End in sight for older machines

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
RageX
Donor
Donor

End in sight for older machines

Unread postby RageX » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:40 pm

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... /pr01.html

Retired Mode provides restricted support for older software products which are no longer generally distributed by SGI. This level of support has severe limitations on portability to new platforms. Availability of support at this level is limited to existing customers with whom we have existing contractual obligations. This is the final stage before a product is completely removed from the SGI product set. IRIX 6.2, IRIX 6.3, and IRIX 6.4 operating system versions are examples of major operating system releases that are supported in this category beginning January 2003. Software stays in this category for a minimum of 18 months before being moved to Expired Mode.

Expired Mode software products have reached the end of their useful life. These products are not supported or distributed in any form by SGI. Examples are: IRIX® 5.3, IRIXPro™, and Proconf.

And:

Upcoming Changes to Support Mode Status

The following workstations, graphics and scalable server systems will transition to retired support mode after the IRIX 6.5.22 release in November 2003:

Challenge DM

Challenge L

Challenge XL

Challenge M

Challenge S

Indigo

Indigo2

Indigo2 Extreme

Indigo2 Impact

Indy

Power Challenge

Power Indigo2

Power Onyx

Onyx1

Sad but it had to happen some day. Hopefully SGI will take this opportunity to clean house when they remove all the older stuff from IRIX.

karbak

Unread postby karbak » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm

So, 6.5.22 will be the last version of IRIX that will support these machines officially, right ? Not 6.5.21 ?

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:19 pm

Seeing as it says after 6.5.22 in November, I think that you're correct: 6.5.22 will (atleast from what it sounds like) be the final Irix version supporting those machines...

I wonder if they'll go on to 6.6 or 7.0 after dropping that support, to definately differentiate from a legacy-supporting OS and one which only supports O2/Octane and up.

Satoru

Unread postby Satoru » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:23 am

I think that's somewhat funny that the most powerful SGI I own (I2 R10K/Impact) reach the EOL before the way slower O2 :)
I've got to get an Octane :?

Marco/Sat

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:11 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what's Power Onyx? I don't know anything about that.

Well, service contracts cost too much for me anyway. And if I did have the money for a service contract, I'd likely already have a newer box anyway.

So... the end of the line for my I2 :cry:

I wish that something like 5.3 could at least go into free distrobution mode. You know, like finally make it legal to copy and give to friends. I mean if they're not going to provide software support for hardware that runs that version anyway, it's not like they'll be loosing any money, only cultivating a larger user base for lower-end hardware. Lord knows SGI needs marketshare right now, no matter the age of the hardware.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:20 am

directedition wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what's Power Onyx? I don't know anything about that.

Hah! You're the SGI guru, you should know :)

It's actually an Onyx with R8000 CPU's on a special mainboard (IP21). Also referred to Onyx machines with R10K CPU's (IP25), although i doubt that is the correct name for an R10K Onyx.

BTW, i'm having doubts about 6.5.22 being the last known IRIX for all these machine. Let's read SGI's explanation about Retired mode again:

Retired: Any product developed by SGI, operating system and application software distributors, open-source vendors, or freeware vendors that is no longer actively developed, maintained, or distributed (via download or on CD) falls under this support mode category. SGI provides support services for these products to honor existing contractual obligations for a minimum of 18 to 24 months but occasionally less as the urgency of conditions demands before transitioning into Expired support mode. Support is limited to providing known fixes and workarounds. No new features or bugfixes are created for products in this support mode.

So what i infer from this, is that from 6.5.23 on, the machines may still run the IRIX OS, but with little chance of bugfixes or patches i.e. in case your beloved Rackmount Onyx "Terminator" (mine) fails to run gr_osview . This excludes support to companies (like NASA and such) with whom SGI has an obligation to do so, but only for 1.5 years.

Very likely is that in the near future they will only produce mips4 IRIX+apps, which leaves all R4x00 CPU machines in the cold...

Brrrr :cry:

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:23 am

dexter1 wrote:Hah! You're the SGI guru, you should know :)

Yes, I'm a real guru as proffed by my 179 posting of "Can someone tell me what ****** is?"

It's actually an Onyx with R8000 CPU's on a special mainboard (IP21). Also referred to Onyx machines with R10K CPU's (IP25), although i doubt that is the correct name for an R10K Onyx.

So I guess it's sorta like Power Indigo 2 in the R8k sense. I'm guessing the I2 and Onyx were the only machines to sport the R8k.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:24 pm

You've guessed correctly:

http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/doc/SGI/periodic.html

i'm trying to dig up a picture of a power indigo2. They had a special badge..
ah: http://www.geocities.com/sgipics/indigo ... _badge.jpg
and: http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/indigo2/in ... ower8k.jpg

cvisors

Unread postby cvisors » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:16 am

dexter1 wrote:You've guessed correctly:

http://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/doc/SGI/periodic.html

i'm trying to dig up a picture of a power indigo2. They had a special badge..
ah: http://www.geocities.com/sgipics/indigo ... _badge.jpg
and: http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/indigo2/in ... ower8k.jpg

I have a power indigo2 I will try and see if I can get some photos of it for you sometime over the weekend. Basically the only change is the curved power bacge.

Benjamin
one you lock the target
two you bait the line
three you slowly spread the net
and four you catch the man

Front 242 Headhunter

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:43 am

Ohhhh
I love that colour!
Nice blue!
Blue's my favourite
I want one.
even when it's slower than my r10k
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:57 am

cvisors wrote:I have a power indigo2 I will try and see if I can get some photos of it for you sometime over the weekend. Basically the only change is the curved power bacge.

Benjamin

What's the Overall system model number for a Power Indigo2? CMBxxxxx?
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

cvisors

Model Number of Power indigo 2

Unread postby cvisors » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:48 pm

After sliding out the beasty, and looking behind this machine the model number is:
CMNB007YT75

Also in regards to its speed, its by no means blazingly fast, but I am here using mozilla, with gqmpeg playing music, and nixie clock displaying the time, so its plenty fast for day to day use. (though I would like something a little faster or to get off my ass and get some more memory for my o2)

Benjamin
one you lock the target

two you bait the line

three you slowly spread the net

and four you catch the man

Front 242 Headhunter

Return to “SGI: Discussion”