running binary without hardware?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Markus1201

running binary without hardware?

Unread postby Markus1201 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 am

Hello!

I've got a binary, which I think, is intended to be run on an INDY.

Code: Select all

$ file myelf
myelf: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /usr/lib/libc.so.1, not stripped
$ strings myelf | grep SGI
SGI_SVR4
SGI_IRIX

Is there a way to run this without the appropriate hardware? Maybe using qemu-mips of something similar? I don't have any libraries, how do I know, which version of libc.so.1 I need and where can I get it from?

dexter1

Re: running binary without hardware?

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 am

At the moment, there is no open source software emulation of a SGI MIPS machine yet. Some code-projects are working on this, most notably MESS, but it is still in development.

How do you know that it is supposed to run on an Indy, btw? The mips-I abi was mainly used in early 4D SGI era, although i think mips-I can be run on an Indy, provided there is a mips-I compatible libc around. For that you may have to revert to IRIX 5.3 software which was the earliest supported IRIX for the Indy.

Running ldd on an IRIX system might identify the libc versions and a program to dump COFF data like odump or maybe beter elfdump might give more info on the object tables used by the program.

I would suggest to help yourself to an Indy and try it out :) Low spec indy's are pretty cheap these days.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 am

Markus1201 wrote:

Code: Select all

$ file myelf
myelf: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /usr/lib/libc.so.1, not stripped

dexter1 wrote:The mips-I abi was mainly used in early 4D SGI era, although i think mips-I can be run on an Indy, provided there is a mips-I compatible libc around. For that you may have to revert to IRIX 5.3 software which was the earliest supported IRIX for the Indy.

* MIPS1 is the instruction set of the R3000. Newer CPUs are a superset, so will execute MIPS1 instructions.
* The binary is an ELF binary, so for IRIX 5.3 or newer. But it could be for IRIX 6.5. In either case IRIX 6.5 will happily run IRIX 5.3 binaries.
* Re. the 4D's: are you sure you're not referring to the old COFF binaries of IRIX 4.x and before? This binary is clearly an ELF binary.

FWIW: NetBSD up to some point had IRIX syscall emulation. But that's not a CPU emulation -- you need NetBSD-MIPS. And the IRIX runtime libraries. So you might as well run IRIX natively ...
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Markus1201

Unread postby Markus1201 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 am

If I was sure it would run on an INDY and there is no emulation available, I would definitely get one. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give the file away for testing. Is there any more information I can provide? INDY was just a bit more than a guess. By the way, the time stamp states March, 1997.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:48 am

jan-jaap wrote:* Re. the 4D's: are you sure you're not referring to the old COFF binaries of IRIX 4.x and before? This binary is clearly an ELF binary.

You're right, it is an ELF, i see it now. I blame it on the heat impairing my cognitive skills :)
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:04 pm

All IRIX ELF binaries will contain the chars "__rld_obj_head". This distinguishes them from MIPS files from other systems.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Markus1201

Unread postby Markus1201 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:11 pm

robespierre wrote:All IRIX ELF binaries will contain the chars "__rld_obj_head". This distinguishes them from MIPS files from other systems.

Yes it does, 5 times. I think I'll be looking for an Indy.

Thanks!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Markus1201 wrote:I think I'll be looking for an Indy.

unless you have more specific info, going by what you posted there's no indication that the binary you have is meant for an indy. it's compatible with an indy but will also run on any other machine that can run irix 5.x or higher.

Return to “IRIX and Software”