Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Remote Display question
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 pm 

hi guys! i tried this feature suggested by hamei with his O2 and O300 to my O2 and Octane.
I followed the guides but what happened is I CAN see the Toolchest of my O2 from my Octane, BUT i CANNOT access my Octane's Toolchest from my O2. They are all in the same network and both end can ping each other. I'm not sure which workstation miss something, sorry for this noob questions, is this about daemons i haven't set properly? or network configuration? will investigate more later after office, thanks in advance! :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 am 

Might be an issue with xhost configuration.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:27 am 

josehill wrote:
Might be an issue with xhost configuration.

thanks jose! hmm i see, but before i tried this i made sure on my /etc/hosts file, i manually put each its opposites IP address and names, i mean on Octane i put the O2s host info and vice versa and restarted. theni tried to ping using their names its ok. will try to use xhost+ on both end and see if it helps. but i thought if i use the Enable Remote display, this is already handled right? will investigate then

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:23 am 

geo wrote:
... i thought if i use the Enable Remote display, this is already handled right? will investigate then

Should be but maybe didn't stick ? Have the same user on both machines ? Have you tried < rlogin -l (username) (remote_hostname)> ? Might give you a hint ... if that works and you get a remote terminal open, then try <some_binaryname -display (local_hostname)> [e.g. <nedit textile -display O2_name>] and see what happens. That should open your application and display it on the local host.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:37 am 

hi hamei! how's the weather up there? :)

hamei wrote:
Should be but maybe didn't stick ? Have the same user on both machines ?

hmm i see, no, i logged in as root but when i access the toolchest of my octane i used guest. same as i did to access O2's toolchest in which it works fine

hamei wrote:
Have you tried < rlogin -l (username) (remote_hostname)> ? Might give you a hint ... if that works and you get a remote terminal open, then try <some_binaryname -display (local_hostname)> [e.g. <nedit textile -display O2_name>] and see what happens. That should open your application and display it on the local host.

no i haven't yet, ok2 will give it a try later when im off duty and report back tomorrow, thanks!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:08 am 

geo wrote:

It's so nasty I dropped in to Hell this morning for a few minutes to cool off. Gotta be worse where you are tho. I hate this time of year, all those boobs on display but I'm too lethargic to appreciate it. What a waste :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 am 

geo wrote:

hamei wrote:
Should be but maybe didn't stick ? Have the same user on both machines ?

hmm i see, no, i logged in as root but when i access the toolchest of my octane i used guest. same as i did to access O2's toolchest in which it works fine

hamei wrote:
Have you tried < rlogin -l (username) (remote_hostname)> ? Might give you a hint ... if that works and you get a remote terminal open, then try <some_binaryname -display (local_hostname)> [e.g. <nedit textile -display O2_name>] and see what happens. That should open your application and display it on the local host.

no i haven't yet, ok2 will give it a try later when im off duty and report back tomorrow, thanks!!

You do need to double-check to make sure that all account names have the same UID on both ends.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 am 

hamei wrote:
It's so nasty I dropped in to Hell this morning for a few minutes to cool off. Gotta be worse where you are tho. I hate this time of year, all those boobs on display but I'm too lethargic to appreciate it. What a waste

hahaha indeed! if there's worse than Hell, then its here!! even my air condition is useless, just sleep half naked ;)
hahaha and are you sure those a real? :shock: me, i like this time coz plenty of shiny legs can be seen ;)

ok i tried rlogin and result is:
From Octane to O2 = its ok, i can connect
From O2 to Octane = Connection refused :(

Already check all network related files and daemons, both machines are the same

SAQ wrote:
You do need to double-check to make sure that all account names have the same UID on both ends.

hi SAQ! hmm sorry noob question but how can i check this parameter? i use guest to access the toolchest or thru rlogin, still the same

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 am 

geo wrote:
hi SAQ! hmm sorry noob question but how can i check this parameter? i use guest to access the toolchest or thru rlogin, still the same

On UNIX systems, users are actually tracked by the system by their UID, which is a number, and not by username. UIDs are set in /etc/password (the third field in the colon delimited file), and the id command gives you details via the command line.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm 

geo wrote:
hahaha and are you sure those a real? :shock: me, i like this time coz plenty of shiny legs can be seen ;)

All the way up to where they stop, in some cases :)

About the boobs, proper identification is a skill to be developed through long and arduous study, grasshopper. The giveway is motion. The big bra, small boobs disguise does not swing and sway properly. Neither does the foam rubber system. Only the True Example will correctly jiggle, jounce, and in the best cases, float rythmically from side to side. Observe them on a walking carrier, that's the best training.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm 

josehill wrote:
On UNIX systems, users are actually tracked by the system by their UID, which is a number, and not by username. UIDs are set in /etc/password (the third field in the colon delimited file), and the id command gives you details via the command line.

thanks jose!! geez why i forgot about this, i used this when setting up SFU on my WinXP :( thanks again and already utilized it

checking at the passwd file on both system, there were three difference:
root = password field (not necessary)
nobody = octane has 60001 UID and GID; while o2 has -2 UID and GID
geo = my user name which only exist on my octane

ok my questions are:
* should GID also be the same as possible? or just the UID is enough?
* should i create geo on my o2 to have it the same as my octane?
* which one should i use for nobody, 60001 or -2?

hamei wrote:
All the way up to where they stop, in some cases

About the boobs, proper identification is a skill to be developed through long and arduous study, grasshopper. The giveway is motion. The big bra, small boobs disguise does not swing and sway properly. Neither does the foam rubber system. Only the True Example will correctly jiggle, jounce, and in the best cases, float rythmically from side to side. Observe them on a walking carrier, that's the best training.

hahaha indeed ;)

wow! nice info hamei! will keep that in mind hehe but geez good for you there still got those bouncing balls around, here? most have "airport" as they call it here hehe really waste of beautiful faces, just don't have the bumpers, if only have, perfect!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 pm 

geo wrote:
[ ... there still got those bouncing balls around, here? most have "airport" as they call it here hehe really waste of beautiful faces, just don't have the bumpers, if only have, perfect!

geo, I'm starting to worry about your eyes. You're in the south, right ? Do they have you locked up in the guy's dormitory or something ? You need some new friends who know where to go. Say after me, kay tee vee .....

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 pm 

hamei wrote:
geo, I'm starting to worry about your eyes. You're in the south, right ? Do they have you locked up in the guy's dormitory or something ? You need some new friends who know where to go. Say after me, kay tee vee .....

hahaha i guess i need to buy a new glasses hehe yup! south as hell bwahahaha you're right, i live on a dormitory but lucky me got better treatment compare with the locals ;) but still hell.. hahaha how about massage bars? ^^ yeah those were the days.. but after one of my paesano has his near death experience (police raid while he...) i think its wise not to take that risk hehehe time to hunt on another new forest... HK :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:13 am 

If you're using rlogin/rsh, make sure you've set up $HOME/.rhosts for the accounts in question, or /etc/hosts.equiv for each participating system - in addition to making sure the accounts exist and the UIDs match. See the man pages for rsh(1) and hosts.equiv(5).

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 am 

UID is the important one. If you have the same GIDs then it can make some admin simpler, but is not necessary (the local system is responsible for groups, so if the UID is in the right group it has access).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)