Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: The IRIX 6.5.17 caper
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:34 pm 

Okay, I've had this before and I fixed it before, but I can't remember how.

The CDROM on my Indigo 2 will only recognize the original install media for IRIX 6.5. All other media gets an error, including the overlay CDs. I fixed this before by taring/zipping the overlay CDs for 6.5.17 and FTPing them and installing them. Then the CDROM magically worked fine.

I am now in a post-harddrive crash state and find myself in the same predicament again. But this time, not even FTPing will work. When I drag the untared/unzipped DIST directories into the software manager, it swears that the directory contains no products. I try directly dragging the *.SW files in, but it says that the file is "bad".

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:57 pm 

Are you trying a miniroot install or a live upgrade from IRIX? It sounds like you try the latter, although with a post HD crash, this doesn't seen very likely. Can you elaborate?

Remember that Linux can read SGI Inst-CD formats (EFS file system). There is a Forum-thread on how to install an SGI machine remotely from a Linux PC.

If the HD is botched then don't attempt to fire up the IRIX from there and fumble around with swmgr. FWIW, swmgr can be shot as well. Better get a new HD and do a clean install

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:45 pm 

Where is the tread on network installing IRIX? I also need to do this with my new O2 which is having the same problem, except it has no OS installed at all. Is this common behavior for an SGI machine with CDROMS? I would just as well have assumed that a native CDROM that came with the O2 would be able to boot 6.5 media.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:51 pm 

Sorry, I found it. Now to give it a try.