Prism workstation is out!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: ?

Unread postby hamei » Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 am

frood wrote:... Try sticking 23GB of memory into that...

Judging by past SGI prices, that'll run you just a smidge over $47,950. Plus tax and license.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Thu May 05, 2005 9:06 am

frood wrote:
Diego wrote:
foetz wrote:sorry this is crap.
read the specs and see...

hi Foetz! ;)

you talk about the Deskside Prism, or about the GameKarl box? Your post does not sounds too clear for me, sorry...

Assuming he means the PC, i'd have to agree. Try sticking 23GB of memory into that...

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro.html
it says it only supports 32GB... but with
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configu ... 33Q4R25/4G
or
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configu ... 33D4R25/4G
64 GB... for $16,000 or $64,000 and 8 2.6GHz SledgeHammer cores... =]
(just pricing the RAM mins you)

but if you're willing to allow that that board can hold 64, then that opens the door for a few other choice tyan boards with 24+GB (32GB)

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

only 4 cores, and 32GB RAM, but somehow I don't think that will impinge too much.

the downside, is the Operating systems, FreeBSD, which MAC OS is based on, Linux, Solaris, and OS/2... lean pickins.

frood

Unread postby frood » Thu May 05, 2005 9:36 am

hamei wrote:
frood wrote:... Try sticking 23GB of memory into that...

Judging by past SGI prices, that'll run you just a smidge over $47,950. Plus tax and license.

Which is nothing to the governments, oil companies and academic institutions that will consider purchasing this product.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 06, 2005 9:33 am

Diego wrote:

hi Foetz! ;)

you talk about the Deskside Prism, or about the GameKarl box? Your post does not sounds too clear for me, sorry...

just read the prism deskside specs and see that it's nothing you can compile using off the shelf
stuff.
r-a-c.de

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Fri May 06, 2005 11:09 am

foetz wrote:
Diego wrote:

hi Foetz! ;)

just read the prism deskside specs and see that it's nothing you can compile using off the shelf
stuff.

sorry for being slow on the uptake, but what are you referring to0?

up to two 1.3 or 1.6GHz Itanium 2 processors with 2 MB L2

you can get a dual 1.6 with 9MB L2 off the shelf.

2-24GB... you can beat that too

up too two ATI x3's... you can beat that

up to two 160GB 7,200 RPM SATA drives... yea, those 160GB 7,200 RPM SATA drives regularly outclass 142GB 15K SCSI drives... oh wait.

one PATA channel, three SATA channels... you can beat that.

4 RS-422 ports... can't think of something offhand that can beat that, but I'm sure there's something out there.

one gigabit E port... can beat that.

six 64/133 PCI slots, can beat that.

the only thing off hand that'd be difficult, is mating an off the shelf Itanium with 2 PCI ex/AGP 8x slots, but then you've got those Opteron boards with the dual PCI ex.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 06, 2005 11:15 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:
foetz wrote:
Diego wrote:

hi Foetz! ;)

stuff.

sorry for being slow on the uptake, but what are you referring to0?

up to two 1.3 or 1.6GHz Itanium 2 processors with 2 MB L2

you can get a dual 1.6 with 9MB L2 off the shelf.

2-24GB... you can beat that too

up too two ATI x3's... you can beat that

up to two 160GB 7,200 RPM SATA drives... yea, those 160GB 7,200 RPM SATA drives regularly outclass 142GB 15K SCSI drives... oh wait.

one PATA channel, three SATA channels... you can beat that.

4 RS-422 ports... can't think of something offhand that can beat that, but I'm sure there's something out there.

one gigabit E port... can beat that.

six 64/133 PCI slots, can beat that.

the only thing off hand that'd be difficult, is mating an off the shelf Itanium with 2 PCI ex/AGP 8x slots, but then you've got those Opteron boards with the dual PCI ex.

the prism has massive i/o and mem bandwidth. also there's a custom bridge to feed the
gfx units.
r-a-c.de

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Fri May 06, 2005 4:21 pm

the itanium bus is standard, iirc it's 128 bit at 400 MHz or something, anyway I remember calculating the total bandwidth came out to around 50 gigabits (not bytes).

