SGI XFS = Linux XFS ?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Ebbi

SGI XFS = Linux XFS ?

Unread postby Ebbi » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi,

I wanted to use a Linux machine as install server.
All installation media has been copied with the Octane onto harddisk with IRIX.
As Linux support the XFS file system, would it be possible to take the disk out of the Octane and mount it under Linux?
Or are there differences and resulting problems?

As further challenge I want a generic install server, by using Linux directly running from the Knoppix DVD.

Thanks,
Ebbi

regan_russell

Re: SGI XFS = Linux XFS ?

Unread postby regan_russell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Ebbi wrote:Hi,

I wanted to use a Linux machine as install server.
All installation media has been copied with the Octane onto harddisk with IRIX.
As Linux support the XFS file system, would it be possible to take the disk out of the Octane and mount it under Linux?

Your Linux box has ultra 160 drives...?

Or are there differences and resulting problems?

As further challenge I want a generic install server, by using Linux directly running from the Knoppix DVD.

Thanks,
Ebbi

Why not use the network, NFS, scp, etc?

Regan
:Onyx2R: :Onyx2R: :0300: :0300: :0300: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x SUN, 2 x Mac, 3 x Alpha, 2 x RS/6000

SAQ

Linux XFS

Unread postby SAQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 pm

The biggie is that Linux supports XFSv2 ONLY so drives built with IRIX 6.2 or an early version of 6.5 (or 6.3, or 6.4, or 5.3XFS) will not be readable.

Your Linux kernel also has to be configured with (a) XFS support and (b) SGI disklabel support.

It does work, though- I've done it.

Linux can also be configured with read-only EFS support to read IRIX distCDs. Note that you will either need a 512-byte CD-ROM or mount it with the loopback drivers.

Ebbi

Unread postby Ebbi » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:42 am

regan_russell wrote:Your Linux box has ultra 160 drives...?

Yes and no. I have a few U160 controllers, but an UW controller with 40MB/s and an SCA adapter will be sufficient.

regan_russell wrote:Why not use the network, NFS, scp, etc?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by that. ;)
I have an 18GB disk with all installation media and I want to install my Indy via network. That's why I need an install server. The Linux idea arises from the fact that I maybe will install the Indy at another place and I don't want to carry both machines around.
So I would just pick up the XFS disk with the installation media, an SCA adapter, an U160 controller with cable, a Knoppix DVD and the Indy (of course) and go to another place, grab a generic PC put everything into it, boot the DVD, mount the XFS disk and set up my install server.

SAQ wrote:The biggie is that Linux supports XFSv2 ONLY so drives built with IRIX 6.2 or an early version of 6.5 (or 6.3, or 6.4, or 5.3XFS) will not be readable.
Your Linux kernel also has to be configured with (a) XFS support and (b) SGI disklabel support.

Lucky enough my drive was configured with 6.5.10. :)
But if I need a new kernel I'm knocked out of Knoppix. But a standard Linux installation would do it. AFAIK the Linux version of fdisk supports SGI disklabels and SuSE offers XFS as filesystem. So maybe I don't need a new kernel...
Which distribution did you use?

SAQ wrote:Linux can also be configured with read-only EFS support to read IRIX distCDs. Note that you will either need a 512-byte CD-ROM or mount it with the loopback drivers.

Would also be possible, but since I'm out of Knoppix, I'd prefer your first idea.

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 am

Mine sure does. :D
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am

Ebbi wrote:

Yes and no. I have a few U160 controllers, but an UW controller with 40MB/s and an SCA adapter will be sufficient.

regan_russell wrote:Why not use the network, NFS, scp, etc?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by that. ;)
I have an 18GB disk with all installation media and I want to install my Indy via network. That's why I need an install server. The Linux idea arises from the fact that I maybe will install the Indy at another place and I don't want to carry both machines around.
So I would just pick up the XFS disk with the installation media, an SCA adapter, an U160 controller with cable, a Knoppix DVD and the Indy (of course) and go to another place, grab a generic PC put everything into it, boot the DVD, mount the XFS disk and set up my install server.

SAQ wrote:The biggie is that Linux supports XFSv2 ONLY so drives built with IRIX 6.2 or an early version of 6.5 (or 6.3, or 6.4, or 5.3XFS) will not be readable.

Lucky enough my drive was configured with 6.5.10. :)
But if I need a new kernel I'm knocked out of Knoppix. But a standard Linux installation would do it. AFAIK the Linux version of fdisk supports SGI disklabels and SuSE offers XFS as filesystem. So maybe I don't need a new kernel...
Which distribution did you use?

