Prism workstation is out!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:20 am

mia wrote: game's over, go back to your commodore 64.

can you get one in red ?

Antnee

Unread postby Antnee » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:30 am

mia wrote:why is SGI dropping mips

You're asking for trouble there! ;)

codemonkey

Unread postby codemonkey » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:42 am

gamerKarl wrote:Just for kicks, I tallied up the cost of building a comparable Opteron system yerself. Here were my results-

2x Opteron model 250 (2.4ghz)- $1400
Motherboard (AGP/DDR/PCI-x, blah blah)-$550
8GB PC-3200-$800
3d Labs Realizm 800 (AGP/640MB)-$2000
SCSI-U320 PCI-X controller card-$200
2x Cheeta 73GB/U320-$620
Uber case of doom with redundant power supplies-$600
DVD Burner (normal form factor :P)-$100
Total-$6270

So, for $2300 LESS that what SGI is charging, you could get a system that's certainly much faster. How about that.

EDIT- I tallied it up with a lesser case, a reasonable amount of memory, and SATA drives, and it was only $4200. Freakin' HALF of what SGI charges for a system that is slower than even that config.

While we can bulid it for much cheaper, business's NEED the support contracts also, which is why they always end up buying highly overpriced stuff.
Even the reverse side has a reverse side - Japanese Proverb

donny

Unread postby donny » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:12 am

codemonkey wrote:While we can bulid it for much cheaper, business's NEED the support contracts also, which is why they always end up buying highly overpriced stuff.

There is truth to that, but if I'm in business, I don't see why I'd buy SGI's overpriced linux box, when I could get the same or better box from HP for 1/2 to 2/3 the price, support contract and all.
There is no spoon

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:20 am

donny wrote:
codemonkey wrote:While we can bulid it for much cheaper, business's NEED the support contracts also, which is why they always end up buying highly overpriced stuff.

There is truth to that, but if I'm in business, I don't see why I'd buy SGI's overpriced linux box, when I could get the same or better box from HP for 1/2 to 2/3 the price, support contract and all.

All I can say is SGI must have some smokin' support for that price :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Digital Media

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:32 am

zolotroph wrote:So without particularly special graphics abilities or digital media hardware options, who would buy the Prism "deskside" vs. a cheaper Linux box from another vendor?

-zolo

Well; I've investigated quickly about those DigitalMedia matters, and seem that not only the SkyMicro Merlin boards are suitable for use with the new Deskside Prism.

SGI has in their RoadMap (well, not formerly; but at least announced on their pages) a wider range of options comming from legacy IRIX/MIPS hardware too:

Silicon Graphics Tezro - Digital Media

To put it clearest, and just in case to avoid assumptions here, I'm not trying to boost one thing over other thing, and I'm just trying to stablish what are the options for my actual/future software developments.

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed May 04, 2005 3:46 pm

gamerKarl wrote:Just for kicks, I tallied up the cost of building a comparable Opteron system yerself. Here were my results-

2x Opteron model 250 (2.4ghz)- $1400
Motherboard (AGP/DDR/PCI-x, blah blah)-$550
8GB PC-3200-$800
3d Labs Realizm 800 (AGP/640MB)-$2000
SCSI-U320 PCI-X controller card-$200
2x Cheeta 73GB/U320-$620
Uber case of doom with redundant power supplies-$600
DVD Burner (normal form factor :P)-$100
Total-$6270

So, for $2300 LESS that what SGI is charging, you could get a system that's certainly much faster. How about that.

EDIT- I tallied it up with a lesser case, a reasonable amount of memory, and SATA drives, and it was only $4200. Freakin' HALF of what SGI charges for a system that is slower than even that config.

sorry this is crap.
read the specs and see...

GeneratriX

?

Unread postby GeneratriX » Wed May 04, 2005 4:06 pm

foetz wrote:sorry this is crap.

hi Foetz! ;)

you talk about the Deskside Prism, or about the GameKarl box? Your post does not sounds too clear for me, sorry...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed May 04, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, there's no way that anything out of ATi is going to touch a Realizm 800. If the Prism had a great graphics card that'd be something different, perhaps. Or even a full-size DVD writer .... great skins on the case, tho.

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Wed May 04, 2005 9:38 pm

Yawn.

(Ben goes back to playing with his Onyx2 that's still awesome almost 9 years later. FU SGI!)
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

bgawert

Unread postby bgawert » Thu May 05, 2005 12:51 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:*edit* oh, it has two 8x AGP slots so you can have two 32 bit per component ATI workstation cards... although you're limited to 256MB it looks like, because graphics card makers have brought to the public a gaming 512MB card that is totally and utterly pointless, but they haven't brought out, to my knowledge, a 512MB workstation card.

Well, the Nvidia Quadro FX4400 exists. It has 512MB, but it's a PCIe card, though. It's a very nice card...

Benjamin

bgawert

Unread postby bgawert » Thu May 05, 2005 12:57 am

LaLora wrote:
HP's discontinued it's zx6000

HP did not discontinue zx6000. It's at their website, together with entry level price, warranty and specifications:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/renew/zx6000.html

Well, HP indeed DID discontinue the zx6000 some time ago. The link You provided is for HP RENEW systems, not for new machines. It*s the same like SGI Remanufactured, used systems that are cleaned, updated and look like new are sold to customers that have a need of machines that aren't available as new any more.

But it doesn't change the fact that HP indeed has burried all Itanium workstation efforts.

BTW: around half a year ago a HP RENEW rx2600 (which is basically a zx6000 without AGP and Sound) with two Itanium2 CPUs went for 1999EUR here in Germany from a big HP RENEW reseller.

Benjamin

bgawert

Unread postby bgawert » Thu May 05, 2005 1:00 am

hamei wrote:Hmm. I wonder if you could run HP-UX on it ?

Certainly not. I really doubt HP-UX supports the PRISM hardware...

The only SGI workstation that was able to run HP-UX was the SGI 750...

Benjamin

bgawert

Unread postby bgawert » Thu May 05, 2005 1:19 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:iirc someone here said that the 750's identical to HP's earliest itanium release, and there may have been another company selling it, so the sgi parts that I'd be looking for, would be the software.

The SGI 750 was just a plain OEM box from intel. The only thing SGI did was putting their badge on the front. That's it.

The same intel OEM box was sold by HP (i2000), Dell (Precision 730), Siemens (Celsius 800) and others. You even could buy it as generic white box from intel.

HP probably sold the most systems with their i2000.

The system itself wasn't bad. Of course the first Itanium had a only average int performance (around a PIII at the same clock rate) but was really good at fp. I used i2000s and rx4610s (4 cpu Itanium rack server) for SETI@Home, one cpu could do a data set in less than 2hrs which was very good compared to other 2001-vintage processors. Also the I/O rate was very good. The worst part was the AGP port because the intel chipset had a faulty AGP implementation which prevented the i2000 and it's brethren from doing accelerated 3D in Linux and Windows, and with HP-UX the AGP port didn't work at all (it worked as a text console only).

Benjamin

frood

Re: ?

Unread postby frood » Thu May 05, 2005 7:04 am

Diego wrote:

hi Foetz! ;)

you talk about the Deskside Prism, or about the GameKarl box? Your post does not sounds too clear for me, sorry...

Assuming he means the PC, i'd have to agree. Try sticking 23GB of memory into that...

Return to “SGI: Discussion”