the file manager and desktop).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jessedewaard

Re: Headless desktop problem (dpl error)

Unread postby jessedewaard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Ah thanks robespierre i learned some thing today.
Searching the net i sadly didn't find any opensource DGL Xserver projects so using Linux for 4.0.5 is no option than.
I also have a indigo 2 with Irix 5.3 installed so ill try if i can get it to work via my indigo 2.
Now you say that OpenGL has a open protocol right, GLX? I program OpenGL on my Indigo 2 (Irix 5.3) so do you think that if i install Irix 5.3 on the Indigo that it will work?

Return to “IRIX and Software”