Network installation from a Linux server

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Network installation from a Linux server

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri May 26, 2006 8:05 am

I used to have do my IRIX installations over the network using a Linux server. Everyting was good and nice, until I upgraded the server from Debian "woody" to "sarge". Ever since, I was getting

Code: Select all

Failed reading remote directory: (no command)

as soon as you would enter a "from:" line in the miniroot "inst"

I finally found the program that was causing this. You won't believe it. It was /bin/ls :evil:
They managed to @#$% up the 'ls' command !!!

I replaced it with 'ls' from "Woody" and it's installing again. All the usual hacks as documented all over the net still apply.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

pipeline

Re: Network installation from a Linux server

Unread postby pipeline » Fri May 26, 2006 8:45 am

jan-jaap wrote:I used to have do my IRIX installations over the network using a Linux server. Everyting was good and nice, until I upgraded the server from Debian "woody" to "sarge". Ever since, I was getting

Code: Select all

Failed reading remote directory: (no command)

as soon as you would enter a "from:" line in the miniroot "inst"

I finally found the program that was causing this. You won't believe it. It was /bin/ls :evil:
They managed to @#$% up the 'ls' command !!!

I replaced it with 'ls' from "Woody" and it's installing again. All the usual hacks as documented all over the net still apply.

Holy shit. I'd been wondering about this one for a loooong time. I had been attributing it to brain damage in rsh.

Glad to hear there's a fix!

Ashkente

Unread postby Ashkente » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:24 pm

If you're still around, would you mind posting what version of ls you are using? I think I'm encountering the same problem, and have somewhat confirmed it with tcpdump.

Thanks!

gcb

Unread postby gcb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:19 pm

First time i tried that (had no scsi cdrom) i wasted lots of time tring to please the bootp protocol for the eprom... managed to find good hints here, don't know why i gave up. i think i managed to boot the thing in the end...

Zerolapse

Unread postby Zerolapse » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Yeah, I was beating myself over the head on that one for awhile too...I just yanked an older version of ls from another box and wrote a small script to switch some symlinks to it around (so as not to potentially break debian scripts), along with the port ranges, etc needed to boot an SGI in Linux.

-Jesse

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:35 am

Ashkente wrote:If you're still around, would you mind posting what version of ls you are using? I think I'm encountering the same problem, and have somewhat confirmed it with tcpdump.

Thanks!

Sorry, I overlooked this thread. Currently, I have things configured like this:
    Fileserver runs Debian GNU/Linux "Sarge" (with selected backports)

Server has several "vservers" running, a bit like Solaris zones and FreeBSD jails.

One of these vservers acts as my install server. That way I isolate the ugly r* stuff (rexec, rcp etc) into a readonly sandbox where it's mostly harmless. This vserver runs "sarge" as well, but /bin/ls has been replaced by the one from Debian 'woody' (fileutils-4.1 package)

The install server sandbox is minimalist enough that I can just replace the /bin/ls, and make /bin/ksh the default shell without crippling the whole server in one way or another.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

blue

Unread postby blue » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:38 pm

I know i'm digging up an ancient thread, but, in order to save anyone else the hours of trouble i had..

I'm using Ubuntu/sparc as my install server.

No matter what I tried, i couldn't get any other user than root to work for rsh, so i've added three lines to the bottom of /etc/securetty to allow root rsh logins.

rlogin
rsh
rexec

/bin/ksh no longer works.. I needed to install pgksh and symlink that to /bin/sh instead.

http://archive.debian.org/debian-archiv ... fileutils/ has the deb files for fileutils-4.1.. download the correct one for your architecture, for example sparc, into an emtpy directory, and dpkg --extract fileutils_4.1-10_sparc.deb. the ls you need will be in the bin/ directory. Be sure you rename the original /bin/ls to something else like ls.original before you copy the new one to /bin as the version in fileutils-4.1 is pretty ugly.[/i]

Alver

Unread postby Alver » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm

:shock: You gotta be kidding me. I gave up on it after weeks of sweating & cursing, and just got me a second SGI instead :lol: nice to see someone's got it working after all!
while (!asleep()) sheep++;

porter

Unread postby porter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:26 am

NetBSD 3.0 just worked, and I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. :)

Return to “IRIX and Software”