HDD Full, What to do?

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Antnee

HDD Full, What to do?

Unread postby Antnee » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Hey guys

So, I've just done a fresh install onto a 9GB drive on my Octane2, and like a fool kept installing everything onto that drive, ignoring the other 9GB and 4GB disks in the same machine. They're not mounted anywhere at the moment and now I'm wondering if it's possible to move some data from the root drive onto one of these and what the best thing to move is.

I figured if I could move /usr onto one of them I would free up a fair bit of space on the drive which strikes me as a good idea, but at the same time do I want /usr on a second drive and HOW do I go about doing it anyway? This is something I touched on a couple of years ago but I cannot remember a thing about it now!

Cheers for the impending advice (I hope!)

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:20 pm

There's pretty good <but basic> instructions on creating and mounting an option drive available from TechPubs.

nuclear

Unread postby nuclear » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:31 pm

It is a good idea, and you don't need an SGI/IRIX specific method to do it. It's very easy.

first make an archive out of your /usr dir, this is essential, if you just cp -r or mv the /usr to another part of the filesystem you will screw up all the user/group attributes.

Code: Select all

host:/usr# tar cvf /usr.tar *

mount the new disk/partition to /mnt (standard temporary mount point), change-dir there and untar the bloody thing.

host:/mnt# tar xvf /usr.tar

now make sure you have your /usr contents safely at /mnt take a deep breath (psychological measure) and:

host:/# rm -rf /usr/*

then unmount /mnt and mount the partition at /usr (which should be an empty dir by now, great for a mount point :), make sure everything works fine (can't imagine why it wouldn't) and add the appropriate entry at /etc/fstab to make it permanent.

That's all there is to it :) I prefer to treat my UNIX systems the same, and avoid special procedures and custom GUI tools to acomplish things... within reason :)

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Hey, that sounds great, I shall try it shortly. I agree with what you're saying about avoiding OS dependent GUI tools though. I use Solaris10 on a Sun Blade1000 which runs FC-AL HDDs rather than SCA discs, and Solaris wants you to do so much by Sun's own GUI tools these days. I was very pleased to see how ZFS works however, completely command line and seemingly in English too, which is nicer than Unixish IMO :D

I shall power up the Octane2 now and try your advice while I've got it on my screen :D

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm

i would suggest changing /etc/fstab to mount the new drive with /usr on it and reboot first to make sure it's done properly. then you can delete the old /usr. single usr mode is your friend.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Ha ha, I knew there would be a problem encountered... I don't have room on the drives to create a .tar of that directory. I've managed to make it a 7GB directory (don't ask, I just installed a whole load of stuff that'll probably never get used...) and rather than do the obvious and delete the directories that I won't need (Doom, Quake, Quake2 and Quake3 are four classic examples) I've ended up trying to copy them over by creating several smaller .tar files, namely one per directory within /usr

The really strange thing though is how I seem to be running out on the second drive which is a 9GB drive. I don't know what I've done wrong and I AM deleting the .tar files afterwards so how can it take up more space than the original /usr directory on the root drive? I'm sure I've done something wrong somewhere along the lines!

Is there a way to create a .tar and have it remove the files from the archive, rather than copy them from it? That would make it a whole lot easier... create a 7GB .tar and just move all the files out of it onto the same drive. Job done... I wish!

SAQ

optiondrives

Unread postby SAQ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:52 pm

Keep in mind that IRIX 6.5 (not sure about 6.2, but that's not an issue here) keeps some essential files/images in the /usr tree, in violation of the ancient UNIX tradition of ensuring bootability if you only have your root filesystem. Don't know if this spooks you or not- it's just something to keep in mind. /usr/nekoware and /usr/freeware can both go to an optiondrive without issues, and that's where much of your space is likely going (you can use symlinks to get them all pointing to the right drive). Put those two, /usr/people, /usr/local, and wherever OpenOffice goes on an optiondrive and you should be fine.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Right, well I finally got that sorted and all seems well, which is nice :D

This machine will get put to one side now while I do a full install on the other two machines. Hopefully everything I've learnt during this install, including correcting some mistakes in some selection files I was provided, will stay fresh and I'll get the other two Octanes up and running in no time... then to sell a couple of them :D

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:24 pm

I once frankenspanned two 1 GB disks in an Indy to do a 6.5 install, kept moving directories to the second disk and hardlinking them until it all fit (with about 180MB of user space). System worked fine, however the next dude who has to do anything with it, well, let's just say meds are good these days... LOL!
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

Return to “IRIX and Software”