Prism workstation is out!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Thaidog

Unread postby Thaidog » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:15 pm

That 750 was the heat! Too bad I can't find one now to save my life!

roosmcd

Unread postby roosmcd » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:50 pm

Thaidog wrote:That 750 was the heat! Too bad I can't find one now to save my life!

Hehe, why you can't find one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/03/itanium_fends_off_opteron/

Quote: "Just ask SGI. They sold 29 Itanium servers in the first quarter and then 26 systems in the second quarter. Compare this to Unisys which sold 7 Itanium servers in the first quarter and then managed to sell 6 servers in the second quarter. Wait. Those numbers are trending down."

This would make a real SGI 750 box probably even rarer than a BeBox? Fortunately they are similar to the other machines, so you can also just buy a HP machine and pretend it's from SGI.

"Intel misses Itanium sales mark by $26.6bn"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/28/itanium_04_sales/
Quote "SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes to take 4 per cent of the market, and Fujitsu finished fifth with a whopping 233 systems sold in all of 2004, giving it 1 per cent of the market. Groupe Bull, NEC, Legend, LangChao and Unisys rounded out the top ten Itanium vendors - each managing to convince a few close, personal friends to take some Itanic kit off their hands."

Ok, that would probably put it about in the same ballpark as the BeBox.
[/url]

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:11 am

LaLora wrote:I don't know if you made a typing error since letters "i" and "u" are right by each other on the keyboard, but that's one hell great new word:

Altix -> Al(tux) :D

Ever heard of Tux, the penguin? He's the Linux mascot, so Altix (running Linux) becomes Al-Tux ;)

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:47 am

..406 posts in less than 3 months? Congrats, man.. you sure are a record-breaker :wink:

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:54 am

iirc someone here said that the 750's identical to HP's earliest itanium release, and there may have been another company selling it, so the sgi parts that I'd be looking for, would be the software.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:07 am

LaLora wrote:..406 posts in less than 3 months? Congrats, man.. you sure are a record-breaker :wink:

I hadn't even noticed! I need to get a life! :lol:

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:10 am

Dubhthach wrote: Still the next version of Itanium is dual core and is pin compatible with those, so within 9months or so ye be able to upgrade your 2CPU Prism workstation 4CPU (2 x dual core)

exactly.

a 4-way SMP bus is slower that a 2-WAY (physical bus). trace lengths are to long. the world is going multicore everywhere.

and besides it's a peecee so.... why would i buy one again? (until it gets on ebay)

assyrix

Unread postby assyrix » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 am

Antnee wrote:Indeed, silly you. Didn't you read this:

Antnee wrote:Oh, and PCI-X and PCI-Express are completely different beasts Shrek. Check this: http://www.pcisig.com/specifications

Oh, and it's not bad. PCI-X is backwards compatible and runs to 533MHz

Last time I checked, != means "doesn't equal" too. ie, PCI-X != PCI-E means "PCI-X DOESN'T EQUAL PCI-Express"

Yes, I read that. Still does not explain the lack of PCI-E in that box.

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:44 pm

assyrix wrote:Yes, I read that. Still does not explain the lack of PCI-E in that box.

Probably because the whole thing is based on the existing Prism racks, which is in turn based on Altix (Sorry, Altux) which was designed before PCI-E, so to add PCI-E would cost more, and when SGI have to increase cost, they sure increase cost! They wanted this one to be cheap, and besides, there's nothing wrong woth AGPx8 when you know what you're doing with it!

As for this being an SMP machine, well I gather that's wrong. From what I've been told (by reputable sources) this is a NUMA machine. I think it uses NUMAlink4, but I could be wrong (apparently it's only internally though, so there's no expansion a la O200(0) CrayLink)

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:14 pm

TeeTylerToe, I once tried to get a 750. Proved exceedingly hard to just find someone who knew of a machine somewhere. I finally got a quote on the HP equivalent, for more than 2000 Euros. Had to give up there...
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

chicago-joe

Unread postby chicago-joe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:15 pm

TeeTylerToe Wrote:
iirc someone here said that the 750's identical to HP's earliest itanium release, and there may have been another company selling it, so the sgi parts that I'd be looking for, would be the software.

You could do something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92563&rd=1 the price is right, but I don't know if you could ever get the Microsoft "stink" off the machine. :wink:

Joe

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:34 pm

chicago-joe wrote:TeeTylerToe Wrote:

You could do something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92563&rd=1 the price is right, but I don't know if you could ever get the Microsoft "stink" off the machine. :wink:

Joe

Darn! This was supposed to be mine! :lol:

gamerKarl

Unread postby gamerKarl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:39 pm

Just for kicks, I tallied up the cost of building a comparable Opteron system yerself. Here were my results-

2x Opteron model 250 (2.4ghz)- $1400
Motherboard (AGP/DDR/PCI-x, blah blah)-$550
8GB PC-3200-$800
3d Labs Realizm 800 (AGP/640MB)-$2000
SCSI-U320 PCI-X controller card-$200
2x Cheeta 73GB/U320-$620
Uber case of doom with redundant power supplies-$600
DVD Burner (normal form factor :P)-$100
Total-$6270

So, for $2300 LESS that what SGI is charging, you could get a system that's certainly much faster. How about that.

EDIT- I tallied it up with a lesser case, a reasonable amount of memory, and SATA drives, and it was only $4200. Freakin' HALF of what SGI charges for a system that is slower than even that config.
Last edited by gamerKarl on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:11 pm

speak of the devil, and intel will appear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
HP will probably charge $2,000+ for the processor board though, and there's still the problem with the sgi software/firmware & other accessories.

this slashtod posting i think confirms that HP, intel, and SGI were all using the same board design.
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=124 ... read&pid=0

*edit* nope, the missing board is the one that they no longer stock... though i suppose you could still try to hit up Intel, SGI, or the web at large.

*edit 2* dell precision 730 too it appears.

mia

Unread postby mia » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:24 pm

Why an itanium2, and why is SGI dropping mips and why not an opteron and what's wrong with the commodore 64?

Unfortunately SGI has to obey to market economics, the whole company is worth $200M, which is peanuts, without Intel feeding SGI, they would be dead already, sure SGI is a great opportunity for Intel to show off. SGI is now tied to Intel if they want to make it for a little longer, so forget about mips/amd, game's over, go back to your commodore 64.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”