Installing across a network

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
directedition

Installing across a network

Unread postby directedition » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:56 pm

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but it bugged me alot when I first got my O2. Without IRIX installed, my O2 was unable to read Inst CDROMs. Which of course makes it difficult to install the OS (hence the age old question: Which came first, the OS or the CDROM drivers?). Anyway, I found this guide to be quite usefull: http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/netboot.html

I can't count the number of times Ian Mapleson has saved my butt. :D

Anyway, I did it using a Linux box to host the mirror of the CDs. I also found that it still wouldn't read Inst disks until I installed the 6.5.17 overlays (I'm not sure where between 0 and 17 they gave it the magic patch).

I'm wondering if I downgrade to 6.3, if I'd have the same problems with Inst CDs.
- Jim
:Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI:

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installing across a network

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:58 pm

directedition wrote:Anyway, I did it using a Linux box to host the mirror of the CDs. I also found that it still wouldn't read Inst disks until I installed the 6.5.17 overlays (I'm not sure where between 0 and 17 they gave it the magic patch).

I've never heard of an O2 that couldn't read EFS (aka inst format) CD-ROMs. I've installed IRIX on a few different O2s now with no OS installed using only CD-ROMs, though always from overlay installation tools (6.5.14). It sounds like your O2 might not have the stock CD-ROM drive installed.

Anyway, I've never done a network install in all the years of using SGI gear. I don't have any Linux boxes :)

This thread also covered using Linux to bootstrap an IRIX install:

http://www.nekochan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”