DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dj

Re: DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

Unread postby dj » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just a bump to let you know I've uploaded a new release, 0.7.2. Lots of changes in this one; hopefully I fixed more than I broke. :)

Highlights:

* Save movies and images from the viewing application.
* New customizable keyboard shortcuts.
* Expanded file sequence options.

Plus, specific to this thread:

* The new version should be a little more aggressive about choosing a GLX visual; so if you got an error last time about the frame buffer configuration, you might give it another try.
* Compressed Targa and SGI images should be faster at loading.
* You can zoom with the mouse by pressing Ctrl + Middle (zoom in), or Ctrl + Right (zoom out).
* No more cryptic messages from the QuickTime plugin.

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darby

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:45 am

I grabbed the lastest version (Linux RPM) and it installed just fine. I feed it a number sequence of .RGB file and it read and played them back very nicely.

If you are looking for feedback on what would be nice to see feature wise, I would look toward's Apple Motion software (part of FinalCut Pro), since that seems to be an analogous product. It would be nice to be able to manipulate the image sequence with some 2D effects such as motion blur, fade-in/out, etc. Perhaps they are already there and I just didn't see them.

Lastly, you could very easily (via ffmpeg) export to mp4--although for some reason it's SGI .rgb converter seems broken in the lastest snapshot of the source code.

Anyway, very nice!

dj

Unread postby dj » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:52 am

squeen wrote:I grabbed the lastest version (Linux RPM) and it installed just fine. I feed it a number sequence of .RGB file and it read and played them back very nicely.

Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

squeen wrote:If you are looking for feedback on what would be nice to see feature wise, I would look toward's Apple Motion software (part of FinalCut Pro), since that seems to be an analogous product. It would be nice to be able to manipulate the image sequence with some 2D effects such as motion blur, fade-in/out, etc. Perhaps they are already there and I just didn't see them.

I would very much like to add compositing and editing features, the work involved is a bit daunting though...

squeen wrote:Lastly, you could very easily (via ffmpeg) export to mp4--

I'm currently using libquicktime for movie support on IRIX and Linux, but for a number of reasons am thinking about changing that; I'll definitely take a closer look at ffmpeg.

squeen wrote:although for some reason it's SGI .rgb converter seems broken in the lastest snapshot of the source code.

The SGI image file format is pretty well documented, it should be an easy fix?

Thanks, Darby

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:22 am

dj wrote:Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

Yes. As you said it's simple to code into your project.

I'm currently using libquicktime for movie support on IRIX and Linux, but for a number of reasons am thinking about changing that; I'll definitely take a closer look at ffmpeg.

I hadn't seen libquicktime before. Looks like a nice API. How do I get djv to export my sequence as a quicktime mov? Can I control the compression settings?

dj

Unread postby dj » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 am

squeen wrote:
dj wrote:Good to hear, thanks. Do you mostly use SGI image files?

Yes. As you said it's simple to code into your project.

The only caveat I was going to mention is that it's a bit slower than my TGA reader (from having to interleave the image data). But as a file format, I do prefer SGI to TGA.

squeen wrote:I hadn't seen libquicktime before. Looks like a nice API.

I'll just say it's not my favorite, and would like to change to something else. :)

squeen wrote:How do I get djv to export my sequence as a quicktime mov? Can I control the compression settings?

You can create a QuickTime movie either from the command line, or from the viewer:

Command line:

> djv_convert input.1-1000.sgi output.mov

You can select the codec, but there aren't controls yet for fine-tuning compression options:

> djv_convert input.1-1000.sgi output.mov -quicktime_save_codec jpeg

(Note, I haven't tested many of the libquicktime codecs...)

From the viewer, open your file sequence or movie, and select the File->Save menu option. You can change the codec in the preferences dialog, under the Image I/O tab.

