Itaniums? sgi to use Dorado line to boost workstations?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Scott Tarr

Itaniums? sgi to use Dorado line to boost workstations?

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:08 am

Found this while browsing this morning.

I found this part most interesting...
Better yet, Dorado is the first in a long line of workstations. The aging IRIX on MIPS line has a successor at last, and you can even run the old binaries if you don't mind a speed hit.

Any thoughts on this?

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 am

One of the regular posters on Realworldtech is an sgi employer, he mentioned the "emulation" software for running IRIX/Mips binaries on Linux/Itanium, supposedly software compiled for IRIX/Mips will actually run faster on Linux/Itanium in "emulated mode". Then again who knows what software they were testing. It seems to be equivalent to FX32! that use to allow you run i386 win32 apps on alpha windowsNT.

As for the workstation, i find it interesting that they are going with twin AGP 8x, surely dual PCI-E 16x would have been better (well from a SLI point of view)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

schleusel

Unread postby schleusel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:06 am

Dubhthach wrote:As for the workstation, i find it interesting that they are going with twin AGP 8x, surely dual PCI-E 16x would have been better (well from a SLI point of view)

Prism still uses AGP 8x too. One can only guess why this is the case. Either it was already too long in development when the PCI Express hype started or they took the cheap route and simply built upon the AGP midplane of Onyx4 Ultimate Vision they already had.
Dorado is likely a repackaged Altix 350/Prism just like Tezro being a repackaged Origin 350/Onyx 350 IP. That would explain the rather high entry price point and the numalink option the article mentions. Now, with Origin 350 and Altix 350 sharing the same chassis too (and hence the nodeboards likely have the same form factor) and SGI tending to reuse every part they can I have this scary image of an Itanic workstation in a yellow Tezro case i my mind *shudder*.. ;-)

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:00 am

So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D

hamei

Re: Itaniums? sgi to use Dorado line to boost workstations?

Unread postby hamei » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:19 am

Scott Tarr wrote:I found this part most interesting...
Better yet, Dorado is the first in a long line of workstations. The aging IRIX on MIPS line has a successor at last, and you can even run the old binaries if you don't mind a speed hit.

Any thoughts on this?

Why would anyone want to buy this ? There's not a single thing about it that's special. You can buy anything you want from Sun and they haven't changed their minds every fifteen minutes about what their future is. AND you can still run Solaris executables even on their newest workstations ! Nothing on the desktop that SGI has done newer than the Octane shows any imagination whatsoever - so why spend four times as much money for half as much computer ? It was different when you were comparing an Octane to a Clunker, but hell - what has SGI done that's technically advanced or exciting since 1996 ? Nothing, as far as I can see.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:41 am

zizban wrote:So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D

Who cares about Fuels when ye be able to get Tezros ;)

zolotroph

Re: Itaniums? sgi to use Dorado line to boost workstations?

Unread postby zolotroph » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:51 am

hamei wrote:Why would anyone want to buy this ? There's not a single thing about it that's special. You can buy anything you want from Sun and they haven't changed their minds every fifteen minutes about what their future is. AND you can still run Solaris executables even on their newest workstations ! Nothing on the desktop that SGI has done newer than the Octane shows any imagination whatsoever - so why spend four times as much money for half as much computer ? It was different when you were comparing an Octane to a Clunker, but hell - what has SGI done that's technically advanced or exciting since 1996 ? Nothing, as far as I can see.

I predict the "Dorado" line will be released to a worldwide collective yawn.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:06 am

you can buy the parts for that system for about $3,000 unless they somehow make it propriatary. now they're just an obscenely overpriced OEM, although I do like how it looks like (assuming you get stuck with this) you won't be forced to upgrade through SGI. but basically the only "sgi" part of it, is the OS, which is a linux derivitave...

this move seems very similar to the two or three times SGI made NT boxes, except for the itanium's exceptional FP performance... but iirc both those were failures, so what does SGI think will make this try any different?

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:57 am

IMHO there is only one reason to buy this workstation. If you have gigabyte-sized models that do not fit into current available workstations from fsc and others. Costs for software that runs on it should be high too, since it must be ported and maintained as well ( I wouldn't bet on high performance figures from software that runs through an emulator ).

Matthias
Last edited by Brombear on Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:00 am

TeeTylerToe wrote:you can buy the parts for that system for about $3,000 unless they somehow make it propriatary.

the itanium processors alone cost 3,000 as far as i know SGI use their own chipset but other then that it's all basically off the shelf hardware. As Hamei said there hasn't been any innovation since 1996. From what i read XIO looks very similar to Hypertransport other then fact that it isn't DDR and only runs at 400mhz, it wouldn't have taken much in way of effort to either make it "DDR" or increase the clock rate to give alot better bandwidth.

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:23 am

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:00 am

well, the description seems very similar to their prism... for the prism, SGI's got this northbridge that's a crossbar to the local memory, and a 50Gbit NUMAlink port.

now I'm looking at the tezro, and it looks like it's got a similar architecture, so I'm supposing that whatever the tezro can do with it's numalink, you'll be able to do that with this new itanium workstation...

so, is this like a origin 200 where you can make connect only two nodes (I suppose hanging an origin off a numalink router, and trying to make a 8 proc o200 wouldn't work) or you can hang a i/o enclosure off of it? (it looks like you can hang a VME backplane off of a rackmount tezro...)

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Dubhthach wrote:
zizban wrote:So this beast will run Linux, I assume? Maybe cheap Fuels will appear on ebay now. :D

Who cares about Fuels when ye be able to get Tezros ;)

Let them get Fuels if that is their desire !!! :lol:

Tezro ... YUM YUM

I could promise that I read this a long time ago :?

We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

GeneratriX

Dorado

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:58 pm

As soon as they get done a tardist compatable "Software Manager" / "Software Packager" duetto for LINUX, and good drivers for the ATI graphic boardset, I don't mind if one of thoses "Dorado" Workstations lives in my desktop...

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:07 pm

themacosxflies wrote:
Tezro ... YUM YUM

I was checking the sgi site recently ye can get "remarketed" tezro with 4 x 700mhz R16k/1gb ram/73gb disk for 13,753 euro. (weak dollar is always good) what's giving me an itch is my bank is bending over backwards trying to give me a loan of 12k euro over 5years. I can't say i ain't tempted but i trust banks about as far as i can throw them, still it would make a nice 24th birthday present for myself in december! :lol:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”