Getting irix to list nfs shares

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
SparcV

Getting irix to list nfs shares

Unread postby SparcV » Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 pm

Im trying to setup nfs shares on one of my file servers for my two sgi's to access. Im using FreeBSD 4.8 on the machine and I have the dir listed in /etc/exports. I can connect to the share from the command line in irix like this: mount -t nfs mitsumi:/sgi /mnt/share and it works just fine. When I try to use any of the graphical interfaces it refuses to list the shares out. When I use the filesystem manager and manually enter the information it complains that the remote directory is invalid. Is there anything special I need to do on the nfs server to make it work?

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue May 27, 2003 12:33 am

Um, funny that. I only had problems with the other way around: irix servers and linux clients (2.4.x kernels). This can be made to work by patching the kernel for bugs in glibc.
But what you describe is likely some problem on the IRIX side. What version are you running? Do you have NFS3 installed on that?

I will try to test this. As we speak i'm building a kernel (on linux slackware) with nfs3 support and see if my O2 can connect to it.

hold on

SparcV

Unread postby SparcV » Tue May 27, 2003 4:33 am

Both my SGI's an Octane and an O2 are running 6.5.20m and yes I have nfs3 installed.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue May 27, 2003 4:50 am

well, i just recompiled a kernel on my linux box (slackware 8.1, linux 2.4.20) with nfs3 server, did an export of my home: /home <ip-address>(ro) rebooted and both via console and filemanager the O2 (6.5.19m with nfs3) could connect just fine...

So afaik if the nfs dir is world readable there should be no problems whatsoever.

Check permissions on that directory, flip over 'man exports' once again, try other apps which can browse to the nfs share. Switch on/off version 3 support, Switch on/off TCP support (i have it enabled, and works like a charm, no more UDP for me :))

Try other clients also...

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue May 27, 2003 5:32 am

MIght want to try mouting it with the 'nosuid' bit enabled:
Somthing like this, mount -t nfs -o hard,intr,timeo=20,nosuid nfs_server:/share /mountpoint.

squeen

some help

Unread postby squeen » Tue May 27, 2003 6:59 am

When I have trouble with NFS I use

showmount -x <server name>

to get a list of mounts being exported from a particular machine.
Also, a few restarts of the network script (/etc/init.d/network start) on the IRIX side oftens
helps me get things connected.

Hope that's of some use.

SparcV

Unread postby SparcV » Tue May 27, 2003 3:28 pm

Here's what I get when I use showmount

-bash-2.05b$ showmount -x mitsumi
/sgi 192.168.4.0

Its advertising it, but Filesystem Manager still does not see it. The dir is set to world read-write-execute

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed May 28, 2003 9:39 am

So, the exported directory is set with 777 access and you still can not see any files? What happens when you run 'ls -al' on the mounted directory? Does it list the parent directory? Have you tried to export another directory, or even another directory on a diffrent partition?

Return to “SGI: Discussion”