bye bye onyx family?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:43 am

choza wrote:
squeen wrote:I heard SGI is going PCIx for the next generation of graphics which is suppose to be a higher bandwidth bus (\me = not really knowing what I'm talking about, all PC heritage stuff is terra incongita to me).

i though PCI-x was left instead of PCI express (by major cards manufacturers) because of cost, there was a roadmap for PCI-x to add MHz to the thing (standards were 33/66/133 Mhz if i remember) higher bus speeds were the next ones, but that demanded more cost on the construction, one reason the path of the clock and other stuff (if you look at every pci card you will find a "snake" path, thats the clock one, from the socket to the clock pin there must be about 2.5 in but not sure the std distance)
PCI express works different, its more like a LAN, one of its benefits: allows higher speeds easier
strange SGI not using pci express

it's highly unlikely they are using PCI-x, this 'standard' is long gone. next up (for everyone regardless of PC or not, it's matter of custom protocol or not. definately not worth a custom protocol such as numalink use case is) is PXI-express, which as choza intimates is different. the protocol uses SERDES (serializer/deserializer) to transfer data. the clock for SERDES is generally encoded with the data (or 'clock endcoded data') which means there is no seperate clock line at the PHY level. the data rate is (2.5gigabits/line)*(8b/10b) FDX for each 1X of the data width. common widths are 1X, 4X, 8X, and 16X (for graphics). so, you can move a lot of data pretty quick.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:21 am

skywriter wrote:
choza wrote:
squeen wrote:I heard SGI is going PCIx for the next generation of graphics which is suppose to be a higher bandwidth bus (\me = not really knowing what I'm talking about, all PC heritage stuff is terra incongita to me).

i though PCI-x was left instead of PCI express (by major cards manufacturers) because of cost, there was a roadmap for PCI-x to add MHz to the thing (standards were 33/66/133 Mhz if i remember) higher bus speeds were the next ones, but that demanded more cost on the construction, one reason the path of the clock and other stuff (if you look at every pci card you will find a "snake" path, thats the clock one, from the socket to the clock pin there must be about 2.5 in but not sure the std distance)
PCI express works different, its more like a LAN, one of its benefits: allows higher speeds easier
strange SGI not using pci express

it's highly unlikely they are using PCI-x, this 'standard' is long gone. next up (for everyone regardless of PC or not, it's matter of custom protocol or not. definately not worth a custom protocol such as numalink use case is) is PXI-express, which as choza intimates is different. the protocol uses SERDES (serializer/deserializer) to transfer data. the clock for SERDES is generally encoded with the data (or 'clock endcoded data') which means there is no seperate clock line at the PHY level. the data rate is (2.5gigabits/line)*(8b/10b) FDX for each 1X of the data width. common widths are 1X, 4X, 8X, and 16X (for graphics). so, you can move a lot of data pretty quick.

Indeed PCI-X never really been used for graphics cards, there is however "PCI-X 2" which either doubles signal rate (from 133 -> 266) or quads it (133->533). I can see PCI-Express eating it's lunch though, so more likely that "PCI-X 2" will be used for backward compatability (provide a slot or two and allow you run specific old cards in your new server) as oppose as to been the main expansion option.

Currently PCI-express standard does allow for a 32x connector for use in servers etc. I havn't seen any motherboards with such a connector though. The next version of "PCI-express" (version 2) doubles the data rate to 5gigabits/line as well as throws in a degree of support/awareness of virtualisation (going to be handy for stuff like VMWare etc.) the last i heard the standard is going to be finished out sometime next year.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:33 am

Yes. PCI-express (8x I think). My bad. I should really just stick to IRIX. :)

GeneratriX

Prism Deskside

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:38 am

squeen wrote:BTW, SGI just upgraded us to the new SuSe Linux Pro Pack which has the real-time extensions. I need to get into it, but I did notice that KDE is now the default desktop rather than Gnome (which fixed my window drag "stickiness" issue) and that there are options at login to immediate go into KDE/GNOME with OpenGL Multipipe managing the pipes (kinda nice!).

Hello SQueen ;)
...since I've not tried personally a Prism by now, I'm very curious about some matters. I'm wondering, since seems that you have used Prism fair enough, if you could give me your point of view about some subjetcs:

1) How good is the integration between the SUSE + SGI LINUX ProPack and the Prism hardware?
1) How good is the integration between GNOME/KDE and the SUSE + SGI LINUX ProPack?
3) There is some replacement for our good and old IRIX DigitalMedia libraries? ...I guess on SGI LINUX PorPack it is all natively OpenML, I'm right?
4) There is some replacement for the IRIX DigitalMedia tools? ...I mean: dminfo, dmplay, dmrecord, soundplayer, soundeditor, imgcopy, imginfo, imgvew, imgworks, mediaconvert, movieplayer, capture, moviemaker, etc..
5) What do you think of Prism Deskside on terms of Performance/Stability?
6) Intel Compilers vs. MIPSpro compilers?
7) Global comfortability?

Feel free to reply my "seven golden questions" at discretion! I hope you'll find them not so boring! :D
Thanks in advance! Greetz! ;)

Satoru

Unread postby Satoru » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:14 pm

At least on HP workstatins PCI-X, or more properly PCI with 64 bit bus and 66/100 Mhz bus was actually used for the graphics cards.
Including the FX5 and FX10 (base and pro) anc the PArisc version of firegl and quadro cards.
Up to the J7600 and the C3750.
C8000 (up to 4 cores) offers AGP.

Marco/Sat

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:10 am

Dubhthach wrote: The next version of "PCI-express" (version 2) doubles the data rate to 5gigabits/line as well as throws in a degree of support/awareness of virtualisation (going to be handy for stuff like VMWare etc.) the last i heard the standard is going to be finished out sometime next year.

indeed. would be nice to know what chipset supported gen 2 pci-ex...

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:12 am

RIP Onyx.

Long live the Onyx! ;)

Hell I've still got both of mine. Gonna keep 'em forever.

A decade later I think Apple sorta has a G5 that's almost competitive in some ways.

Let's face it, it lasted way longer than any of us could have imagined.
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

Return to “SGI: Discussion”