Filesystem miseries...

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Hakimoto

Filesystem miseries...

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:16 am

Hey All,

I´ve been on a hardware spree and my main workstations are now thus:

• SGI Octane Dual 195 MHz, SI, 6.5.17m
  • Intergraph Zx10, Dual 866 MHz, WC5110, Win2k
  • Amiga 4000T, Single 50 MHz, PicassoIV, OS3.9

I´m planning on getting a FibreChannel Array (Xyratex), which is internally SCSI (12 drives) and externally FC. This I would probably hook up to the Zx10, for lack of driver support on the other machines. It´s a JBOD, no money for a RAID FC HBA yet (800$ is the cheapest I found).

My question is, regarding the filesystem to use. Most probably the whole thing will be formatted NTFS, to be accessible under Win2k. For the Octane and Miggy I can mount the whole thing as a SMB share, via 100 Mbps RJ45, but what about file attributes?

That´s my main concern when it comes to UNIX and Amiga files, the attributes for access control, archive bits etc. Win just doesn´t have them in that sense, and of course, if I just put data there, I can always limit access to certain users, but if I ever need real attributes set, how can they be preserved on a SMB share?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a million.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:01 am

on SMB file attributes simply can not be preserved. This because SMB is the Microsoft Windows File Sharing protocol, and since Windows has no support for the attributes, it is also never put into the SMB protocol.
If you want file attributes, you'll have to use something else, like NFS (There are (crappy) NFS server/client tools for windows around)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

max_impact

Re: Filesystem miseries...

Unread postby max_impact » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:07 am

Hakimoto wrote:This I would probably hook up to the Zx10, for lack of driver support on the other machines. It´s a JBOD, no money for a RAID FC HBA yet (800$ is the cheapest I found).

Any suggestions?

Yeah - get an FC card for your Octane and use XVM to stripe across all the disks - you'll get much better performance that way :)
(XVM is very easy to get to grips with, btw)

assyrix

Unread postby assyrix » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:42 am

You can actually get decent FC PCI cards for the Octane - no need to go for the expensive big XIO iron. Administering FC on an SGI is child's play compared to Windows and AmigaOS (btw why still keep that machine? I sold my last Amiga half a decade ago and never looked back, since I was substituting it with an Indy :) The gentleman wants a extended striped RAID array? Three mouseclicks later you are finished. Amazing stuff!

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:59 am

Thanks for the tips guys... whiter, any links to these "crappy" tools? especially server? I can´t afford a PCI cage and FC card for the Octane I think.... assyrix, I´m keeping the Amiga, because first) it´s an A4000T tuned so much that a Porsche would look lame next to it, second) because there´s not a decent computer out there to do color correction on, so I do it on my miggy, third) because it´s got one of the sweetest OSes ever created (check out 3.9, and the forthcoming (already actually being sold) AmigaOne boards... no more laughing at these beasts... hehe. Thanks again for all the tips.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

assyrix

Unread postby assyrix » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:54 am

Color correction? Nothing can hold any sort of candle to Matador (16bit component colors) - they even used it on the Hulk and Terminator 3 for lack of better tools.

The only program worth keeping my Amiga for would have been Deluxe Paint 5 but these days that runs much better inside the UAE than on the original box I used to have.

I checked out that new Amiga One - what a waste of space, sorry. Who on earth would buy such a machine? It looks and sounds like a Mac clone, and thus I'd rather get a proper Mac with all the professional software, a decent processor (G5) and enough support options.

If you're happy with your box then good for you. I remember how awestruck I was when the VLab Motion came out in the early 90s, enabling stuff on your home computer that only vastly more expensive closed systems could do (at that time). But that was then - I have to earn my living with this stuff, and nostalgia has no place in a cold business environment...

Return to “SGI: Discussion”