Penny Stocks - Seen this yet?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:38 pm

It's good ole' shortshigtedness, which has been endemic to the American enterprise for the past few years. All that management cares about is to meet quarterly expectations, without a clear plan for the future. Few American business have 5-year execution plans. Whereas other cultures (Japanese companies are renowed for this) have 10/20 even 50 year plans.

Then is the bean counting mentality. People who are making decisions look at numbers and trends, but are unable to see the bigger picture. For example, it makes sense to fire an engineer with 20yr experience, because a brand new grad from Bangalore costs a fraction of that salary. However it is the experience factor that gets lost in that spreadsheet... since it is not a tangible factor.

Then we have the obscene salaries that some executives get, which are completely decoupled from their job performance. There is some sort of MBA educated upperclass, at least in this country, which seems to sneer at any sort of work related meritocracy and favors a entitlement culture just because. We have to look no further than the current "CEO president" to notice a clear and alarming trend in this society, in which the shit always advances upwards. A ligter than air shit complex if you will.... But no need to rant about this, it is obvious and it is something that this culture will have to deal with... in some sense bad times are good cathargic ocasions. And this country needed one reaaaaal bad. Too bad those scumbags at the top are laughing their way to the bank while it is the American work force that is getting shafted. But... well... in the end it is also their (the American worker) responsability.

I however that this trend is not only endemic to the American society, but the greed ueber alles mentality (greed was good in the 80s I guess) is also present in many other areas like the EU, China, Japan, Russia...

Sorry for the rant.

RageX
Donor
Donor

Unread postby RageX » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:05 am

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:the new law to screw poor people came in last week, so i think they are too late for that.

As I understand it it was recently passed but does not go into effect until next year.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:41 am

Whenever the founder(s) of a company leave, the parasites who attach themselves to anything $ucce$$ful prove that despite their highfluent crenditals (MBA etc.) and philosophy about "the business of doing business" it's all bullshit compare to someone with intellegence, drive, and a dream to do something specific. Diluted and diversified, it turns intol crap.

It's the life cycle of business in the U.S.. Look as Hughes or Apple. Watch Microsoft now that Gates is drifting away.

This is not neccessarily a bad thing overall. The progeny (e.g. nVidia) have the fire in their belly to start fresh. There nothing that says a set of buildings or corporate logo needs to be an enduring institution. I'm just sad that at this point in time, I don't see a worth successor to SGI/IRIX HPC, just a bunch of low end PC mediocrity.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:07 am

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote: ... is there some hidden level to this i'm not seeing where the directors have found a way to increase there personal income by wrecking these company's, or are they all just members of some satanic cult? :(

Don't be so paranoid. Wrecking the company is just an accidental side effect. Not that they give a shit or anything ... but ya know, the people who are to blame are the stockholders. Why they didn't disembowel Boob Bishop years ago when SGI still had maybe two or three billion, I will never understand. And they should have sued Belluzzo for an obvious conflict of interest.

You can't blame the assholes at the top for being assholes - they're scorpions, ya know ? But I'll never understand why the rank and file seem to think it's their job to be boot-licking Peter Lorre's.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:32 am

squeen wrote:I don't see a worth successor to SGI/IRIX HPC, just a bunch of low end PC mediocrity.
I couldn't agree with you more... I've been contemplating the "next logical upgrade" for me for a couple of years and I don't see anything at all on the market that stands out...

krafty

Unread postby krafty » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:30 am

R-ten-K wrote:It's good ole' shortshigtedness, which has been endemic to the American enterprise for the past few years. All that management cares about is to meet quarterly expectations, without a clear plan for the future. Few American business have 5-year execution plans. Whereas other cultures (Japanese companies are renowed for this) have 10/20 even 50 year plans.

Then is the bean counting mentality. People who are making decisions look at numbers and trends, but are unable to see the bigger picture. For example, it makes sense to fire an engineer with 20yr experience, because a brand new grad from Bangalore costs a fraction of that salary. However it is the experience factor that gets lost in that spreadsheet... since it is not a tangible factor.

Then we have the obscene salaries that some executives get, which are completely decoupled from their job performance. There is some sort of MBA educated upperclass, at least in this country, which seems to sneer at any sort of work related meritocracy and favors a entitlement culture just because. We have to look no further than the current "CEO president" to notice a clear and alarming trend in this society, in which the shit always advances upwards. A ligter than air shit complex if you will.... But no need to rant about this, it is obvious and it is something that this culture will have to deal with... in some sense bad times are good cathargic ocasions. And this country needed one reaaaaal bad. Too bad those scumbags at the top are laughing their way to the bank while it is the American work force that is getting shafted. But... well... in the end it is also their (the American worker) responsability.

I however that this trend is not only endemic to the American society, but the greed ueber alles mentality (greed was good in the 80s I guess) is also present in many other areas like the EU, China, Japan, Russia...

Sorry for the rant.

It's like the theory of promotional obsolescence. In the corporate world, if you are doing a good job, you get promoted. This continues until you get promoted to a job that is beyond your capabilities, at which point your career either stagnates, or you get put on "Special projects" otherwise known as out-to-pasture.

If this theory is correct, then all of the people at the top will have been promoted there, and only a fraction will actually have the ability to do the job to which they were promoted.
There once was a woman named Bright,
Whose speed was much faster than light.
She set out one day- in a relative way,
And returned on the previous night!

