the octane is heavy as hell.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
joshandersen19

the octane is heavy as hell.

Unread postby joshandersen19 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:32 pm

my little computer desk literally groaned and creaked under the immense weight of this beast(every bit of the claimed 63 pounds), couple that with the hefty 20" monitor, i think i may have to buy a new table - has anyone got any loyalty to a specific brand or model, or should i let my brother build me one? ( he has visions of railroad ties and cinder blocks, and wondering if we need a building permit)
note - i rather like the look of it and don't want to kick it under the desk

thanks,

josh

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:49 pm

I'd say just about any heavy-duty wood or metal table will do. I purchased mine (wood) at target for $99.00, and it's held up a 20' inch monitor, an Octane, a G4 and a 17' inch viewsonic all at once. it's not super fancy, but it does the job. :)

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:00 pm

Try IKEA if you're on a budget. If you hang around commercial auctions you can usually get a metal office desk for pretty cheap.

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:14 am

You might try finding an old drafting table. I have one that's 4' x 6' and it's been a wonderful table. Just turn the table down horizontally and set up your equipment. I have a 100lb 24" sgi monitor on it now, a printer and a 17" Micron monitor on it now. It's held much more than this in the past.

I also keep a small metal shelf under the main monitor to house nick-nacks. I normally use the thing to keep two systems up and running on.

But, the down side is finding a comfortable chair for it.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”