Irix review.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
semi-fly

Irix review.

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:33 pm

Even though Most readers here have probably already seen this review and it is a few months old, I really enjoyed reading this article;
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1859
The forum posts are pretty interesting and I think somone might have linked nekochan.net somewhere in there.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:19 pm

accidently hit submit key without realizing - ignore me, read next post
Last edited by vegac on Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:21 pm

I just as I hate to say it...that rather good review is flawed...

1) How could this person have been running OpenGL apps fullscreen in 1920x1200, when the highest res an Octane will run at (to my knowledge) is 1600x1200?

2) I'm sorry, but no SGI graphics I've worked with have been able to match raw speed with a GeForce2 card...image quality is better, some features are nicer, but speed? No

So this brings me to this question...
For good reviews, did SGI send out a "5 year old" Octane with dual 195mhz R10ks, and a beefy new V12 graphics set, to make it look better or what? Because MAYBE with the VPro architecture those 2 above statements could be true, but otherwise, I have to call it a lie...

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:28 pm

Right, the guy obviously has no idea what he's talking about when it come to certain aspects of sgi hardware or Irix;

We should not forget that this is a 5 year old graphics card and machine, which came out at a time that Voodoo1 was making its first shy steps, and SGI was already selling graphics cards that are faster than my recently purchased GeForce2MX-400 Asus card

How could he know somthing like this without posting any benchmarks or sgi board specs?

For the Unix side of things, IRIX is based on BSD 4.4 (do not confuse this root of all BSDs in the '80s with today's FreeBSD 4.x)

Huh? Where did he find such definitive information on the history of Irix?

It's mostly just good press for sgi, as the author seemed pretty positive in regards to Irix...

DaJuice

Unread postby DaJuice » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:37 am

According to the display properties of my octane SSI, max res is 1920x1035_60 so maybe the 1920x1200 was a typo.

I'm sorry, but no SGI graphics I've worked with have been able to match raw speed with a GeForce2 card...image quality is better, some features are nicer, but speed? No

I use both the octane and my pc for 3d modeling (in Houdini), and just judging by feel I would say the SSI has a good 70% of the polygon-pushing ability of the PC's GeForce2. And keep in mind, the MX line of GeForce2's are the value models, both the GPU and memory are clocked lower than a normal GF2.

mr_ripley

Unread postby mr_ripley » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:03 am

I use both the octane and my pc for 3d modeling (in Houdini), and just judging by feel I would say the SSI has a good 70% of the polygon-pushing ability of the PC's GeForce2.

Out of interest, have you used softquadro on your gf2?

somecodemonkey

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:36 am

*WIRRRR WIRRRR* hmm whats that thats going off?

Hmm this is an interesting reading i am getting from that article

women and children first
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:14 am

vegac wrote:So this brings me to this question...
For good reviews, did SGI send out a "5 year old" Octane with dual 195mhz R10ks, and a beefy new V12 graphics set, to make it look better or what? Because MAYBE with the VPro architecture those 2 above statements could be true, but otherwise, I have to call it a lie...

The review system had MXI Graphics....there's a system view in the last(I think it was) screenshot.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

DaJuice

Unread postby DaJuice » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:25 pm

Yeah, I use softquadro, I like my anti-aliased lines thankyouverymuch. :)

lisp

Unread postby lisp » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:37 am

semi-fly wrote:
For the Unix side of things, IRIX is based on BSD 4.4 (do not confuse this root of all BSDs in the '80s with today's FreeBSD 4.x)

Huh? Where did he find such definitive information on the history of Irix?

Probably from one of the Unix family trees. ISTR most of them indicate IRIX derives from MIPS OS or something, which is a BSD derivative.

Things are muddy though.
--
lisa

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:59 am

I see alot of System V references in IRIX, not just BSD.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:39 am

IRIX is completely SYS V in structure, with some BSD compatibility added on.
That doesn’t say it was based on BSD in very early versions, but it is definitely SYS V now.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”