Installing Firefox on Octane. Lots of dependencies.

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
josehill

Re: Installing Firefox on Octane. Lots of dependencies.

Unread postby josehill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:31 pm

jpstewart wrote:
Intuition wrote:The tar -xvzf option which is supposed to unzip them says illegal option. Though that is what multiple sites say opens a TGIF file.

For what it's worth, that's to be expected on IRIX. The z option (which is what unpacks gzipped files) is for GNU tar. IRIX tar doesn't have it. If you have neko_tar (and neko_gzip) installed and /usr/nekoware/bin first in your path, then it should work. Or call /usr/nekoware/bin/tar explicitly instead of relying on $PATH. Or any of a multitude of other options, depending on what you've got installed and how it's set up.

Indeed, Nekoware/GNU tar works fine with the -z option.

Even in later versions of IRIX (and many other commercial varieties of UNIX), the standard tar is very "old school" with respect to its capabilities, and I almost always install a set of GNU tools, including tar and gzip, whenever I do a new/clean system installation.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 am

it's a good idea tho to stick to the system tar for important things. otherwise you risk compatibility

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am

What has been tricky is downloading to my o2 then sending the file over to the Octane then starting the whole gunzip... untar process. I kept messing up the files somehow so that when I got to the Tardist file software manager said it was bad or had an unexpected EOF etc etc.

My Octane would download with netscape BUT it seems as if the file is above eight megabytes the file never ends. It gets to 100% and stays there perpetually. If I stop the download the file disappears. if I copy the file while its sitting there waiting to finish even at 100% it can't ever unzip/untar correctly.

At the moment I did get the nekodeps to work with wget but the glib1 entry after it prepares and I run the sh install.sh kicks out a sequence of
------------------------------
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2018-02-11 21:58:07 ERROR 404: Not Found.
------------------------------

It does go into install mode BUT, any attempt to install or GO ends up with unexpected EOF.

I am on my windows machine at the moment but will give it another go this afternoon.

I'll post the screencap showing what is happening. Or, maybe I'll just shoot a small iPhone vid and link it here so you can see what is happening.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Hey Intuition, based on "Not Found" it seems to me that some files mentioned in "descript.ion" file (which contains a list of packages) are not available on the mirror.

Without going into too much trouble, a good way to solve this would be to identify which files are reported as Not Found, and then manually go into the Nekoware directory (e.g. ftp://nekoware.de/current/) and then to locate those packages in the list and download them manually to the "dist/" subfolder.

From there, you can edit the "install.sh" script by deleting all of the download lines and only keeping the "inst -f ...." line. In it, you would modify the package versions and filenames so that they match the exact versions and filenames you manually downloaded to dist/.

Then, when you run "install.sh" (which will by then contain only the inst -f ... line with correct filenames), it should work.

(I am a bit surprised that this isn't all working automatically with nekodeps.pl, but I do not have time to inquire/check whether the issue is in your procedure, or in Nekoware file mirror, or in some recently ocurred incompatibility in nekodeps.pl. So I am giving you an advice which, while it is manual, is probable to work.)

Let us know if you encounter further problems.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:53 am

There is also a tar distribution completely independent from nekoware. It will install under /opt/mozilla. I also included a newer version of nss, that makes https working slightly better today:

ftp://ftp.nekoware.de/diegel/mozilla-nss-3.12.11.tbz
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 am

Is the TBZ file format a zipped Tar as well? gunzip then tar -xvf?
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 am

before going on with admin tasks you might wanna catch up on some unix fundamentals first

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 am

I borrow from my Linux knowledge which I use at work. BUT, for whatever reason... in 12 years on Linux systems at Digital Domain, Disney, Mirada, etc. I had yet to see a tbz file. I was familiar with tar, tardist, tar.gz. Yet, since I had opened up tar.gz files only to have it tell me the file was corrupted or unexpected EOF I was/am trying to double check knowledge to see what is Irix specific.

Overall though, there are still some Unix fundamentals I could add to my arsenal for sure since debugging problems which are obvious take me a bit of google and research to figure out. Thanks for the help here though. :) I don't get to do irix/SGI that much between work/life, so I try to squeeze info where I can.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am

Intuition wrote:Is the TBZ file format a zipped Tar as well? gunzip then tar -xvf?

Yep, the extension gives you a clue :) (TBZ - Tar that's been BZipped). Just the same as .tar.bz in other words.

As previously mentioned, "bzip2 -dc [filename] | tar xf -" will extract it in one single command. For GZipped TARs (which I think the Firefox file is), just substitute bzip2 with gzip.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 am

To be fair, 2000s-era GNU extensions aren't "fundamental" to Unix in any way, but familiarity is useful for administrative tasks. The alphabet soup of command options gets more bewildering each year.

.tbz is just a shorthand for .tar.bz2, especially since files may get transferred through systems that don't support more than 8.3 filenames. The letter option to GNU Tar to use bz2 compression is -j (which has no mnemonic meaning whatever and is the result of every other letter already being used by GNU Tar).

And don't even get me started on BZip vs BZip2.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Intuition wrote:My Octane would download with netscape BUT it seems as if the file is above eight megabytes the file never ends. It gets to 100% and stays there perpetually. If I stop the download the file disappears. if I copy the file while its sitting there waiting to finish even at 100% it can't ever unzip/untar correctly.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that same thing was happening to me. Had to use wget to download anything.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:40 pm

OK, Firefox successfully installed. :)

Thanks for all the help. I am getting slowly better at recognizing the processes in Irix

This firefox is faster but it seems to have some refresh issues. Some text entry spots go black as if they are highlighted but they aren't.

Some kind of redraw issue maybe?

Ok now to start a new thread about the fact that the Octane says it has no video daemon when I try to start the video panel.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

devv

Unread postby devv » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm

You're gonna need to run X display with 24bpp for best results. To see how it's done, check out http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Use_Custom ... nd_on_Irix and search for "depth" in that page.

Also, for a collection of info about running Irix in as "modern" context as it gets, you could check out http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Modern_IRIX
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Yes, changing the xserver line to the true color 24 fixed all the refresh issues in the Firefox browser and sure made all the desktop icons looks very nice. :)

Thanks. :D 8-) :mrgreen:
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Return to “IRIX and Software”