Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:35 am 

And placing an octane on top of a stack also has a downside. But hey, when they were used, they weren't ment to be stacked...
Althought here are flaws (who made the O200 feet so fragile?), they have more than enough to compensate (the O2100 has wheels ;) ).

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:12 am 

My favorite flaw is in the O2k systems. On the CPU boards they have these little flanges on the side that make sure that each cpu board bracket contacts the others (I guess for grounding reasons). Anyway. They put them in such a way that if you put in a CPU board in slot 1 then try to put something in slot 2, you end up bending all the flanges. The best way I've found is to start at the highest numbered board and work down. It's annoying though because the system counts CPUs starting with board 0, so you have to go from low to high when filling out a case.

Granted few people swap boards much, but it's still annoying.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:39 am 

tbcpp wrote:
you end up bending all the flanges.

It's even more likely to occur on an Onyx2 Graphics Module or an Onyx3 GBrick. I have a *thin* sheet of stiff plastic that I place on the 'finger' side of the board that's already in the chassis <just deep enough to cover the fingers or the edge of the bulkhead>, then insert the adjoining board, and pull the plastic sheet out - before I insert the chassis bolts or tighten the compression connectors.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:49 pm 

jan-jaap wrote:
I believe it was on purpose, so you wouldn't be tempted to put a 24" monitor on top of it. Apparently some people tried that with Indys or Indigo2's and ended up with bent or cracked cases :lol:

One would assume that the designers, of a machine which tended to cost upwards of $10K when first introduced, would understand that their market was not made up of morons :-) (Alas, you never know I guess...). And a simple warning would have made it clear.

It would have been swell to be able to have stacked the CD-ROM (or external HDDs) on top of the O2 or Octane... just like the Indigo. Much less foot print... Plus making the Octane slightly taller would have given enough volume to include an internal 5 inch storage unit for a CD-ROM.

There were some mechanical design decisions in SGI-land which were truly epic in magnitude due to their stupidity. My biggest peeve were the drive sleds: I used to have a twin tower (alas, the two towers seemed fairly different in design and purpose so I never understood the monicker, but I digress) 4D, and the drive tower was so stupidly designed, why did each drive require like 10 liters volume and 10 kilos in sheet metal in its enclosure? When I owned an indigo, indigo2, and octane... I always wondered if SGI had a department whose only mission in life was to design drive sleds.

Each generation brought an incompatible drive sled, and an incompatible form factor for the GIO. The engineering resources for that must have been pretty high. Heck the Indy and Indigo2 were the same generation, yet they had incompatible form factors for their GIO implementation...

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am 

Quote:
I always wondered if SGI had a department whose only mission in life was to design drive sleds.

It is worse with the O3k (fuel, O300, O3000 etc) - all different sleds & different drive interfaces!!!

Fuel - no sled - 68pin
O3000 - sled + FC interface
O300 - different sled + 80 pin

I guess the Tezro & O3500 had different sleds as well!!!

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 am 

Now that is only consistent with previous totally incompatible designs.

Generally speaking I think the sleds are a good and userfriendly concept. Other vendors (like Sun) have things like that too, but only few have made an art of designing these things like SGI did. Not only are the SGI sleds incompatible, they also managed to reduce the chances to use an internal disk without a sled to a minimum.

At least the latter might be better in recent systems... I've used SCA disks in Octanes without a sled with no trouble.

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:43 am 

I became a SGI fan when my Dad started his new job at SGI. He brought home an 02 and an Indy. Promptly there after he showed me Doom. I got a tour of where he worked once it was really cool see a wall of indys and desks with four or five O2s. He worked on the firmware for the VW320 and later worked on an obscure digital video recorder project where he was force fed irix. I guess Irix spreads from person to person cause I love my sgi boxes and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked for life.

:320: Dual PIII 1ghz 512mb 1x 80GB Ide 7200 Win2k server

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am 

R-ten-K wrote:
Plus making the Octane slightly taller would have given enough volume to include an internal 5 inch storage unit for a CD-ROM.

If they'd made the disk area an eigth-inch (3 mm) wider they could have fit a CD-ROM in there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 pm 

Quote:
Other vendors (like Sun) have things like that too

The sun caddies are usable over a wide range of boxes and disk types.
I have the same sleds in Ultras, Enterpriseds and Sunblades (ok - they are FC disks)...
For SGI I have
Sleds for my Challenge/Onyx
Sleds for my Indigo 2
Sleds for the Octane / Origin 2xxx
Sleds for my O300
Sleds for my O3800
Sleds for my D bricks (crappy, super brittle plastic)

:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 pm 

The Visual Workstation 540 also has a another completely different kind of drive sled, fortunately there was one spare in mine after the original owner had taken their disks out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 pm 

un_ wrote:
The Visual Workstation 540 also has a another completely different kind of drive sled, fortunately there was one spare in mine after the original owner had taken their disks out.

Are you kidding? Only SGI would make a PeeCee completely propietary.

In contrast, I have used the same SUN drive sleds in an Ultra2, Ultra60, Blade1000, Ultra20, and in a brand new storagearray... for SCSI/SCA, FC, and SATA drives.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:

In contrast, I have used the same SUN drive sleds in an Ultra2, Ultra60, Blade1000, Ultra20, and in a brand new storagearray... for SCSI/SCA, FC, and SATA drives.
To be fair it does use SCA SCSI drives, but they are installed on a little metal tray that slides into the drive bay. Of course the RAM is completely weird..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:50 pm 

R-ten-K wrote:

No, IBM pulled the same stunt with some of their x86 servers. There are at least two variations on that black-with-slats drive sled that look almost identical but in fact, they're about .125" different in height. Thanks, IBM. Great job.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:00 pm 

hamei wrote:
R-ten-K wrote:

No, IBM pulled the same stunt with some of their x86 servers. There are at least two variations on that black-with-slats drive sled that look almost identical but in fact, they're about .125" different in height. Thanks, IBM. Great job.

No, SGI is definately worse. In the VW320, even a floppy drive needs custom rails to allow you to fit it in the 3.5" media bays at the front.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 pm 

kramlq wrote:
SGI is definately worse.

No doubt. I was only commenting on the "only SGI" part. Others have been idjuts also :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next