Darby

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:07 am

Nice QT export. (DJV_view works fine on IRIX as well here.) As for codec, H.264 encoding seems to be supported in libquicktime. My experience with it in FinalCut is that is kicks serious ass--but you'd want to add separate field in the GUI for setting the bit rate (I usually go high for HD ~18-21 MBs)

BTW compositing and simple motion blur is easy, just shove your frames into the OpenGL accumulation buffer.

Even if you only added one other clip "timeline" then it would be very nice for simple video editing--a simple 1-2 sec cross-fade transition between clips would do the trick.

You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

All-in-all very neat. We have in-house simulation visualization back-end that spits of number RBG images. I've been doing one of the following.

1) coverting first to jpeg and making mp4 using ffmpeg in a script
2) tar'ing up the images, sending them to a Mac, renaming the .rgb to .sgi and bringing them into Apples' Motion and then into FinalCut.

Both are too limited or cumbersome. It'd be nice to have a native IRIX/Linux option. Rewriting FinalCut is impossible, but with a couple of small tweaks, you'd have everything we need! 8-)

dj

Unread postby dj » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:21 pm

squeen wrote:Nice QT export.

Thanks! Definitely consider this beta software though; I haven't put too much time into testing the QuickTime stuff yet.

squeen wrote:(DJV_view works fine on IRIX as well here.)

That's good news; I've only tried it so far on VPro and O2. Do you mind if I ask what type of GFX you're using?

squeen wrote:As for codec, H.264 encoding seems to be supported in libquicktime. My experience with it in FinalCut is that is kicks serious ass--but you'd want to add separate field in the GUI for setting the bit rate (I usually go high for HD ~18-21 MBs)

Unfortunately the open-source H264 code is GPL, and I'm not entirely sure what legal ramifications that has (DJV is BSD licensed). One option I guess would be for me to supply a package that linked with the user's version of libquicktime, which they could then install with the X264 code.

squeen wrote:BTW compositing and simple motion blur is easy, just shove your frames into the OpenGL accumulation buffer.

Even if you only added one other clip "timeline" then it would be very nice for simple video editing--a simple 1-2 sec cross-fade transition between clips would do the trick.

Do you use any titling for your videos? Or simple compositing, like adding a logo?

squeen wrote:You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

It's been awhile since I've used a video-editing app, do you mean adjust the in/out points after they are set?

Thanks, Darby

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:46 pm

dj wrote:
That's good news; I've only tried it so far on VPro and O2. Do you mind if I ask what type of GFX you're using?

I tried a Tzero with V12. I can also try an Onyx with IR4.
Unfortunately the open-source H264 code is GPL, and I'm not entirely sure what legal ramifications that has (DJV is BSD licensed). One option I guess would be for me to supply a package that linked with the user's version of libquicktime, which they could then install with the X264 code.

You could just try dlopen() of the quicktime lib and mapping the functions it uses. If it fails, report to the user that it can't find libquicktime and then wash your hands of it.

Do you use any titling for your videos? Or simple compositing, like adding a logo?

Yes titles are very nice, but that means AA fonts and fades etc. Right now I plan to add it to our backend and bake them in the video.
squeen wrote:You have in/out mark points, but is there a way to trim at marks?

It's been awhile since I've used a video-editing app, do you mean adjust the in/out points after they are set?

I just meant that once I have the video loaded into djv_view, can I select a section for cut-and-paste (or just cut) somehow.

dj

Unread postby dj » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:41 pm

squeen wrote:I tried a Tzero with V12. I can also try an Onyx with IR4.

I was just curious; if it's useful to run it on the Onyx that would be cool to know it works, but otherwise don't worry about it.

You could just try dlopen() of the quicktime lib and mapping the functions it uses. If it fails, report to the user that it can't find libquicktime and then wash your hands of it.

That's basically what I'm doing now, but I have the libquicktime API wrapped in my own plugin which I then dlopen. I currently bundle libquicktime (and most of the other libraries I use) with my packages because I'm worried about incompatibilities between shared objects; I got burned on a previous release where my GCC compiled binaries would dump core when trying to load a MipsPro binary.

squeen wrote:I just meant that once I have the video loaded into djv_view, can I select a section for cut-and-paste (or just cut) somehow.

