How to Reset Workspace

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
faultywarrior

How to Reset Workspace

Unread postby faultywarrior » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm new to SGI's, so forgive me if there is an obvious way to do this. When I got my Fuel, I "cleaned up" the desktop and other area of the workspace (removed icons, removed the launcher, etc.)...you can see where this is going. Is there any easy way to reset the entire user workspace to factory defaults? Given I was logged in as root, which is what I want, I'd rather not have to wipe the system and reinstall IRIX from scratch; so any solution would be great!

foetz

Re: How to Reset Workspace

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:48 pm

welcome faultywarrior :-)

what you're asking for is not sgi or irix specific but a general unix task. if you wanna "reset" a user account just delete all personal files and folders in the user's home folder or alternatively delete the user's home folder completely.
on irix however the root account's default home is / so obviously you can't delete that :P instead you have to delete all user specific files from there. mostly that are the hidden files and folders prefixed with a dot and some others. which exactly depends on what you've been using so far.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 pm

I think the relevant files are .Sgiresources and .dtEnvPref, along with .desktop-* files (which are per-hostname)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

wenp

Unread postby wenp » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:04 pm

On IRIX, are there any dotfiles in the user home directory that you can't just delete and let the system automatically generate what it needs?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 pm

wenp wrote:On IRIX, are there any dotfiles in the user home directory that you can't just delete and let the system automatically generate what it needs?

no. same as for any other unix

faultywarrior

Unread postby faultywarrior » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks for all of the replies! Deleting the files robespierre said to did the trick!

Return to “IRIX and Software”