Help me: Install IRIX over Intel processor

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
shahrokh

Help me: Install IRIX over Intel processor

Unread postby shahrokh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 am

Hi, Dear IRIX users

I want to install IRIX (Version 5.3 (with CD) and or 6.5 (with iso file)) over my computer with the following specifications:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz × 2

I have the following OS that I can change it.
OS: Linux localhost.localdomain 4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 21 13:10:33 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I can install irix, I want to install my softwares that run only on irix and O2 R5000, R10000 and R12000 workstation. I have not access to these hardwares.

How can I emulate IRIX over my computer (linux or windows)? what do I use emulator? I have not much experience about OSs and programming but I am very diligent and tireless.

Can I emulate completely with graphics tools IRIX over my computer (linux or windows) ?
I notice that it is done probably with qemu or maxx and vmware esxi but i am not sure. Which would you recommend and why?
If this is not possible, how can I emulate irix over my computer? Please guide me. I try Boxes and VMWare and can not to do it.
I think that this is done with your advices and support.
Please HELP me. I am very happy to do it and I hope someone help me.
Best regards
Shahrokh

foetz

Re: Help me: Install IRIX over Intel processor

Unread postby foetz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:14 am

sorry that won't work

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:20 am

Unsure if this is a troll.. but..
You cannot install IRIX onto a x86 machine. I'm unaware of any MIPS emulator that would run IRIX, the closest you will get is MAX-Desktop on a Linux distro (Has to be a certain one also) which would give you the look and feel of the IRIX desktop.

Also there would be no running of IRIX native apps, you would have to run alternate LINUX ports if they exist.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:34 am

You need to find SimOS archives, but don't expect graphics or multimedia support
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

shahrokh

Unread postby shahrokh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Do you means of Maxx desktop is "Indigo Magic Desktop for Linux beta" by Eric Masson? Can it emulate irix? What can I get it? I can not find any link to download it in the web site of sourceforge?!

What is your opinion about vmware esix? Please look at this web site: " https://www.sgi.com/products/software/v ... ation.html" Can I use it (vmware esix) to emulate irix?

What version of Linux is closer to it irix?
Thanks a lot for your guidance.
Shahrokh

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:26 am

shahrokh wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies.

Do you means of Maxx desktop is "Indigo Magic Desktop for Linux beta" by Eric Masson? Can it emulate irix? What can I get it? I can not find any link to download it in the web site of sourceforge?!

What is your opinion about vmware esix? Please look at this web site: " https://www.sgi.com/products/software/v ... ation.html" Can I use it (vmware esix) to emulate irix?

What version of Linux is closer to it irix?
Thanks a lot for your guidance.
Shahrokh

IRIX emulation on PCs has been attempted a lot, but never done successfully. The thing to remember here is that though MIPS processors have been emulated by numerous projects, SGI computers have lots of hardware besides the CPU that the operating system relies on. In order to run IRIX on a PC (we will use an Octane as the example here), you would need to emulate not only the CPU (let's say an R10000), but also graphics (let's say SI), system architecture features like Xtalk and the HEART ASIC, and other important bits like SCSI controllers and miscellaneous hardware which handles numerous tasks. Maxx desktop is a Linux desktop environment that looks like IRIX, but does not run IRIX software or emulate SGI system features. It's meant for IRIX users who want their Linux computers to be more familiar to them, not as a means to run IRIX software on a PC.

Unfortunately, SGI no longer develops IRIX. ESXi is intended to run virtual machines on SGIs modern PC based supercomputers. The virtual systems run Linux, not IRIX, so even if you had a modern SGI computer, you could only virtualize Linux, not IRIX.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 am

It's possible that if you told of your location, someone may be nearby to sell/donate an INDY or something, then you could run the real thing.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

shahrokh

Unread postby shahrokh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies and excellent support.
I am in Iran, the city of Mashhad. I do not think that the specific computers, such as SGI, is available in the market of Iran. I was hoping to use emulators for irix running.
Again, I am very grateful to my friends to reply for my questions.
Best regards.
Shahrokh

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:05 pm

A viable option for you might be to purchase an Indy on eBay. Or even better, contact Ian Mapleson at sgidepot.co.uk and purchase a system from him. He will get you started and provides excellent support.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:40 pm

shahrokh wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies and excellent support.
I am in Iran, the city of Mashhad. I do not think that the specific computers, such as SGI, is available in the market of Iran. I was hoping to use emulators for irix running.
Again, I am very grateful to my friends to reply for my questions.
Best regards.
Shahrokh

There are probably some ways to buy an SGI of some sort in Iran. I don't know what online shopping websites are popular there, but you could check if any of them offer used electronics. If you have a local classified ads website (here in Canada we use Kijiji which is how I got my SGIs, in the USA they use Craigslist) there may be something there as well.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:15 am

The closest you get to an IRIX emulator is QuickTransit. This was commissioned by SGI when they migrated to Itanium, and it allows IRIX applications to run on Linux/Itanium systems. It was written specifically for this task. As Dodoid rightly says, there's a lot more to emulating an SGI system than just emulating a MIPS CPU!

Of course, it won't work for x86 processors, only Itanium. I'm not aware of any emulation software that allows IRIX or IRIX apps to run on an x86 system.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 am

You could emulate an Itanium on x86 and run QuickTransit in that? 8-)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

shahrokh

Unread postby shahrokh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:26 am

Hi, Dear jan-jaap
Thanks, thanks a lot. Did I get and understand it right that I can emulate IRIX with QuickTransit in Intel processor?!!!!!! :shock: :?:
Also simultaneously, I consulted with our supervisor in the computer site about providing SGI workstation.

Also, I read the following sentences during googling. This statement is very interesting and amazing :shock: :shock:
"QuickTransit is a cross-platform virtualization program developed by Transitive Corporation. It allows software compiled for one specific processor and operating system combination to be executed on a different processor and/or operating system architecture without source code or binary changes."
Please explain this to me.
Last edited by shahrokh on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:40 am

Greetings Shahrokh and welcome to the forum,

QuickTransit is a software package for running IRIX applications on Itanium processors in Linux. This does not allow you to run the IRIX Operating System on QuickTransit, simply because IRIX is not an application.

Apart form purchasing an SGI machine (An Indy would probably the easiest to source), the only other option of running IRIX on an Intel PC is to complete the emulators currently attempting to emulate an Indy or O2, see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16730487 and viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16723922
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:22 pm

dexter1 wrote:Greetings Shahrokh and welcome to the forum,

QuickTransit is a software package for running IRIX applications on Itanium processors in Linux. This does not allow you to run the IRIX Operating System on QuickTransit, simply because IRIX is not an application.

Apart form purchasing an SGI machine (An Indy would probably the easiest to source), the only other option of running IRIX on an Intel PC is to complete the emulators currently attempting to emulate an Indy or O2, see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16730487 and viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16723922

The first post in this thread says he needs to run a piece of IRIX software which supposedly requires an O2 with R5000, R10000, or R12000. If he could run his software under QuickTransit, that might work, but seeing as the software says that it needs an O2 says nothing about other machines (What about the Octane? Indigo2?), it may require O2 hardware in some way, although I can't think of what an O2 would do that an Octane wouldn't.

I would wonder about the feasibility of obtaining QuickTransit, especially with emulation. When Apple licensed it for their Rosetta technology, it required that Mac logic boards contain a TPM chip. Hackintoshes could run without the TPM, but could not use Rosetta. I would wonder if that means SGI QuickTransit would only work on a real Prism, or whether it could be emulated?

Return to “IRIX and Software”