Blank screen after attempts IRIX 6.5.30 upgrade

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
archaic

Blank screen after attempts IRIX 6.5.30 upgrade

Unread postby archaic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:18 am

I was attempting an upgrade from 6.5.23f to 6.5.30 and when I came back to check on it the screen had gone to a blank blue and then I got the PROM terminal box after typing on the keyboard. I could not interact, but the machine did shut down cleanly with the power button. I never got to exit the software manager, so no rqsall was run to my knowledge. The machine is booting because I can ssh into it fine. I ran the rqsall optimization that is found on the nekoware main page, but that did not fix the problem. I am at a loss of what to do next.

I am thinking that this has something to do with the graphics software since the machine is booting fine. Maybe I was supposed to run a patch before the upgrade, or maybe 6.5.30 cares about the v1.2 front plane with the V8 that I have where 6.5.23 did not. Is this just a total loss and i should start from scratch, or do you guys think there is a way to recover from this?

Patrick
Patrick

- You have got to be kidding... -

SAQ

Re: Blank screen after attempts IRIX 6.5.30 upgrade

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:53 pm

It's not the XBOW rev - that's only an issue with V10/V12 (I have verified that it is an issue, not merely an unsupported config).
Several questions - did you get the textport terminal that displays the IRIX bootup process (alternatively you can use the single-user boot mode from the PROM monitor to do a similar thing). This will check to see if the microcode is being properly loaded and the GL interface is up, as otherwise the screen will stop working after control transfers from the PROM to IRIX.

Second - do you have a serial console? Errors will often be logged to the first serial port, also check in the syslog for clues.

My initial read is that the graphics were not properly installed. Poke around in /usr/gfx and see if everything is there, with appropriate links to /usr/lib32, /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib for the GL libraries.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

archaic

Re: Blank screen after attempts IRIX 6.5.30 upgrade

Unread postby archaic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm

SAQ wrote:It's not the XBOW rev - that's only an issue with V10/V12 (I have verified that it is an issue, not merely an unsupported config).
Several questions - did you get the textport terminal that displays the IRIX bootup process (alternatively you can use the single-user boot mode from the PROM monitor to do a similar thing). This will check to see if the microcode is being properly loaded and the GL interface is up, as otherwise the screen will stop working after control transfers from the PROM to IRIX.

Second - do you have a serial console? Errors will often be logged to the first serial port, also check in the syslog for clues.

My initial read is that the graphics were not properly installed. Poke around in /usr/gfx and see if everything is there, with appropriate links to /usr/lib32, /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib for the GL libraries.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up booting off of the 6.5.30 cds and it wanted to fix the miniroot. It also listed a whole bunch of stuff and then asked me if I would like to run the unfinished exit commands from the last session. I did so and it seemed to fix all of the broken links and I am able to log into the system normally. There are a few things left to check that it prompts me about, but at least I can login to the systyem on the console now.

Patrick
Patrick

- You have got to be kidding... -

Return to “IRIX and Software”