I haven't done an install with Linux yet, just mounted various SGI media for various reasons. I use Debian (my kernel is custom, but the stock Debian (on which Knoppix is based) supports XFS. Knoppix supports XFS at least on PCs- I can see my disks just fine). One idea that jumps to mind would be creating a custom Knoppix DVD that includes the IRIX stuff right on it. This would take care of some of the other issues with Linux acting as an install server for SGIs as well (there's a good page on it at http://software.majix.org/irix/install- ... inux.shtml ).

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:08 pm

On disk IRIX XFS structures are compatible with Linux XFS, but I've read it is recommended to ensure the transaction log is clear by booting and cleanly shutting down the machine before transferring the disk.

Ebbi

Unread postby Ebbi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 am

Ok, I tried it with a basic installation of SLES10. Here we go:

SGI partition table seems to be supported by default:

Code: Select all

sles10:/ # fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda (SGI disk label): 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2213 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

----- partitions -----
Pt#    Device  Info     Start       End   Sectors  Id  System
 8: /dev/sda1               1      2213  35562384   a  SGI xfs
 9: /dev/sda2               0         0      4096   0  SGI volhdr
11: /dev/sda3               0      2213  35566480   6  SGI volume
----- Bootinfo -----
Bootfile: /unix
----- Directory Entries -----
 0: sgilabel   sector    2 size     512

But mounting does not work:

sles10:/ # mount -t xfs /dev/sda8 /irix
mount: Function not implemented

Using xfs_check you hear the disk, but nothing happens and no error appears:

sles10:/ # xfs_check /dev/sda8
sles10:/ #

Ok, got it: :cry:

sles10:/ # dmesg
XFS: Attempted to mount file system using version 1 directory format
XFS: SB validate failed

It seems that even 6.5.10 is too old. Damn...

SAQ

XFS versions

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:57 pm

6.5.10 can create a XFSv2 filesystem, but does not by default. Somewhere around the middle teens it switched to v2 by default. If you don't mind starting all over again :( try re-mkfsing the disk with the option -version=2 (exact syntax is in the manpage).

porter

Unread postby porter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Ebbi wrote:As further challenge I want a generic install server, by using Linux directly running from the Knoppix DVD.

I use NetBSD on an i386 as an install server for my Indy. Not using any XFS on the i386, it's all bootp, tftp and NFS.

Ebbi

Unread postby Ebbi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 am

porter wrote:I use NetBSD on an i386 as an install server for my Indy. Not using any XFS on the i386, it's all bootp, tftp and NFS.

I just wanted to use XFS as all my installation media is on an IRIX disk inside the Octane and I wanted to save copying everything again.

Today I tried mounting the IRIX CD media, using a Pioneer DVD with 512k blocksize switch. The SLES10 kernel is capable of EFS, but still no luck.

Yes, I would mind starting all over. :)
But I guess I'll start the Octane and copy everything to the linux box via NFS.

Or maybe I configure a disk with FAT on the Octane and make a local copy.

Ebbi

Re: XFS versions

Unread postby Ebbi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:27 pm

SAQ wrote:6.5.10 can create a XFSv2 filesystem, but does not by default. Somewhere around the middle teens it switched to v2 by default. If you don't mind starting all over again :( try re-mkfsing the disk with the option -version=2 (exact syntax is in the manpage).

Ok, I decided to connect the disk I want to use under Linux to the Octane, create an XFSv2 file system and copy everything.
I searched man mkfs and man mkfs_xfs but I couldn't find the "version" option.
Need assistance! :)

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Ebbi wrote:
SAQ wrote:6.5.10 can create a XFSv2 filesystem, but does not by default. Somewhere around the middle teens it switched to v2 by default. If you don't mind starting all over again :( try re-mkfsing the disk with the option -version=2 (exact syntax is in the manpage).

Ok, I decided to connect the disk I want to use under Linux to the Octane, create an XFSv2 file system and copy everything.
I searched man mkfs and man mkfs_xfs but I couldn't find the "version" option.
Need assistance! :)

Oh fine- be that way. I told you it wasn't quite exact syntax :P.

Here's the exact syntax:

mkfs -t xfs -n version=2 /dev/[my_device_here]

Guess I should start up a SGI before attempting to remember little-used commands. :lol:

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:05 am

is there a way under Irix (v6.5.29 here) to convert XFS v1 into XFS v2 without reformatting?
I am tattooed in reverse, cause if you break rules you don't know where it leads.
But, say, all the venus in furs are so manically depressed and manically dressed.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm

shutitalldown wrote:is there a way under Irix (v6.5.29 here) to convert XFS v1 into XFS v2 without reformatting?

There is no support for doing an in-place conversion from v1 to v2.

The recommended way to convert is to backup via xfsdump, then create a new filesystem with mkfs_xfs, and finally restore from the backup to the new filesystem with xfsrestore.

Return to “IRIX and Software”