archive.org -- SGI Software Library

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
R-ten-K

Re: archive.org -- SGI Software Library

Unread postby R-ten-K » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:33 pm

LOL. I'm starting to get why a colleague recently added systemd to the list of interview items/questions he uses to filter out candidates for IT positions.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:18 pm

dexter1 wrote:
vishnu wrote:Slackware doesn't use systemd... :mrgreen:

slackware.png
slackware.png (72.63 KiB) Viewed 70 times

My first Linux system in '93 </misty-eyed>

It's yet to be seen how long that will last. It might not ever get systemd, but Slackware is a candidate for the Dead Pool.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Krokodil wrote:
dexter1 wrote:
vishnu wrote:Slackware doesn't use systemd... :mrgreen:

slackware.png
slackware.png (72.63 KiB) Viewed 69 times

My first Linux system in '93 </misty-eyed>

It's yet to be seen how long that will last. It might not ever get systemd, but Slackware is a candidate for the Dead Pool.

It might not have the market share it once had (*cough* 100 percent *cough* stick that up your Ubuntu and smoke it!) but I would argue that the upcoming release of 14.2 is as up-to-date as any of the currently popular distributions, which have whole giant companies behind them (mucking up the works). :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

rosmaniac

Unread postby rosmaniac » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:47 am

robespierre wrote:Archive.Org seems to skate under the Fair Use defense for everything that they do. Mirroring web pages without prior permission is not sanctioned by the copyright laws either.
They have a project to upload and share every CD-ROM ever published.

It would be nice if they would get 6.5.30 up.... I'm missing a couple, and one is scratched (my youngest son used to think CD's were playthings to throw, and while I did let him sail some 8 inch floppies that had nothing useful on them, he decided that Daddy's box with those 8 inch floppies was just full of toys..... ). I have a 6.5.24 overlay set on the way from an eBay seller, but was hoping to get up to 6.5.30; and the eBay sellers who want $425 or $700 for a set..... well, I can't swing that. Oh well, it is what it is.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:56 pm

rosmaniac wrote:...I have a 6.5.24 overlay set on the way from an eBay seller, but was hoping to get up to 6.5.30; and the eBay sellers who want $425 or $700 for a set..... well, I can't swing that. Oh well, it is what it is.

Well, you could always be bold, daring and reckless, and fill this out clicking "other" and asking for 6.5.30. Personally, I'd be more than a little interested in their response. If they say "no we won't sell it to you" it basically amounts to carde blanche to find it anywhere you possibly can in the wild. Of course, then (according to the letter of the law) you have to contact them again and ask to buy license to actually use it. Once again I'd be interested in their response. If they say "no we won't sell you a license...." :twisted:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

rosmaniac

Unread postby rosmaniac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 am

FWIW, I decided to stick with 6.5.22, which overlays I have from my Supportfolio download long ago, to go with the 6.5.19 CD set (AWE set) I also bought, long ago.

It would be interesting to see if someone was successful in doing a scratch install with only what is up on archive.org. I may try that myself on my I2/R10K, once I find another drive that will work in it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fleeno

Unread postby Fleeno » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 am

I've been wanting to install the developer tools on my O2 running 6.5.

They seem to have 6.5 developer foundation and developer library images, and one called the "MIPSPro all-compiler" image. Is that what I would need, and has anyone tried to install from the archive.org images before?

Thanks!
:O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane: :Indy: :BA123:

thisoldsgi

Unread postby thisoldsgi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:03 pm

FWIW, I got in touch with "Sketch the Cow" who is uploading those SGI disc images to archive.org. He indicated that he would love to get more uploads and can provide an archive.org FTP account for anyone with "a ton" of stuff to upload.

PM me if you would like his email address. He seems to take a while to reply to emails, but be an overall good guy.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:45 am

SGI may not care, but that does not mean that SGI's licensors will not care. Best to tread carefully and slowly, and not "tickle the tiger's tail" or some similar phrase that came up at one point.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

dhjj

Unread postby dhjj » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:32 am

More likely they would say, "what is IRIX", followed by, "do you have a support agreement?"

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:52 pm

SAQ wrote:SGI may not care, but that does not mean that SGI's licensors will not care. Best to tread carefully and slowly, and not "tickle the tiger's tail" or some similar phrase that came up at one point.

To be fair. It's most unlikely these licensors would waste time and effort, that they don't have to begin with, on IP/Software this ancient. There's no there there, i.e. there's no tiger.

PS. I'm not condoning anything. Or encouraging people to do any action whatsoever. Etc, etc.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

strong_epoxy

Unread postby strong_epoxy » Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 pm

LOL. I'm starting to get why a colleague recently added systemd to the list of interview items/questions he uses to filter out candidates for IT positions.

Sounds like he's the problem.

Skillz in new, widely adopted technology is not cause for dismissal.
:Cube: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy: :320: :1600SW: :Fuel: :Onyx2:

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Archive.org will more likely go down because of something else, instead of old SGI IRIX software.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “IRIX and Software”