.cshrc

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
karbak

Unread postby karbak » Thu May 08, 2003 9:31 am

Slide wrote:That strikes me as being somewhat brain damaged, in the same sense that Linux distros decided that bash would make a better replacement for sh...<sigh>

Not sure why you'd consider their (the distributions') choice brain-damaged. AFAIK, the original Bourne shell was (is ?) not available under anything resembling a free license. Besides, if you invoke bash as 'sh', it mimics the original sh behaviour very closely while remaining POSIX-compliant.

Slide

Unread postby Slide » Thu May 08, 2003 10:24 am

karbak wrote:
Slide wrote:That strikes me as being somewhat brain damaged, in the same sense that Linux distros decided that bash would make a better replacement for sh...<sigh>

Not sure why you'd consider their (the distributions') choice brain-damaged. AFAIK, the original Bourne shell was (is ?) not available under anything resembling a free license. Besides, if you invoke bash as 'sh', it mimics the original sh behaviour very closely while remaining POSIX-compliant.

I hadn't paid attention to the fact that bourne wasn't freely available, since every 'real' Unix I've used has, at least in one point in it's history, had a true bourne shell. Apparently some have since stopped providing it...

Either way, bash can optionally be built in a 'minimal' mode to emulate bourne, but it still aims to be (and mainly succeeds at being) POSIX-2 compliant. This is the biggest thing; the Bourne shell is /not/ compliant. So, despite the fact that it's probably one of the best Bourne shells I've used, I feel it's a brain dead thing to make it /bin/sh, as first off: it's up to the distributor to make sure /bin/sh is the minimal version of bash not a full one, which historically, some vendors have been negligent with, and secondly: even in minimal mode, people begin assuming that the POSIX-2 compliance is a /bin/sh thing, not a bash thing, and suddenly the rest of the world is inundated with code that makes assumptions about /bin/sh which are typically only correct in one general environment. To which extent, I guess csh is probably a better choice for portable shell coding because, while being damaged in and of itself, at least /bin/csh is /bin/csh no matter where you go...

To that extent, maybe ash would make a better /bin/sh replacement? But now I'm /really/ venturing into unknown territory because I'm extremely unfamiliar with ash, and even worse -- replacing /bin/sh with ash would introduce yet /another/ not-quite-compatible /bin/sh into the mix...

Chinstrap

The true king of interactive shells...

Unread postby Chinstrap » Mon May 12, 2003 5:16 pm

zsh - http://www.zsh.org/
Every feature you could ever think of, and probably 30 others you never even considered.

Lots of compatibility features too.
Prefer ksh style arrays? No problem: setopt ksh_arrays
Can't give up certain csh features? setopt csh_junkie_history csh_junkie_loops csh_junkie_quotes
Lousy typist: setopt correct_all
Lousy typist with a dvorak keyboard: setopt correct_all dvorak

The list goes on and on. I've switched to using it as my main shell.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The true king of interactive shells...

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon May 12, 2003 5:57 pm

Ah, I'll have to give it a try - sounds very nice!

For anyone else wanting to try it out, SGI Freeware has a tardist:

http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/zsh-3.0.8.html
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Chinstrap

Re: The true king of interactive shells...

Unread postby Chinstrap » Mon May 12, 2003 6:16 pm

You may be interested in my .zshrc as a starting point:

http://www.webninja.com/files/zshrc

Chinstrap

Unread postby Chinstrap » Mon May 12, 2003 6:17 pm

BTW, I'm using zsh 4.1.0, so some of my setopt options may not be available if you use the 3.x tardist

Return to “SGI: Discussion”