Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:08 am 

dj wrote:
Hi,

I just uploaded a new version that fixes this; "Spacebar" is now a valid hotkey (you'll have to type the whole word), and I've made it so you can toggle playback with it:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244
(It's version 0.7.4-pre2 at the bottom of the page.)

Let me know how it works for you...

Thanks, Darby

thanks for the fast reply(again)
it works smoothly, and even works as a toggle (play-stop)
thanks again for the nice application, it has become my primary flipbook program

the only thing i would ask is that the zoom_with_the_mouse feature has small intervals between zooms.. i.e. using the mouse to drag and having the zoom connected o that drag movement to adjust exactly the zoom level easily.
hehe
thanks again!
:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm 

Hey - let me chime in and say that I think that the djv suite is really a really useful tool. I've worked for a long time in professional film graphics, and this is by far the most useful and professional playback tool I've found in the public domain.

Running the latest prerelease under gutsy gibbon kubuntu. Works great so far.

One request: I write a lot of imaging code and rerender to the same output file. I display an image in djv_view, and then hit 'reload' whenever I rewrite the image. It would be GREAT if you kept the previous image in a temporary buffer, and have a 'toggle previous/current' key so that you can see what the change was. Right now, 'reload image' just reloads, but you can't see what the previous image was any more. With the toggle, you can go back and forth to really study any subtle changes that happen to the image.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 am 

markwend wrote:
Hey - let me chime in and say that I think that the djv suite is really a really useful tool. I've worked for a long time in professional film graphics, and this is by far the most useful and professional playback tool I've found in the public domain.

Thanks!

markwend wrote:
Running the latest prerelease under gutsy gibbon kubuntu. Works great so far.

What do you think about the speed so far? My development hardware is a bit behind the curve, so I'm always interested in reports on how well the software does on more modern machines. Especially RAID/SAN setups.

markwend wrote:
One request: I write a lot of imaging code and rerender to the same output file. I display an image in djv_view, and then hit 'reload' whenever I rewrite the image. It would be GREAT if you kept the previous image in a temporary buffer, and have a 'toggle previous/current' key so that you can see what the change was. Right now, 'reload image' just reloads, but you can't see what the previous image was any more. With the toggle, you can go back and forth to really study any subtle changes that happen to the image.

That should be fairly easy to add if I understand you correctly; I'll see if I can get it into the next release. If you could help test it that would be great.

Darby

PS. Out of curiosity, did you use to work for Santa Barbara Studios?

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:34 am 

markwend wrote:

Here here !!!!

markwend wrote:

This would be nice to check two renders for anomalies ..... !)

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:36 am 

Hi Darby,

Still think this piece of code is awesome in terms of usability,
could you post a link for the latest version ?

Cheers,
Bob

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 am 

Hi,

Just a small bump to let everyone know I've uploaded a new pre-release:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

It's the "djv-0.8.0-pre" version near the bottom of the page.

Lot's of changes in this one, but mostly under-the-hood type of stuff. If anyone has some time to test and post feedback that would be great. I've re-worked most of the OpenGL rendering, so I'd like to know that it works before making the official release. Under IRIX, I'm back to using glDrawPixels instead of textures for image rendering; it simplifies things, should be more compatible, and might even be a little faster. For the other systems that support OpenGL 2.0, I'm pretty excited about a new high-quality "multipass" image filtering mode that I've programmed in the OpenGL shading language from an algorithm in Graphics Gems. It burns through fill-rate, but makes very nice thumbnail images in the file browser.

Also if anyone is running Windows or OSX, I've included a small program to start testing audio playback and synchronization; it needs to be started from the command-line, with the arguments being the input files:

test_audio c:\scratch\render.mov

(Note that Windows QuickTime needs the full path specified for input files.)

There's a Linux version also, but I don't think it will work until I update my build machine with newer versions of ALSA/OSS.

Thanks, Darby

PS. @ markwend & kaos, I've also added a "Frame Store" feature for comparing two images. It's under the "Image" menu; you can press "Shift+E" to load the current frame into the frame store, and then "E" to toggle between the current frame and the frame store.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:11 pm 

Looking forward to testing the new Frame Store feature, but since I run on a linux (Kubuntu 7.10 'gutsy'), I'll wait until you've got something that you think will work.

Mark

Quote:
There's a Linux version also, but I don't think it will work until I update my build machine with newer versions of ALSA/OSS.

Quote:
PS. @ markwend & kaos, I've also added a "Frame Store" feature for comparing two images. It's under the "Image" menu; you can press "Shift+E" to load the current frame into the frame store, and then "E" to toggle between the current frame and the frame store.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:19 pm 

markwend wrote:
Looking forward to testing the new Frame Store feature, but since I run on a linux (Kubuntu 7.10 'gutsy'), I'll wait until you've got something that you think will work.

Sorry, I mis-phrased that; the only thing I'm not sure will work under Linux currently is the audio test program; the main application and utilities should be fine. At least I hope so, my primary dev workstation is an Ubuntu box. :)

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Darby

PS. Which image format do you generally use? Looking through the code I realized that writing over the same image as your viewing might not work with some formats. Specifically, with uncompressed DPX, TGA, and PPM files, I use a technique called "memory-mapping" that doesn't actually load or buffer the file, it displays it directly from disk.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:34 pm 

Oops, almost forgot to mention that there's also an option in the preferences that will automatically store the current frame when reloading files; that way you can just press "E" after reloading to toggle between the current and previous frame. It's in the preferences dialog, under the "Image" tab.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:22 pm 

Okay - installed and working under kubuntu 7.10. To answer your question, I use jpg when I don't care about quality and lossless tiff when I do.

