Maintenance or Feature?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Antnee

Maintenance or Feature?

Unread postby Antnee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Hey guys

When I got my first IRIX box I was given a pack of Foundation CDs but disc 2 was missing. Same applied to all the Overlays I was given. When I asked I was told that the second disc is only ever required for the feature stream and was given some reason I don't remember as to why this is a bad thing. Hence I've been in maintenance stream ever since and I gather there's no way to switch over at a later date. Once you're in one stream, that's it for life.

I wondered what you guys do, do you install Maintenance or Feature streams on your personal machines, what are the main differences and am I really fixed in this stream now?

Cheers in advance!

kshuff

Unread postby kshuff » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 pm

I have switched streams before in the past with no ill effects, but SGI doesn't recommend it. But its all mute anyway since the feature and maintenance streams were merged, but I forget which release that happened in. Anyone care to refresh my memory.
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Ah, I didn't realise that! So, if I were to install the very latest version of 6.5 (whatever that is now) I would get all the new features that I probably missed by being on the maintenance stream in the past anyway? That's probably the reason I was given for not having the feature discs then, it does sound familiar.

Cheers for that. I should write things down, I never remember anything!

SAQ

merged releases

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:47 pm

kshuff wrote:I have switched streams before in the past with no ill effects, but SGI doesn't recommend it. But its all mute anyway since the feature and maintenance streams were merged, but I forget which release that happened in. Anyone care to refresh my memory.

6.5.22. SGI has "6.5.22 M" available for download, but the only difference is that the "m" downloads don't come with Applications and Complementary Applications tardists.

6.5.1 could be considered a merged release also, but that's a bit old.

foetz

Re: Maintenance or Feature?

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Antnee wrote:I wondered what you guys do, do you install Maintenance or Feature streams on your personal machines, what are the main differences and am I really fixed in this stream now?

easy one: if you have it always feature. why go for less? :D

virtualsim

Unread postby virtualsim » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 am

Anything in feature that is missing from maintenance?

I'll be reinstalling the Octane soon and was wondering which one I should take.

my real question is : WHAT are the FEATURES?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
:Octane2: :O2:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:01 pm

virtualsim wrote:my real question is : WHAT are the FEATURES?

Take a look at the release summaries at http://www.sgi.com/products/software/ir ... ses/irix65X.html
where X is the incremental release number greater than or equal to "2".

For example,
http://www.sgi.com/products/software/ir ... ix652.html
or
http://www.sgi.com/products/software/ir ... x6522.html
or
http://www.sgi.com/products/software/ir ... x6530.html

In general, major changes are listed as either "Maintenance and Feature Stream" or "Feature Stream Only."

{edit}minor typo corrected{/edit}
Last edited by josehill on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41 pm

kshuff wrote:I have switched streams before in the past with no ill effects, but SGI doesn't recommend it. But its all mute anyway since the feature and maintenance streams were merged, but I forget which release that happened in. Anyone care to refresh my memory.

BTW: to switch streams you have to open up the base distro disks (IRIX 6.5 Foundations etc.) and it goes pretty smooth, but takes a while (in essence you're downgrading to 6.5 and then putting back on the overlays for the relevant stream). NB- this is all moot with .22 and later, since M&F are equivalent (but it will still say either "maintenance" or "feature").

Return to “IRIX and Software”