Is there any legitimate-ish way to get MIPSPro anymore?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
commodorejohn

Is there any legitimate-ish way to get MIPSPro anymore?

Unread postby commodorejohn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm always interested in toying around with development on my various old computers, and I'd like to be able to play around with programming on my O2 for a few different reasons. Of course, there's the GCC option, but I'm not terribly fond of that compiler (though I'll use it if there's no better solution.) I'd like to give MIPSPro a try, but that has the whole licensing issue going on. I understand SGI used to have a developer program you could apply for that could get one a license for the compiler, but the only links I can find for it have disappeared down the black hole of "we totally reinvented our website, who needs backwards compatibility?" between then and now. Is this still an option? If not: I'm not going to ask for cracks here for obvious reasons, but is there any other legitimate-ish way to get to the point of being able to run MIPSPro without the nag screens?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: Is there any legitimate-ish way to get MIPSPro anymore?

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Probably not. Seems SGI has pretty much washed it's hands of anything to do with IRIX. Only way is to go digging in the cyber wilderness.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Ai yi yi. I was afraid of that.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

cybercow

Unread postby cybercow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:17 pm

As i remember correctly you can run cc without permanent licence for trial purposes, it will suggest you to in fact get it, with listing now non existing addreses, but it will compile your Hello World without problem.

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Yeah, I don't recall anybody reporting success in licensing MIPSpro since I returned in (check "Joined" date next to this post). But for the first few years at least, that may have been more because of the cost than availability... Forum searches may turn up post-Dev program quotes, for your entertainment.

There are a few packages/products that get mentioned from time to time...

Clang/LLVM
There are a few threads in the forums on this one. Regan had a port on GitHub, there's also a stub NekoWiki entry. ShadeOfBlue posted his patches for LLVM 3.2 in this response to a 2014 forum thread on on Clang/LLVM on IRIX.

Open64
Open64 is the FOSS descendant of the MIPSpro compilers. Allegedly, it supports MIPS CPUs (first release didn't IIRC) in the later releases - IRIX support is present but deprecated in the last 5.0 release, according to the README. I guess we can ignore the note about it being removed in the next release... Here's a forum post by rwengerter in 2010 on this topic. But the project appears to have ended between 2013 and 2015. Sourceforge has a number of releases archived but I haven't tried them, on any platform. The project website at http://www.open64.net appears to have disappeared.

See the Sourceforge page for more info - this link might download the 5.0 source tarball.

There's also some info on Wikipedia's Open64 page.
Here's an article noting the passing of the project website.

Blackbird
Wikipedia claims, in the Open64 page above, that MIPSpro is commercially available as "Blackbird" from Reservoir Labs. That may have been renamed the R-Stream Compiler, but this article at Highbeam Research claims this deal was only for embedded targets...

PathScale
PathScale also got rights to the MIPSpro codebase, but everything I've seen indicates that they only focus on 64-bit Linux-based platforms - ia64 and x86_64. And besides,the MSRP for the EKOPath 6 package is US$1,795... See PathScale's website or the Wikipedia page for more.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 am

Re Open64 and PathScale: back in the early days of IA64 it turned out to be pretty hard to build a good, optimizing compiler for it. That's why SGI released large chunks of the MIPSpro compilers as open source. They removed the front end which wasn't theirs, but licensed from EDG, and used GCC. They never released the MIPS back-end, but included an IA64 back-end.

This was known as Pro64.

Several companies and organizations picked up this codebase. An x86-64 back-end was added, but others as well. Even a new, independent MIPS back-end. I think NVIDIA even used it as a cuda compiler? Basically, Open64 became the research compiler, a vehicle for compiler research used by universities etc, and PathScale became the commercial variant.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “IRIX and Software”