Progress on the hobbyist/low end user front...

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dcarmich

Progress on the hobbyist/low end user front...

Unread postby dcarmich » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:16 pm

Just heard back from Robert Green. He says that he's assigned an
individual on his team to sort and analyze all of your responses (they
were _great_) and will be putting together a report to senior
management for them to decide whether to offer the program or not.

I think that those of you who wrote Anneke and Robert should also
write Bob Bishop and Warren Pratt (mailto:bishop@sgi.com and mailto:pratt@sgi.com)
respectively to both express your support for a low end user program
and detail how you think it could help SGI from a _business_ point of
view. Be a bit more concise than your message to Anneke and Robert,
though.

CC your message to me as well at mailto:dcarmich@ourservers.net.

Also send me any responses you get back from SGI.

Thanks. (The fight's not over yet, but it's moving forward.. ;)

--Douglas

Stonent

Unread postby Stonent » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:16 pm

Done! My point was why install install linux or netbsd to get limited functionality out of your used SGI when there is a way to acquire it the native OS inexpensively and easily.

If SGI makes 50$ off of a person who would have otherwise not paid for it in the first place, it is still 50$ in the bank.

Maybe we should submit a story to slashdot and get a petition going? Though I wouldn't link directly to this site as I wouldn't want to hear about someone's house burning down because of a nasty Slashdotting.
- Stonent -
The preceding post has been brought to you in Infinite Reality!

dcarmich

A slashdot article is in the works.

Unread postby dcarmich » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:14 pm

I am working with SGI staff on a slashdot article, don't worry about posting it.

Stonent

Unread postby Stonent » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:36 pm

Well I'm glad to see that they are so interested in this. :D
- Stonent -

The preceding post has been brought to you in Infinite Reality!

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:54 am

My point was an official online forum and the limited availability of IRIX to non-commercial hobbyists. I argueed that with the loss of contracts with many academic institutes (such as mine) the ability for people to learn about SGI hardware and software needs new ground.

Uhh... is the email address provided correct? I had it bounced.

Final-Recipient: RFC822; mailto:pratt@sgi.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mx5.sgi.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 <pratt@sgi.com>... HEY - USER UNKNOWN
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:01:46 -0400 (EDT)
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

dcarmich

Try wpratt@sgi.com...

Unread postby dcarmich » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:27 am

Try mailto:wpratt@sgi.com... (if the email to Bob Bishop bounced, try mailto:bbishop@sgi.com.)

mistermark

Unread postby mistermark » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:35 pm

Hello all,

Well, I'm new to this forum, but the subjects are exactly what I ran into... I got myself this nice Challenge S last february and I planned to run NetBSD on it after having good experiences running it on a Sparc. But I was heavily disappointed finding that the sgimips-port isn't nearly as good as the sparc-one(no SCSI, no L2-cache, I only got it working netbooting)... So this left me to do only one thing, find IRIX! :-)

Well, easier said as done, I mailed a couple of people from who I knew had the official CD's but they wouldn't burn me a copy(I hated to ask also, I wanted my own CD's but where and how?). Anyway, I'm *not allowed* to tell you how I eventually got them, but since I'm *not allowed* to, I guess you can guess in which direction you have to look (what a nice company!) :-)

Anyway, I now have a Challenge S, R5000SC/180 installed with 6.5.18m :-) ...and I'm configuring it at the moment to be the webserver of this new domain I registered, http://geektechnique.org/ In about two weeks I will be 'co-locating' this SGI... Ahum, well, that means, I will be putting it in a closet in a dormroom with a very high-bandwith connection (10mbit up&down) here in town...

I feel that everybody as enthusiastic as myself about SGI's should be able to get their hands on a recent copy of IRIX, I really shouldn't know what I would do without it...
"I want an equal amount of blueberries in each muffin, understand?"

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:26 am

Stonent wrote:If SGI makes 50$ off of a person who would have otherwise not paid for it in the first place, it is still 50$ in the bank.

That's a good way to look at it. Also, I'd bet that most of us are using sgi gear for fun and not for profit, so it's not as if we're planning on buying 30 copies of irix at $50.00 a pop and using them for our company.

blackcube

Unread postby blackcube » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:05 pm

I think that a $50 or $100 charge for an Irix license and media kit would be a reasonable deal. I'd like to see older versions of Irix 4.x-6.2x made available similar to the deal that HP-Compaq offers to hobbyists for VMS and the old PDP systems. Join Encompass (formerly DECUS) and get the software license for free + a nominal charge for media. As long as you are an Encompass member, you have access to the old DEC operating systems, a lot of the application software and license packs. There is a non-commercial use license agreement, but I would welcome a similar arrangement with Sgi.

When I purchased my first Sgi box, a R4400 Indy, it was delivered blank. I called my local Sgi office and while they were extremely friendly, the rep regretted to inform me that while he personally would give me a media set, his supervisor was a stickler for policy and forbid it. He suggested, off the record, that I try Ebay. And I did. But it would be nice to be totally legal and have access to updates.

BTW, nice site. I've just added an R4000 Indigo and an Indigo2 R10k Impact to my collection and I was promised another Indy in trade for some old Amiga's that I didn't want. I'm looking for the right Octane and O2 next.

Satoru

Unread postby Satoru » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:24 am

I was not able to find the OS for my new-old Alphastation, a link would help a lot!

Thanks
Marco/Sat

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:05 am

Satoru wrote:I was not able to find the OS for my new-old Alphastation, a link would help a lot!

Thanks
Marco/Sat

http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/

Maybe it's what you're looking for?

Return to “SGI: Discussion”