we wuz robbed !

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

we wuz robbed !

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:10 am

http://haikunews.org/gallery/bescreens2004/4in12

"Software:
Raid0, Digital Camera Device 64MB, and Adaptec 29160 scsi controler. Vncviewer client to Freebsd box."

My ass ! look at that screen !

jgilje

Unread postby jgilje » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:55 am

Well, if you look closer at the picture, you can clearly see that he is actually connected to a FreeBSD box

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:02 am

And Irix 6.5 and Solaris 8. That's too much info on one screen.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:06 am

jgilje wrote:Well, if you look closer at the picture, you can clearly see that he is actually connected to a FreeBSD box

As well as a Solaris box and the Indy, but the FreeBSD box is just a remotely-displayed terminal - certainly not the vncviewer window that they claim. The Solaris window might be vnc but you can't tell cuz the top is cut off ....

It was mostly kind of a trip seeing an Indy desktop on someone's BeOS screenshot :)

(and kind of a pisser that poor 'ol Irix and Solaris get no credit, when freebsd has the least interesting portion of the display. Frickin' popularity contest instead of an accurate caption :(

zappa

Unread postby zappa » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:38 am

hamei wrote:As well as a Solaris box and the Indy, but the FreeBSD box is just a remotely-displayed terminal - certainly not the vncviewer window that they claim.

But yes, it is - there's another thin frame around this terminal window. But you're right, it's a pity there's no mention of IRIX or Solaris :-(
Such bugs and goblins in my life!
(Taken from Hamlet)

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:20 am

zappa wrote: But yes, it is - there's another thin frame around this terminal window. But you're right, it's a pity there's no mention of IRIX or Solaris :-(

Maybe it's time to get the eyes checked again :)

Still, if that's all he was gonna do, then why not just display the terminal remotely ? And why only mention the freebsd when the Irix and Solaris windows were so much lovelier ? We oughta demand equal time !!

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:10 pm

Don't feel too bad, hamei. He's running RAID 0 and likely as his main storage device. He'll be feeling the pain when it all comes crashing down on him.

And there's always the hope that he's running it on a VIA chipset. Those VIA chipsets burn houses down and molester small tortoises with their snap-craptitude.

:lol:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 pm

Scott Tarr wrote:Don't feel too bad, hamei. He's running RAID 0 and likely as his main storage device. He'll be feeling the pain when it all comes crashing down on him.

:) Actually, I do like BeOS ... the hype was, as usual, just hype but underneath there is some good stuff. Keep reinstalling it every couple years just to play with. Then I delete it, since there's not very much you can do there. There isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that PTC would make Pro/E run on it and there's no servericious stuff at all so after admiring it for a week or two, zai jian BeOS.

Pretty nice for x86 tho .... might actually have made a nicer base for OS X than NeXTStep.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 am

hamei wrote:
Scott Tarr wrote:Don't feel too bad, hamei. He's running RAID 0 and likely as his main storage device. He'll be feeling the pain when it all comes crashing down on him.

:) Actually, I do like BeOS ... the hype was, as usual, just hype but underneath there is some good stuff. Keep reinstalling it every couple years just to play with. Then I delete it, since there's not very much you can do there. There isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that PTC would make Pro/E run on it and there's no servericious stuff at all so after admiring it for a week or two, zai jian BeOS.

Pretty nice for x86 tho .... might actually have made a nicer base for OS X than NeXTStep.

This is an old myth. BeOS at the time was much more inferior than NeXT and Be's asking price was very steep for an OS that Apple felt needed a lot of work to get up to snuff.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:15 am

zizban wrote:This is an old myth. BeOS at the time was much more inferior than NeXT and Be's asking price was very steep for an OS that Apple felt needed a lot of work to get up to snuff.

Having used both, I'd have to respectfully disagree. The good thing they got with NeXTStep was Jobs, however. Without him I don't imagine it would much have mattered what os they ended up using.

The interesting thing about Jobs going back to Apple was that it pretty much killed the move Sun had been making into using a lot of NeXTStep for their desktop ... and look who's upstairs at Sun these days ....

nzaal

Unread postby nzaal » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Lol, no sh**.. I had that happen to me not too long ago, 3x160gb sata disks go poof, and all my goodies dissapear! :evil:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”