Good source of info on IRIX system administration.

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
orionpi

Good source of info on IRIX system administration.

Unread postby orionpi » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:04 pm

My biggest barrier in configuring IRIX is that the file system seem to be quite different from Linux (which I learned on) or even OpenBSD. Is there a good source of info in this. Neko's HOWTO posts have been a great help, I would have never guess that the Xserver config was in /var/X11. One of the first things I do on a fresh install is move root's home dir to /root, does anyone know why it defaults to / or if moving it will affect anything adversly?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good source of info on IRIX system administration.

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:12 pm

orionpi wrote:My biggest barrier in configuring IRIX is that the file system seem to be quite different from Linux (which I learned on) or even OpenBSD. Is there a good source of info in this. Neko's HOWTO posts have been a great help, I would have never guess that the Xserver config was in /var/X11. One of the first things I do on a fresh install is move root's home dir to /root, does anyone know why it defaults to / or if moving it will affect anything adversly?

Moving it to /root is safe; I've done that in the past with no issues. The best place for info on IRIX administration is actually in the online manuals on your machine. You can also use SGI's Infosearch if you don't have the manuals installed. Here is a link to the directory layout on IRIX:

IRIX Directory Organization

That's part of IRIX Admin: Disks and Filesystems 007-2825-011. Check out all the IRIX Admin documents ... they're awesome.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

orionpi

Unread postby orionpi » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:30 pm

I love the part:
Every IRIX system disk contains some standard directories. These directories contain operating system files organized by function. This organization is not entirely logical; it has evolved over time and has its roots in several versions of UNIX.

Thats a great help!

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:07 am

Aww man... :roll:

I have to practice literacy some more. :wink:

I'm defiantely gonna have to give that a read.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:44 am

I found a pretty cool site with a bit of good info on IRIX 5.3

If anyone is still using it...

http://rsusu1.rnd.runnet.ru/sgi/index.html

Return to “SGI: Discussion”