There's no general cut and paste yet, but if you mark in/out points the save function will use them when exporting a movie.

Darby

ka0s

Unread postby ka0s » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi Darby,

Have been extremely busy but I finally found the time to try your latest release.

I tried the 0.7.2 version and its great !!!!
It plays back compressed targa sequences in real time ( 720 x 576 - 25 fps ) even when scaled up to 16x9 .... !)

This is better then the performance I get with Blender or even shake ........

Your the Man !
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

dj

Unread postby dj » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:52 pm

ka0s wrote:I tried the 0.7.2 version and its great !!!!
It plays back compressed targa sequences in real time ( 720 x 576 - 25 fps ) even when scaled up to 16x9 .... !)

This is better then the performance I get with Blender or even shake ........

That made my day, thanks. :)

Do you mind if I ask what you were playing the images from (local disk, raid, san, etc.), and what the difference in speed was?

I'm trying to release the next version 0.7.3 this week. I definitely recommend upgrading, there's a number of important bug fixes. (Plus improved OpenGL performance on Linux/Windows, and if I can work out the packaging, an initial OSX port).

Thanks, Darby

ka0s

Unread postby ka0s » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Darby,

I played the targa sequences from the optiondrive in my Octane2 / 6.5.22 here's a hinv:

Code: Select all

1 400 MHZ IP30 Processor
CPU: MIPS R12000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.5
FPU: MIPS R12010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 1536 Mbytes
Xbow ASIC: Revision 1.4
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
  Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
  Disk drive: unit 3 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty2
IOC3 parallel port: plp1
Graphics board: V10
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, pci 2
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 12.0, number 1

There's some dropping frames when loading the targa's into RAM,
but after that it's a breez !)

I've rendered the targa's with Blender in 720x576 4x3 and Anamorph 16x9.
And I did some renders in 1024X576.

I only use targa's because in my experience they cause the least problems when
importing into other software on other platforms or systems.

At work we also use OS-X more and more because of it's stability compared with WinBlows.
So an OS-X version would be very Nice !

Cheers,
Bob

If you need more info on performance issues let me know.
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:23 pm

just had the opportunity to run hte 0.72 on my ir2e. it just gave me

Code: Select all

[ERROR] GLX Frame Buffer Configuration

el_bolo

Unread postby el_bolo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:11 am

hi again!
i was setting the hotkeys to my usual ones, and i noticed i cannot set space as a hotkey (i usually have space for start stop playback)
i wonder if there's an easy way to set it directly into the preferences file so i can use my usual hotkeys
thanks again for the nice program!
:)

dj

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:30 pm

el_bolo wrote:i was setting the hotkeys to my usual ones, and i noticed i cannot set space as a hotkey (i usually have space for start stop playback)

Hi,

I just uploaded a new version that fixes this; "Spacebar" is now a valid hotkey (you'll have to type the whole word), and I've made it so you can toggle playback with it:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244
(It's version 0.7.4-pre2 at the bottom of the page.)

Let me know how it works for you...

@ka0s: Thanks for the info...

@foetz: Guess my GLX fix didn't work; the only thing I can think of is that I'm limiting the bit-depth to 8 for OpenGL 1.2 systems, and maybe the IR only advertises something like 10 or 12-bit visuals for offscreen rendering? If I upload a small piece of test code, would you mind running it?

Also, just wanted to mention there's now an official 0.7.3 release available; it's mostly bug-fixes, I highly recommend anyone using the software to try out the new version. Couple of new features: cached frames are now shown in the timeline, initial support for 3ds Max image formats RLA/RPF and IFL, and an experimental version for Mac OS X (PPC only for now).

Thanks, Darby

Return to “IRIX and Software”