the other SGIs have some sort of 1:1 crossbar so that nodes can talk to eachother with a bandwidth of 128 bits at 400MHz.

on the prism deskside, it is totally, and completely worthless.

the opteron board with the dual PCI ex 16X has exactly twice the efficacy of the custom bridge to feed the gfx units, and the only other i/o is bog standard 64/133 PCI

as for the mem, as I said, it's itaniums standard 128 bit at 400 MHz.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... ML-8G2.cfm
quad interleaved ddr 200 (100 actual)

the deskside prism, is, unfortunately two notches below bog standard.

it's limited to procs with 3MB L2, instead of the 6, & 9 MB available, and it's got agp 8x, instead of pci ex 16x.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Fri May 06, 2005 5:04 pm

I guess we can argue as much as we want, interpolating performance based on a marketing brochure, but the only way of forming a real-life opinion is for one of us to get a Prism Desktop and report back here... Stay tuned :wink:

GeneratriX

BraveMuseum

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri May 06, 2005 7:41 pm

unixmuseum wrote:I guess we can argue as much as we want, interpolating performance based on a marketing brochure, but the only way of forming a real-life opinion is for one of us to get a Prism Desktop and report back here... Stay tuned :wink:

Now we are talking!; Brave man! ;)

Cory5412

Re: BraveMuseum

Unread postby Cory5412 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Diego wrote:
unixmuseum wrote:I guess we can argue as much as we want, interpolating performance based on a marketing brochure, but the only way of forming a real-life opinion is for one of us to get a Prism Desktop and report back here... Stay tuned :wink:

Now we are talking!; Brave man! ;)

That means that everybody should pitch into the "Get Cory a Prism Deskside" foundation ;)

Cory will run benchmarks on the Prism, and somebody could donate the aforementioned "off the shelf" PC parts and he'll benchmark those too ;)

:P
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat May 07, 2005 3:08 pm

TeeTylerToe wrote:the itanium bus is standard, iirc it's 128 bit at 400 MHz or something, anyway I remember calculating the total bandwidth came out to around 50 gigabits (not bytes).

the other SGIs have some sort of 1:1 crossbar so that nodes can talk to eachother with a bandwidth of 128 bits at 400MHz.

on the prism deskside, it is totally, and completely worthless.

the opteron board with the dual PCI ex 16X has exactly twice the efficacy of the custom bridge to feed the gfx units, and the only other i/o is bog standard 64/133 PCI

as for the mem, as I said, it's itaniums standard 128 bit at 400 MHz.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... ML-8G2.cfm
quad interleaved ddr 200 (100 actual)

the deskside prism, is, unfortunately two notches below bog standard.

it's limited to procs with 3MB L2, instead of the 6, & 9 MB available, and it's got agp 8x, instead of pci ex 16x.

so your opteron can use system memory for gfx?

however, i've no intention in having a number-battle. i'm under the impression you lack
real world practice. but no problem go and take your amd. whatever makes you happy.
ah one thing you might think about: why are sgi and nec - the both cutting edge companies -
using ia64 and not amd?
r-a-c.de

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Sat May 07, 2005 3:47 pm

you seem to be under the impression that I'm trying to bite off more then I can chew. all I'm trying to do, is point out that the off shelf components can build competitive systems for less money, either starting out with a opteron, or a itanium.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat May 07, 2005 4:09 pm

TeeTylerToe wrote:you seem to be under the impression that I'm trying to bite off more then I can chew. all I'm trying to do, is point out that the off shelf components can build competitive systems for less money, either starting out with a opteron, or a itanium.

sure but imo the prism has some 'specials' an off the shelf system can't offer.
r-a-c.de

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Sat May 07, 2005 4:24 pm

why are sgi and nec - the both cutting edge companies -
using ia64 and not amd?

Why is Cray, a cutting edge supercomputing company using AMD and not IA64?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat May 07, 2005 4:29 pm

LaLora wrote:
why are sgi and nec - the both cutting edge companies -
using ia64 and not amd?

Why is Cray, a cutting edge supercomputing company using AMD and not IA64?

cray is good but nec's sx-8 is the top.
as i said, nec(vector) and sgi(non vector) are the two leading companies these days.
r-a-c.de

Return to “SGI: Discussion”