Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 am 

Hi all,

I have :

IRIX BOX (say Fuel) with 6.5.30 and Macbook with OSX running emacs.

I'm trying to edit remote files on Fuel using emacs (running on osx), usually the best solution is to use TRAMP (via ssh or anything),
but what happens, is that when using ssh/scp/sftp tramp freezes after asking for password (and sometimes it freezes the whole emacs).
I only got further when setting telnet as the access method (which is fine with me), but then I got part of the file intertwined with some garbage (it's a c source file).

Did you guys have similar experience ?

The ssh may be hopeless (due to some IRIX oddities with remote prompts and the way it's handled in TRAMP), telnet gave me some hope but probably encoding is messed up...

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:30 am 

kubatyszko wrote:

I'm trying to edit remote files on Fuel using emacs (running on osx)

This is crude but vnc works for a quick-n-dirty answer ......

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 am 

Just so I'm clear, you've got a c source file on your Fuel that you want to edit on your Macbook? Why not just setup a SMB share with your source code?

If you've doing cross-platform development, you might want to simply use SVN or CVS to check in/checkout code from each platform. That's what I do when I have cross-platform development at work and for personnel projects.

Another option to consider, yesterday I was asked to make modifications to all 3 platforms our app runs on (Windows Phone 7, iOS and Android). Since you can't do iOS development on anything but a Mac, I simply have 1 Visual Studio for Windows Phone 7, 1 for Android and a TurboVNC connection to the iMac.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:34 am 

hamei wrote:
kubatyszko wrote:

I'm trying to edit remote files on Fuel using emacs (running on osx)

This is crude but vnc works for a quick-n-dirty answer ......

Beat me to it! :)

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 am 

my use-case is development on irix and for irix (including compilation) with occasional usage of my mac as terminal/editor (fuel doesn't fit on my laps when I don't want to sit at my desk).
emacs+tramp would be for editing with cc over ssh for compilation.
it seems that using some CVS/git will be the best option but having to check in/out code every time to compile seems annoying - or maybe I'll teach emacs to do this for me :-) this would be fun weekend project...

vnc would work equally well to running emacs via x11 from irix to mac - but in addition to my fuel here I also want to use another box far in Poland - the lag would kill me...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:35 am 

kubatyszko wrote:
vnc would work equally well to running emacs via x11 from irix to mac - but in addition to my fuel here I also want to use another box far in Poland - the lag would kill me...

If the files aren't too big you could try joe. It runs in a terminal so no X required. I use that to edit some files on Solaris from the Irix box.

For larger files, this is even cruder than vnc but axyftp can be set with a target host, username and password so you can grab a file, edit it in the comfort of whatever system you prefer, then ftp it back fairly conveniently without a bunch of excessive name / password / host typing. Crude but works .....

Is there a nedit for Mac ? Maybe the problem is between the Irix emacs and the Mac emacs, nedit might not have that problem ? Or is this getting into the dangerous area of editor wars ? :P

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 am 

hamei wrote:
Is there a nedit for Mac ?

Yep...and it's just as good on MacOS X as it is on IRIX. (X11 required, of course.)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nedit/f ... table/5.5/

As others have suggested, though, for editing a large file over a poor network connection, it would probably be better to login remotely and use a character-based editor in a shell or to check-out the file via source code management utilities and work on it locally.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:03 pm 

The obvious answer seems to be use emacs on the IRIX box? That, or as others suggest, setup a version control system, but I presume you're compiling on the IRIX station. Use emacs+screen so disconnects aren't so much of an issue and you'll be fine.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm 

+1 on emacs -nw & screen

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm 

voidfoo wrote:
+1 on emacs -nw & screen

++

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 pm 

josehill wrote:
hamei wrote:
Is there a nedit for Mac ?

Yep...and it's just as good on MacOS X as it is on IRIX. (X11 required, of course.)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nedit/f ... table/5.5/

1. Install MacPorts
2. Open an Xterm and type "sudo port install nedit"
3. Coffee
4. Enjoy.
5. ???
6. Profit !!!

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 am 

When I am on Mac I use ssh -x(running emacs on the remote box) or if I am on a slow line expandrive using emacs locally.

telnet if you are on a local network is fastest.

risk.