Some IRIX spottings in the wild...

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
VenomousPinecone

Some IRIX spottings in the wild...

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:31 am

On the History (rewritten) channel, in particular Mail Call, they did a little segment about the UAV/Predator operations at Indian Springs AFB just outside of Las Vegas. Well guess what I spotted on the gunners terminal... a cute little red cursor, unmistakable. :D

Same with a segment on the Discovery channel about sub-oceanic natural gas exploitation operations. They had a really cool setup, 3-d glasses and 2 massive wall mounted displays... and again, the little red cursor!

:wink:

IndyFred

Unread postby IndyFred » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm

It is alwasy nice to see SGI equipment still being used and or shown.

Makes me feel all warm inside :-)

Fred

Thaidog

Unread postby Thaidog » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:45 am

I saw a SGI monitor being used in the making of the AVP movie. (On HBO the other day)

87Porsche

Unread postby 87Porsche » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:13 pm

I saw what looked like a teal Indigo2 on a Law & Order episode last night.

Glock

Unread postby Glock » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:39 pm

The DVD "Southpark, the movie" shows, in a really obvious way, an O2 and SW1600 monitor, somewhere in the navigation menus.

The making of "Finding Nemo", "Lord ot Rings" and "Walking with Dinosaurs" also show IRIX in action, and an occasional SGI system.

You just gotta love these systems, not?

gheem

sgi bliss

Unread postby gheem » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:26 pm

yep, truely some of the best machines, love my octane!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
-Frank Zappa

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:58 pm

There is a TV show, 'Crossing Jordan', (not Michael), that used to have plenty of SW1600 displays everywhere at a forensic office located in Boston. I fear that newer episodes got crappy dell stuff…
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

Glock

Unread postby Glock » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:46 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget:

Navy NCIS - an excellent series starring Mark Harmon.

The series is based on the Navy's CSI bureau (like JAG was about the lawyers - but that show got too lame to watch without hurling), and the desks are lined with SW1600's and F180's. Ofcourse the occasional DELL but SGI has a strong presence.

Although the only SGI system is an Onyx rack, in the "command center", driving huge projection screens to monitor field missions etc...

Seems DELL is a common system in various series. Both "24" with Kiefer Sutherland (my #1 favorite show) and "Alias", the chick version of 24, feature lots and lots of DELL clusters and workstations.

...what is this world coming to...

Funny fact is, the "bad guys" always seem to operate Apples.

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Glock wrote:Funny fact is, the "bad guys" always seem to operate Apples.

:shock:

This has to be the first time I read that :D In fact, I think it is just the opposite, good folks with Apple and bad guys with generic PCs…
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

Gerhard.Lenerz

Unread postby Gerhard.Lenerz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:15 pm

My favourite SGI facing in fiction is the Viper TV series (the one with the stupid red/silver car). I think it was in early seasons where they had a Challenge and a PowerSeries rack in the lab. It's my favourite because I never really cared for props until I started collecting SGIs which somewhat introduced me to the refrigerator shape.

Gerhard

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Glock wrote:Seems DELL is a common system in various series. Both "24" with Kiefer Sutherland (my #1 favorite show) and "Alias", the chick version of 24, feature lots and lots of DELL clusters and workstations.

...what is this world coming to...

Funny fact is, the "bad guys" always seem to operate Apples.

Thats because the idiots in real life have tons of dell shit, unfortunately they are usually the same idiots watching TV all the time. I can barely stomach the lies on the History and Discovery channel, let alone network television. Once, at lunch, a colleague was speaking about how cool 24 is. He was trying to convince me to watch it. He knew I'm a hardware otaku by nature and tried to convince me to watch the show by telling me about how some terrorists stole an f-117 to shoot down airforce one, and how the air force couldnt shoot down the f-117 because their weapons couldnt detect it.

I almost shit myself laughing. If you know nothing about the F-117, I suppose it would seem so diabolical and believeable. Fuck TV.

Most PC users see Mac users as a kind of "enlightened user", more wise then they are. So naturally the bad guys have macs, because they are smart and know how to get what they want.

In a perfect world all megalomaniacs would use UNIX :D

Glock

Unread postby Glock » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:56 pm

Isn't OSX (Mac) UNIX???

<Glock dons the flackjacket and ducks for cover>

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Glock wrote:Isn't OSX (Mac) UNIX???

<Glock dons the flackjacket and ducks for cover>

Based on BSD, which is Unix like, similar to linux in that respect. Surely not UNIX. :P

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:35 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Most PC users see Mac users as a kind of "enlightened user", more wise then they are.

yeah.... no shit, sherlock! :shock: :cry: :? :) :D :P :lol:

irixpgmr

IRIX in weather...

Unread postby irixpgmr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:32 am

One our our local news stations uses IRIX for their weather monitoring. When the weatherman talk, you can clearly see several SGI flat CRTs in the background running IRIX (4dwm).

Return to “SGI: Discussion”