The new framestore is great... thanks! Pretty much what I had in mind. I'll have to get used to it being manual, but I can see the value of that. I've worked with image playback tools in the past that always automatically kept the previous image in a buffer, so that you could toggle when you hit reload. With the manual approach, you have to *remember* to load the buffer when you reload, but I think I prefer that anyway.

Another issue: I typically save my files in 4-digit padded format (filename.%04d.tif), and I notice that djv_ls thinks there's a break between frame 999 and frame 1000. Likewise, if I have 'Automatically open file sequences' set in preferences, it only loads a sub-framerange (e.g., f0000-0999 if I give a frame between those numbers, even if there are more frames above 999).

For example, say I have 1500 frames in a directory:
clipper.0100-0999.jpg 33.1MB root Seq rwx Sat Dec 22 17:28:55 2007
clipper.1000-1599.jpg 21.68MB root Seq rwx Sat Dec 22 17:29:06 2007

If I force djv_view to load the full range (djv_view clipper.0100-1599.jpg), then it plays them all.

cheers
Mark

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:23 pm 

Hah! You beat me to it with that preference!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:29 pm 

markwend wrote:
Okay - installed and working under kubuntu 7.10.

Great, glad to hear it.

markwend wrote:
To answer your question, I use jpg when I don't care about quality and lossless tiff when I do.

Ok, both of those file formats should be fine to over-write while viewing.

markwend wrote:
Another issue: I typically save my files in 4-digit padded format (filename.%04d.tif), and I notice that djv_ls thinks there's a break between frame 999 and frame 1000.

I was wondering when someone would run into that. :)

Basically I got too clever with the file sequencing; the software tries to distinguish between sequences with leading zeroes and without, so what's happening is it thinks there are two sequences: 0001-0999 zero-padded, and 1000-1500 without. I should probably change this though, your case seems far more common than someone trying to mix frame padding in the same directory.

Thanks, Darby

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 pm 

Mark,

I just uploaded a new pre-release (djv-0.8.0-pre2) which has a number of fixes, including one for your file sequence problem. If you have a chance, try it out and let me know how it works.

Thanks, Darby

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:31 pm 

Hey Darby -

Got the new version and it works fine on gutsy. The issue you fixed with sequences over 1000 frames works fine now too. Thanks for that. A few new things...

a) Every time I install a new version, I have to go back and set my preferences all over from scratch. Any way to save preferences when a new version is installed?

b) When I set Mark In and Out points for playback, the Forward and Backward Playback modes obey these points. However, the jog shuttle (as well as right-button jogging) *doesn't* obey the mark in/out points. Is there a specific reason for that? If not, I'd prefer the shuttling to obey the marked points.

c) Here's a funny one. I'm in the habit of feeding a series of images to my own programs using wildcards (e.g., "myprogram file.*.jpg"). Of course, when I do this with djv_view, I get in trouble... it launches separate windows for EACH file that the wildcard expands to. I quickly need to killall in the shell before my machine swaps to death. Unless there's a compelling reason to open separate djv_view sessions with wildcards, it would be really nice to just load up all the files that a wildcard expands to in a *single* djv_view window. If I really want separate djv_view sessions, I launch them with separate commands.

Thanks again for a great and useful program!

cheers and happy holidays,
Mark

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:57 pm 

markwend wrote:
The issue you fixed with sequences over 1000 frames works fine now too.

Cool. Thanks for testing it.

markwend wrote:
a) Every time I install a new version, I have to go back and set my preferences all over from scratch. Any way to save preferences when a new version is installed?

Since I'm still making so many changes to the code, that's an unfortunate side-effect for now. But if you want you can try manually copying the previous preferences to the new ones; though that won't always work and could cause some odd behavior. The preferences are stored in your home directory, like:

~/.fltk/djv-0.8-1

So if your previous version was 0.7.4, you could try:

rm -r ~/.fltk/djv-0.8-1
cp -r ~/.fltk/djv-0.7.4 ~/.fltk/djv-0.8-1

markwend wrote:
b) When I set Mark In and Out points for playback, the Forward and Backward Playback modes obey these points. However, the jog shuttle (as well as right-button jogging) *doesn't* obey the mark in/out points. Is there a specific reason for that? If not, I'd prefer the shuttling to obey the marked points.

The idea behind that was to allow adjustment of the in/out points after they are set, sort of for fine-tuning the marks. But you're right, it's probably better to keep all the controls consistent; do you think clicking and dragging the playback slider with the mouse should also obey the in/out points?

markwend wrote:
c) Here's a funny one. I'm in the habit of feeding a series of images to my own programs using wildcards (e.g., "myprogram file.*.jpg"). Of course, when I do this with djv_view, I get in trouble... it launches separate windows for EACH file that the wildcard expands to. I quickly need to killall in the shell before my machine swaps to death. Unless there's a compelling reason to open separate djv_view sessions with wildcards, it would be really nice to just load up all the files that a wildcard expands to in a *single* djv_view window. If I really want separate djv_view sessions, I launch them with separate commands.

How about if I add a preferences option to combine all the command-line inputs into a single sequence, instead of sending each to a separate window? Note that all of the images need to be the same format though.

I also recently added a different sort of wild-card handling for someone else; sequences can now be specified like "render.#.tiff". Still have to add it to the documentation. :)

markwend wrote:
Thanks again for a great and useful program!

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful.

Darby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next