What made you a SGI fan?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: What made you a SGI fan?

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 pm

I think my aim message sums it up nicely:

after getting fed up with all of these circuit boards screwed to the side of a sheet metal box, it was so nice to finally meet a machine with intelligent design, with design dictated not by price or archaic standards, but by true technological genius and simply, the smartest group of engineers ever seen in one place. A machine that was, and still is, one of the finest pieces of craftsmanship the human race has ever constructed. The electronic equivalent of a hand-made swiss watch.

bigD

Unread postby bigD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

The chicks.
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 pm

bigD wrote:The chicks.

:roll:
Please explain.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

bigD

Unread postby bigD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:01 pm

pentium wrote:Please explain.

It was just a joke. Apparently not a very good one. :)
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm

pentium wrote: :roll:
Please explain.

When you're old enough to shave it'll begin to make more sense.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:59 pm

LOL - if the phrase "Hey, I got a whole house full of SGI gear" works for you in a bar, she's a keeper...
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day

ramq

Unread postby ramq » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:09 pm

after getting fed up with all of these circuit boards screwed to the side of a sheet metal box, it was so nice to finally meet a machine with intelligent design, with design dictated not by price or archaic standards, but by true technological genius and simply, the smartest group of engineers ever seen in one place. A machine that was, and still is, one of the finest pieces of craftsmanship the human race has ever constructed. The electronic equivalent of a hand-made swiss watch.

Well, if you don't include Origin plastic skins it might even be true.
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:

compuman86

Unread postby compuman86 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 am

nekonoko wrote:
scottE wrote:Thank god for archivists.

Agreed, but here is a danger though. For example, there was a well known archivist of ancient CP/M boot media for just about any CP/M machine you could imagine. People would go to him whenever they came across a rare machine and he'd set them up with appropriate boot media.

Then one day he died, and his entire collection went with him. None of it was stored on the Internet, so there were no mirrors. Lots of one of kind software sets are now apparently lost, perhaps forever.

Not to be a downer (mortality is a touchy subject), I just hope that one day you do take the time to get these videos out there so they won't suffer a similar fate :)

thats why you should make some kind of plans for your stuff to be released to the community once you are gone, or will it to somebody who knows what they are doing with it and can do the same.
My SGI systems (in order received) :Indy: Deaconblues :Indigo: Badsneakers :Indigo2: Greenearrings :Indigo2IMP: Kidcharlemagne :Octane: Haitiandivorce :O2: Aja :320: :1600SW: MidnightCruiser
(looking for) :Fuel: Pretzellogic :Tezro: Blackfriday

jade_angel

Unread postby jade_angel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:17 am

What got me started? Well, that would be the article in Nintendo Power years ago when the N64 was in development, which raved on about the IRIS Indigo, the Indy and most shiny of all, the brand-new Power Indigo2. From that point, I wanted one. Jurassic Park just reinforced this. Funny thing is, I never managed to get one until just recently. Instead, I got interested in NeXTs somewhere along that line, then got a bunch of Suns. Finally, I managed to get myself a half-broken Indigo2, but by the time I got that even slightly working, a load of other machines fell into my lap.

I've just taken it from there :)

tbcpp

Unread postby tbcpp » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Demos of Discreet Video apps (Flame and Smoke). I'll never forget when I read somewhere that a Inferno system could stream and composite 4 4k streams at once......drool.
:O2000: :Octane: :O2: :O2:
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie

indyman007

Unread postby indyman007 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Probably the graphics!>!
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

Bluefan

Unread postby Bluefan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 pm

sybrfreq wrote:I think my aim message sums it up nicely:

That's what caught my attention when I saw them for the first time. On my dads work, there were three desks next to each other, each filled with an octane with a big 20" monitor, each with an external CDrom drive. The pc's where cramped on the other desks and used most of the time, but the octanes were proudly sitting on a big desk and looking awesome. I already had my first pc, so I knew how a simple box looked, and these things were way cooler. And they had a O2 too, with the camera. A little while later, we had the O2 and one octane at home, and they were very interesting, they had something normal pc's didn't have (stability). Then it went fast and now I have two octanes and my dad the third. I bought on ebay and other places and now I have way more computers than I need.

Then I decided not to study something with computers or programming, but I went for physics, and I really like it. It quite robbed me from my spare time last year, but I'm slowly getting more time for my sgi's. I even got a few origin's from my university. And if ever get into some product development, I have a great example to learn from.
:O2:Toika :O2:Myra :O2:Fiona :Octane:Lisa :Octane:Sandra :Indigo2:Danica :Indy:Giana :O200:Lara :O200: :O200:Iona :O2000:Aida

R-ten-K

Unread postby R-ten-K » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:31 pm

All this quote about "craftsmanship" and genius just brought a bit of a chuckle. Am I the only one who has gotten blisters from plugging boards in and out the board cages in the Powerseries and Onyx 1 machines? I loved the design of the original Indigo, very easy to work on. I am surprised they did not continue with that chassis-theme for their desktop machines.

SGIs were definitively nice machines, and in some areas a bit ahead of their time. Let's now carried away though... one day I will meet the genius who though that it would be a swell idea to make the top of the O2 and Octane rounded...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

kramlq
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kramlq » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 pm

R-ten-K wrote:All this quote about "craftsmanship" and genius just brought a bit of a chuckle. Am I the only one who has gotten blisters from plugging boards in and out the board cages in the Powerseries and Onyx 1 machines?

I've sliced my finger open on more than one occasion when lifting a VW320 by using the recessed PCI slot area at the back to get a grip on it. There is some sharp metal seam there that I tend to forget about. The VW320 is certainly not a machine designed for ease of lifting.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:27 am

R-ten-K wrote:Am I the only one who has gotten blisters from plugging boards in and out the board cages in the Powerseries and Onyx 1 machines?

No ;)

R-ten-K wrote:one day I will meet the genius who though that it would be a swell idea to make the top of the O2 and Octane rounded...

I believe it was on purpose, so you wouldn't be tempted to put a 24" monitor on top of it. Apparently some people tried that with Indys or Indigo2's and ended up with bent or cracked cases :lol:
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “SGI: Discussion”