For download: IRIX netboot appliance

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
deBug
Donor
Donor

For download: IRIX netboot appliance

Unread postby deBug » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi.

So you wanted to netboot your SGI and install IRIX but you think its to complicated to set up a netboot server?
You would love to have nekosync download and unpack all Nekoware for you but you haven't gotten around setting it up?
Have you ever needed a server that you can share files between your SGI, Macs and PCs?

In that case DINA might be something for you.

Get the full story and download it here http://zachrisson.net/DINA.

[Edit 2009-07-18]URL above is outdated, use the URLs below.
Documentation here:
http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/SGI_related_files/DINA/Documentation/DINA_Documentation.html
Download here
http://se.mirror.nekoware.net/SGI_related_files/DINA/DINA1.0.zip

//deBug
Last edited by josehill on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated link to DINA
Mein Führer, I can walk!

josehill

Re: For download: IRIX netboot appliance

Unread postby josehill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Bravo, but unable to reach the site at the moment. Could it be that 2158 Nekochanners are trying to reach it at once? :D

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Same here.

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Ohhoo Bummer!! MY connection just went south.
Im Uploading it to an external site.
Takes some time as IP going out from me right now is going in snail pace.

Here is the info :
http://web.telia.com/~u58007278/

Download it here http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4340839/DINA
If you download the torrent, be patient as the my upload seems to be really broken right now. Grrrr, need to speak to my ISP
Great timing ! :-(

//Harry
Mein Führer, I can walk!

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 pm

very cool... I got to check this out when I get some time with the vm server.
NOTE You cannot use Virtual Disk Manager to create or to shrink physical hard drives.

Thomas W.

Unread postby Thomas W. » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:06 am

I know .zip and .rar and .tar

...but which programm will open a .torrent???
:1600SW: :Onyx: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

joerg
Donor
Donor

Unread postby joerg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:34 am

Thomas W. wrote:I know .zip and .rar and .tar

...but which programm will open a .torrent???

A torrent client like bittorent, Azureus, Bitcomet, ytorrent or one of the countless others. The original one was written in python and years ago it works also on IRIX.

regards
Joerg

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:21 am

It turned out that my ADSL modem had gone south, probably the summer heat was to much for it.
I'll go for modem hunt tomorrow, but at least the torrent is now seeded by other so should be possible to download.

Thomas, torrent files doesn't contain anything except a link.
The link allows a peer-to-peer program to find and download files.
The most popular and efficient bittorrent software for the PC platform is micro torrent http://www.utorrent.com/
Mein Führer, I can walk!

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Thomas,

As the others have indicated, a .torrent file contains a link that peer-to-peer clients know how to handle. There are lots of clients to choose from. Once you get a Torrent client, you'll be able to download deBug's virtual machine, which arrives as a 300 megabyte .zip file. It might take a while to finish the download -- it took twelve hours for mine to finish, but as more people "seed" the torrent, the speed should improve. (For example, since I was probably one of the first people to start downloading, I was only getting throughput around 0.5 kB/s. Now that I have the file, however, I'm pushing it to other folks at 50 kB/s. 1.5 GB pushed so far!)

To run the virtual machine, you'll need either the free VMware Player for Linux and Windows, or the commercial VMware Fusion for Mac, or the commercial VMware Workstation for Linux/Windows.

Best regards,
JH

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:11 pm

josehill wrote: I was only getting throughput around 0.5 kB/s. Now that I have the file, however, I'm pushing it to other folks at 50 kB/s. 1.5 GB pushed so far!)
JH

Thanks for helping out JH!
My Modem is shot,the uplink hardly work at all, thats why it was so slow when i posted the torrent.
I borrowed another modem today so i could complete the upload, but had to switch back to my old defect modem to get the IP TV going so my daughter could get her dose of project runway.
Hopefully I'll get a new modem tomorrow that will do both IP TV and upload and then I''ll be back seeding again.
Thanks to everyone that has stepped in and helped out with seeding for me.
Mein Führer, I can walk!

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:40 am

Oh - shiny!

My site's back up again now after a long outage due to my RAID array suddenly dropping several disks at once (I shouldn't have used five disks from the same batch...) - so it's at least possible to get a screenshot without a version warning :D

Might it be worth including sgisync too, to allow people to auto-download any patches for the version of IRIX they're about to install?

Great work,

stuart

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 am

stuart wrote:Oh - shiny!

My site's back up again now after a long outage due to my RAID array suddenly dropping several disks at once (I shouldn't have used five disks from the same batch...) - so it's at least possible to get a screenshot without a version warning :D

I cinda prefer that over the "old version" varning 8-)
I'll update the nekosync version on the next version of DINA

stuart wrote:Might it be worth including sgisync too, to allow people to auto-download any patches for the version of IRIX they're about to install?

Great work,
stuart

Good idea, I'll have a look at it for the next version.

Misc info:
I have a new ADSL modem now so I'm back seeding and my webpage is accessible again.

If you used the console in DINA you may have noticed it is not using US keymapping.
It's Swedish, I havent found info on how to restore the US keymapping in NetBSD, anyone ?
But I was able to restore it on the graphical consoles so if it is big problem for you just start the graphics and use the aterm console.
Not that you should ever need to use the console but one never know, somenone might just have to use the CLI or they wont feel like a real man :D

//deBug
Mein Führer, I can walk!

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks again for putting this together, deBug. Would you have a "cookbook" of how DINA differs from a default NetBSD installation, e.g. configs, any extra sw installed? Just curious...

PS. 2.5 GB seeded...

deBug
Donor
Donor

Unread postby deBug » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:32 am

josehill wrote:Thanks again for putting this together, deBug. Would you have a "cookbook" of how DINA differs from a default NetBSD installation, e.g. configs, any extra sw installed? Just curious...

Mostly changes to config files in /etc and some of my own scripts in /usr/dina
There is a copy of the changed config files in /usr/dina/cfgfiles/factory if you are curious.
The only "inovative" stuff is a script that is started at boot that monitors BOOTP request and if a BOTTP request from a SGI computer is found the DHCP server is configured to accept it and the computer is given an unique name and IP number.

josehill wrote:PS. 2.5 GB seeded...

Thats great, thanks!
Mein Führer, I can walk!

tomlurge

Unread postby tomlurge » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm

some more seeding would be nice! or has the file been made available for download in the meantime? at least on nekoware i couldn't find it. c'mon, it doesn't cost you too much to seed a little, or are your servers under such heavy load? ;)
btw, it would also be nice to find more of the unspeakable :shock: on torrent trackers...
:Indy:goodOldBoy :Octane:rulezOkay :Octane:willHaveToGo :Onyx2:wouldBeNice

Return to “IRIX and Software”