Word Perfect 6.0

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
josehill
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: New England, USA
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby josehill » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:24 am

nekonoko wrote:Might be on the Nekochan FTP someplace. I seem to remember having it there.

Edit: I couldn't find it, so I stuck a copy I found in my archives there. Not sure if it's different from what's out there or not though.


Cool! Thanks! The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:50 am

josehill wrote:The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.

it is, extracted without a problem. however it extracts with the full path which is / :shock:
so i re-packed it with relative paths and put it up. this saves neko some bandwidth and there's no 16kb/s limit either :P

Code: Select all

r-a-c.de/sgi/wp6.tar.bz2
Last edited by foetz on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:22 am

ivelegacy wrote:@foetz
have you installed it ?
is it a demo ? if so, which are its limits ?

haven't tried it yet but will do so later. gonna post my findings then of course

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1796
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby uunix » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 am

I bought it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:34 am

foetz wrote:
josehill wrote:The nekochan file is a few hundred kilobytes bigger than the one at Corel, so I take that as a good sign.

it is, extracted without a problem. however it extracts with the full path which is / :shock:
so i re-packed it with relative paths and put it up. this saves neko some bandwidth and there's no 16kb/s limit either :P

Code: Select all

r-a-c.de/sgi/wp6.bz2


Cool, thanks for checking! I updated the local copy with your file as well.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 pm

uunix wrote:I bought it.

nice, please let us know some details once it has arrived :-)

User avatar
josehill
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: New England, USA
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby josehill » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 pm

ivelegacy wrote:if i write that I want to use wordeditor to document my things (things that MUST use a word editors features like notes/bold/italics/underlined/font/size etc etc) i perfectly know the difference between a text editor and a word editor !

A lot of people who join the forum are new to the platform, and I was just trying to help, in case you were in that category. Frankly, when we get questions about desktop programs like WordPerfect, they're usually from people who are coming from a PC environment, are new to Unix, and they don't usually know the difference between a text editor and a word processor. No offense intended.

User avatar
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: near King George, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:28 pm

ivelegacy wrote:if i write that I want to use wordeditor to document my things (things that MUST use a word editors features like notes/bold/italics/underlined/font/size etc etc) i perfectly know the difference between a text editor and a word editor !


WordPerfect and other word processing applications on IRIX follow two rules:

They're old, and proprietary, like WordPerfect.

They're old and open source, like OpenOffice.

If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over. Otherwise, updating Abiword or providing us with another productivity application from BSD or Linux-land would be appreciated. You know the old adage: If you don't like how someone else does it, you might as well do it yourself.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

User avatar
hamei
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby hamei » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:22 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over.

This is actually a huge project, much bigger than it looks on the surface. Just building the thing took something like eight hours on an O3000 .... there are some threads here from the time the original was done with input from the guy who did it, check them out.

In fact, we're lucky to have the version we do. I hate the thing but it can be useful.

Possibly the most useful thing the entire non-M$ world could use would be a good doc/docx-to-rtf converter. Or maybe doc-to-postscript. Many non-mainstream word processors can work with rtf. It's possible already to import rtf's but getting the general public to pay attention to what they are doing, ha ! good luck with that.

Antiword would be a potential starting point.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:04 pm

hamei wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote:If you're a Gentoo MIPS developer, why not use a Gentoo box with remote X to pull a recent Libreoffice or Apache OpenOffice copy over.

This is actually a huge project, much bigger than it looks on the surface. Just building the thing took something like eight hours on an O3000 .... there are some threads here from the time the original was done with input from the guy who did it, check them out.

In fact, we're lucky to have the version we do. I hate the thing but it can be useful.

if i got that right TeamBlackFox suggested using an office on gentoo and just using the sgi for x.

User avatar
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: near King George, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Yeah that's what I meant foetz.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

User avatar
hamei
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby hamei » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:11 pm

foetz wrote:if i got that right TeamBlackFox suggested using an office on gentoo and just using the sgi for x.

In that case, skip the waste of electricity and run it on any old Loonix box directly. What's the point of Irix if all you do is display gtk2/qt/gtk3 Loonix programs on it ? Additional complexity that adds nothing .. why bother ?
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby foetz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 pm

hamei wrote:What's the point of Irix if all you do is display gtk2/qt/gtk3 Loonix programs on it ? Additional complexity that adds nothing .. why bother ?

of course. that only makes sense if the loonix box is running anyway

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, I don't know about you guys but I can't get XSgi to accept a firefox window from my loonix-- damn, now he's got me doing it, linux box because XSgi is missing the RANDR extention. Been meaning to look into that for a while now, anyone know where sgi keeps the source code for their version of X? 8-)
Last edited by vishnu on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Location: near King George, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Word Perfect 6.0

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm

:shrug: I've gotten my home infra to the point that browsing the internet from Sakuya or Alice isn't really a priority. Just have my FreeBSD or NetBSD boxes download it onto an NFSv3 share, and I have it as fast, if not faster, than trying to use Fireflop or Dicklow.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha


Return to “IRIX and Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests