Playing youtube over RDP is sluggish.. but you can zoom in on irix

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
necron2600

Playing youtube over RDP is sluggish.. but you can zoom in on irix

Unread postby necron2600 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Ok, I figure I can share a new tidbit I started to use while working with an SGI/IRIX as a daily system. I do everything on it, but some things I have to remote desktop into a windows system for (using seamlessrdp so it looks native to IRIX desktop) .. MS word for docx files, Powerpoint, and Skype.

However, Youtube is something that I may waste my life away on that is very poor for viewing over an RDP connection (especially with a 100 gigabit NIC on an Octane with 1920x1200 resolution so images are even smaller). A youtube video does go smoothly if it is reduced to a very small window on the windows desktop. But that becomes too small for me .. and hard to make details out.

Well, it may be a hacky way to do it, but I use the irix command "oglsnoop" to zoom in on the youtube window. I make oglsnoop's window as wide as possible and zoom out several times so the youtube window fits properly in the zoom window. If I had the youtube window in the remote desktop session enlarged to the same size, it would be like watching a slideshow. So at least now I can see a larger smoothly playing youtube video.

If anyone else knows of a better way, or even a better zoom ability in IRIX, i'm all ears.
Attachments
oglsnoop.jpg
Last edited by foetz on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged

toasty

Re: Playing youtube over RDP is sluggish.. but you can zoom in on irix

Unread postby toasty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Looks pretty cool. But if you want to watch youtube vids natively on IRIX, there is a way! Get neko_youtube_dl from beta (neko_python required) and run

Code: Select all

youtube-dl -U
as root to update the script to the latest version. Then just download a video and play it with neko_mplayer.

With VPro graphics, run

youtube-dl -f 18 "URL"
to download a 640x360 mp4 video. Make sure to use the vo=gl option in mplayer otherwise it will be scrambled.

On slower systems (even on an O2), use

youtube-dl -f 36 "URL"
to download a 320x180 video.

You can also use the updated youtube-dl script to download music from soundcloud onto your SGI.

This might be common knowledge for some of you already but thought I'd share.
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow

Return to “IRIX and Software”