Page 1 of 5

DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:01 pm
by dj
Hi Everyone,

Just released a new beta version of my flipbook player and imaging utilities. There are lots of changes in this version, the main one being a new OpenGL accelerated imaging pipeline which should provide some nice speed boosts. Image I/O performance for uncompressed DPX and Targa files has also been improved; I would be very interested in any feedback from people using SANs or RAIDs.

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

Couple of notes:
* Graphics hardware with texturing is now required to run the flipbook player.
* OpenEXR files are no longer supported with IRIX.
* IRIX QuickTime support requires the libiconv package from Nekoware.

Thanks!

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:51 pm
by foetz
got it right away, thanks!

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:57 pm
by nekonoko
Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:44 am
by fieldframe
Because OpenEXR is no longer supported on IRIX?

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 am
by dc_v01
dj wrote:Couple of notes:
* Graphics hardware with texturing is now required to run the flipbook player.

Is there a way to download the older version so you could run it on hardware without texturing? I didn't find it on the site...

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:46 am
by nekonoko
dc_v01 wrote:
dj wrote:Couple of notes:
* Graphics hardware with texturing is now required to run the flipbook player.

Is there a way to download the older version so you could run it on hardware without texturing? I didn't find it on the site...


Sure, the previous versions are all on the Sourceforge downloads page. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see '+' next to 0.6.1 Beta and 0.6.0 beta - just click on the '+' to show the download list for that version.

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
by dj
nekonoko wrote:Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?


I'm now using OpenGL for all the image processing which ties the software capabilities to the hardware, and unfortunately I don't think SGI graphics hardware is capable of processing HDR images (*). Floating point color values get clamped to 0.0-1.0, and there's no support for shaders which are needed for the OpenEXR color correction. I'd certainly be happy to be proven wrong though. :)

On a positive note, regular images fly on my Octane 2 system. Uncompressed Targa and DPX files can be mapped directly to OpenGL, so there's almost no overhead when loading them.


(*) At least the older SGI graphics hardware I have access to. :)

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 am
by nekonoko
dj wrote:
nekonoko wrote:Just curious - why did OpenEXR support drop?


I'm now using OpenGL for all the image processing which ties the software capabilities to the hardware, and unfortunately I don't think SGI graphics hardware is capable of processing HDR images (*). Floating point color values get clamped to 0.0-1.0, and there's no support for shaders which are needed for the OpenEXR color correction. I'd certainly be happy to be proven wrong though. :)

On a positive note, regular images fly on my Octane 2 system. Uncompressed Targa and DPX files can be mapped directly to OpenGL, so there's almost no overhead when loading them.


(*) At least the older SGI graphics hardware I have access to. :)


Ah okay - thanks for the info :) I'll try and update the blog page with this update sometime today.

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:13 pm
by dc_v01
nekonoko wrote:Sure, the previous versions are all on the Sourceforge downloads page. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see '+' next to 0.6.1 Beta and 0.6.0 beta - just click on the '+' to show the download list for that version.

Hmm, so, is my excuse that my monitor is locked to 800x600? Or the default "open in new window" is 640x480? Or that in either case, I'm incapable of seeing/using a scroll bar? I swear it wasn't there before!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, neko, some of us seem to need it sometimes...

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm
by foetz
while using the open-file window i get console errors anyhow it seems like they don't affect the app

Code: Select all

XRequest.145: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x8c
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00005
XRequest.145: GLXBadDrawable 0x4c00007


btw could you add that the extension 'sgi' is recognized? since rgb file work i guess it won't be much work

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm
by dj
foetz wrote:btw could you add that the extension 'sgi' is recognized? since rgb file work i guess it won't be much work


Don't worry; I wouldn't forget something like that. ;)

It should recognize images with the .sgi extension fine... I think something is going on with the offscreen-rendering that generates the image thumbnails; that's what's causing the GLX errors. Do you see other image thumbnails in the file browser? Also, what sort of hardware are you running?


Thanks, Darby

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:15 pm
by foetz
no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:43 am
by dj
foetz wrote:no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e


Hmm... Something's definitely wrong with the offscreen-rendering then; I'll try and add some options to the next version for selecting different GLX visuals. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:39 pm
by foetz
dj wrote:
foetz wrote:no, i don't see thumbnails at all. i tried it with an ir2e


Hmm... Something's definitely wrong with the offscreen-rendering then; I'll try and add some options to the next version for selecting different GLX visuals. Thanks for the feedback.


you're welcome. i'm gonna try some more specific tasks if you like. just let me know

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 am
by ka0s
I've downloaded the latest version of the fabulous djv player and when I
tried it on a bunch of targa's I get the folowing Error:

Code: Select all

ERROR OpenGL Maximum Texture Size: 512
ERROR OpenGL Maximum Texture Size: 512


Does this mean my Octane 2 V10 Isn't qualified anymore ?

Also after I start the program on the commandline I get the following message on the same line :

Code: Select all

 bob@Octane2: /usr2/images %  djv_view
[codecinfo] Error: 5


What could this mean ?