MisterDNA

Unread postby MisterDNA » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:41 am

MooglyGuy wrote:
jo2k wrote:my heart breaks then finds rejoice in the dream of being able to to buy a Tezro for $100 soon - and mod it into my quad dual core Xeon w/ hyperthreading box - and 16GB RAM....

Listen, newbie, I'll try to put this as nicely as possible: This is a site for SGI enthusiasts. If you make any more references to raping a beautiful machine like a Tezro and replacing its guts with Intel shit, we'll track you down, come to your house, and cut off your balls with a rusty shiv. :?

Are you sure you have the right message board, yourself? You sound like a Macfanatic...
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass. --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 pm

krafty wrote:It's like the theory of promotional obsolescence. In the corporate world, if you are doing a good job, you get promoted. This continues until you get promoted to a job that is beyond your capabilities, at which point your career either stagnates, or you get put on "Special projects" otherwise known as out-to-pasture.

If this theory is correct, then all of the people at the top will have been promoted there, and only a fraction will actually have the ability to do the job to which they were promoted.

it's a poor theory,
promoting those that can works.

the problem is that these useless cunts promote there possition as a "job" to be traded.

if i need a plumber i can hire one.
they put forward the myth that if you want a manager you hire one.

where this fails is simple, if you are a computer company and you hire a manager that used to run a company making engine-blocks or toilet-paper then what the fuck will he know about the computer industry.

so, the people running(into the ground) sgi,ford,gm,boeing etc. - where did they work previously?

the u.s, gubberment is the same, they are being run by a dick that used to run an oil-company that never found any oil!!!

people need to be chosen based on there skills and experience and not because of the way they label themselves.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:41 pm

Intel-OUTSIDE: nicely put. That's exactly the problems I've seen in my own career. I term the difference that an industrialist knows a specific industry and a business manager thinks business credientials apply to all companies. In my experience, the latter is total bulls*t.

One other comment, people who focusing only on making money tend to produce money for themselves, but little else of value. Recall *profit* implies goods on unequal value have been exchanged.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:59 pm

squeen wrote: One other comment, people who focusing only on making money tend to produce money for themselves, but little else of value.

Exactly right. You guys are coming at this from wrong assumptions. You think these people actually care about the companies they are "managing." In actual fact all they care about is their own pocketbook and status. They are successful and competent - just not at the job they pretend to be doing. If you doubt this, check Carly's bank account.

When the silent majority starts to idolize people for their skills rather than how big their house is or how many Maseratis they have in the driveway, things will change. Not until then.

GeneratriX

DiGITAL

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:01 pm

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:so, the people running(into the ground) sgi,ford,gm,boeing etc. - where did they work previously?

Let me think: DIGITAL

unixmuseum wrote:
squeen wrote:I don't see a worth successor to SGI/IRIX HPC, just a bunch of low end PC mediocrity.

I couldn't agree with you more... I've been contemplating the "next logical upgrade" for me for a couple of years and I don't see anything at all on the market that stands out...

Exactly; and these is the more sad thing. All which had/has some value at the company (the Jim Clark's legacy) will be lost if the company is lost, and there is nothing visible to replace them in the sense of the whole thing that Silicon Graphics was/is for the industry.

At this point, I'm wondering if it could be the best for us the purchase of the company at hands of Mainland China, the makers of the Godson-2 processor...

hamei

Re: DiGITAL

Unread postby hamei » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:06 am

GeneratriX wrote: At this point, I'm wondering if it could be the best for us the purchase of the company at hands of Mainland China, the makers of the Godson-2 processor...

Uhhm, no. Definitely, no. Take my word for it, you don't want that to happen.

GeneratriX

Re: DiGITAL

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:53 am

hamei wrote:
GeneratriX wrote: At this point, I'm wondering if it could be the best for us the purchase of the company at hands of Mainland China, the makers of the Godson-2 processor...

Uhhm, no. Definitely, no. Take my word for it, you don't want that to happen.

Then I'll take your word, Hamei! ...You must be right; you're the chinese guy! ;)

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:16 am

Silicon Graphics Inc today issued a melancholy press release confirming that it has been kicked off the New York Stock Exchange, and will now trade as a "penny stock".
The news will bring a shudder to many in Silicon Valley for whom SGI was not simply an employer - and many Reg friends have passed through its doors - but a company that represented the heady elixir of what untrammeled engineering prowess may achieve when married to some fairly intoxicating dreams.

I think I'm gonna go puke a little. (hugs the onyx2) Feel a little better now.
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

zahal

Unread postby zahal » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 pm

Most likely it's the vatican's work...just like they used their bolshevik puppets to destroy czarist Russia, just like they invented that other religion to burst the eastern roman empire, just how they kept europe in the dark ages for five centuries, and how they have been behind every war since the fifth century :twisted:

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:these problems at sgi are probably intentional.

i dont know why, but i am seeing a pattern that cant be a coincidence in big american company's.

sgi,
gm,
delphi,
ford,
boeing,
etc.....

is there some hidden level to this i'm not seeing where the directors have found a way to increase there personal income by wrecking these company's,
or are they all just members of some satanic cult? :(
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 600MHz PIII - HP Alphaserver DS15 - Digital DECstation5000/133 - Dell T3500 - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6100/66 - Apple PowerMacintosh 6500/G3@500MHz - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh LC475 (OC Full 040 33MHz) - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Full 040 40Mhz Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - EBOX 3300A-JSK - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Compaq Armada 4120 - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP OmniBook 425 - HP 200LX - Crossbeam C12

Return to “SGI: Discussion”