SGI uses ATI for graphics behemoths

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
directedition

SGI uses ATI for graphics behemoths

Unread postby directedition » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:39 am

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-1025324.html?tag=fd_top

Lemme get this straight. nVidias are based on SGI technologies and now Onyxs are being based on ATI technologies? I'm very confused on the family line of graphics systems right now.

SGI seems to be moving further and further away from itself.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

mookid

Unread postby mookid » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:01 am

Yeah you would of thought they would've had nVidia on the case, considering there would be some old familiar faces working there.

Does anyone have any gossip regarding the choice of ATi?

let's hope it's not some ATi RagePRO on PCI in there :lol:

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:28 am

Well, SGI employees went to a number of places, including nVidia and ATI

However a small factioan ALSO went out and formed Art-X. These guys happened to be the same people that designed the n64 graphics set and also later on the gamecube graphics set, but that's neither here nor there. Anyways, Art-X was later bought up by ATI. Oddly enough it was shortly after Art-X was purchased by ATI that ATI's graphics cards started becoming respectable in terms of power, whether or not because of that purchase of Art-X or just chance, I'm not sure.

So basically what I'm getting at is - it makes more sense to go with ATI than nVidia, because a) it's still a lot of familiar faces, and b) ATI is currently making a better product in terms of power and visual quality.

Citan

Unread postby Citan » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:45 am

Would you rather design a cooling system for 32 R300/350 cores or 32 NV30/NV34(this was the 5900's core right?) cores?

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:03 am

If nvidia keeps up the pace they have for thier cards, they're gona have to use all your available PCI slots for cooling and require a seperate 650+ watt RPS to power it.

I guess that's what happens when you over-clock the crap out of the previous years line and market it as new stuff. Of course, you'll need to write some cheats into your drivers to make it look like the card performs better than it actually does.

... oh, wait a sec...

:wink:

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:29 am

What IS Art-X? I thought the RPC was designed by SGI.

This URL: http://www.mips.com/coolApps/s3p8.html used to have an excellent first-person account of the development of the RPC, but I guess it was taken down sometime in the last months. Oh well.

Oh, and as for familiar faces, I think it would tense familiar faces. You know, these nVidia guys who abandoned SGI and so we're not going to come crawling to them blah blah blah. Seems interesting that both SGI and Nintendo switched to ATI.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:58 pm

Art-X were the people who designed the RPC according to what I've read - and yes at the time they worked at SGI. It was AFTER the n64 was made that they had later left to form their own company (and even later got purchased by ATI, during the gamecube's design, which is why gamecube's sport ATI logos even though they chipset was made before ATI bought them...)

Return to “SGI: Discussion”