Custom Backgrounds - Yet Again!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mr_ripley

Custom Backgrounds - Yet Again!

Unread postby mr_ripley » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:22 am

HI All :)

I've followed neko's instructions for displaying custom backgrounds on the IRIX desktop to the letter, however I'm still having a bit of trouble. When I log in all I see is a stippled grey background with no background image. I have to manually select the background in the DESKTOP-CUSTOMIZE-BACKGROUND control panel defore it will display correctly. I have to do this every time I log in. Is this normal?

btw. My machine is an R10K indigo2 Solid Impact.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tommy

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Backgrounds - Yet Again!

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:59 am

No, that's not normal behavior. The background is stored in ~/.Sgiresources after being set with Desktop->Customize->Background, much like this:

[Mika:~] neko 102% cat .Sgiresources
4DWm*curNewBackground: 1
*scheme: IndigoMagic
4DWm*Desk 1.backgroundDescription: -execute /usr/freeware/bin/xli -onroot -fork /usr/people/neko/dtbkg4_1600.jpg

Note that I didn't add the above entry to .Sgiresources; the control panel itself did - based on this ~/.backgrounds entry:

background "Kiddy Grade 4 JPEG"
command "-execute /usr/freeware/bin/xli -onroot -fork /usr/people/neko/dtbkg4_1600.jpg"
default "-execute /usr/freeware/bin/xli -onroot -fork /usr/people/neko/dtbkg4_1600.jpg"
execok "/usr/freeware/bin/xli"
readok "/usr/people/neko/dtbkg4_1600.jpg"

The ~/.Sgiresources file is read after login and the background appears on the desktop.

Perhaps something is preventing the file from being written in your case. Check to ensure permissions are correct on the file, and that the contents change as you select different backgrounds.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

mr_ripley

Unread postby mr_ripley » Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:16 am

Thanks Neko :)

I fooled around with the sgiresource file and that done the trick.

Everything works as it should.

Thanks again.

Tommy

somecodemonkey

8 bit graphics

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Mon May 19, 2003 1:27 pm

Do you know if the instructions will work for a machine with 8bit graphics?
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 8 bit graphics

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon May 19, 2003 2:14 pm

The instructions are still valid with the exception of modifying /var/X11/xdm/Xservers for 24-bit support (you don't want to do this in your case).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Re: 8 bit graphics

Unread postby akimmet » Mon May 19, 2003 4:31 pm

nekonoko wrote:The instructions are still valid with the exception of modifying /var/X11/xdm/Xservers for 24-bit support (you don't want to do this in your case).

It won't cause any major problems setting 24-bit on a 8-bit machine. It will just cause more dithering is all.

somecodemonkey

thanks

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Mon May 19, 2003 11:56 pm

Ok it works now just looks really bad :roll: but what do you expect with 8bit graphics.

Looks like time to open the wallet and try and find an XL 24 board (indy is R5000 so XZ is not a good idea)
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Re: thanks

Unread postby akimmet » Tue May 20, 2003 6:39 am

somecodemonkey wrote:Ok it works now just looks really bad :roll: but what do you expect with 8bit graphics.

Looks like time to open the wallet and try and find an XL 24 board (indy is R5000 so XZ is not a good idea)

A ZX in a r5k isn't THAT bad of an Idea, it still works and is only slightly slower (2d is slower but usually unnoticeable, 3d is sometimes alot faster, or usually a bit slower). Besides the XL-24 is only faster in 3d on only the three fastest processors (r5kSC180, r5kSC150, r4400SC200), and only when you have plenty of CPU power left over from other processes.

However, it is much cheaper to find a XL-24. Anyway, if you have a ZX or can get one cheaper than a XL-24, don't be afraid to use it instead.

If you want to see bad graphics, try 3D on your 8-bit color to see OpenGL in 16 colors (4-bit color)!

somecodemonkey

Hmm

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Tue May 20, 2003 7:32 am

Not really the case of wanting an Xl24 or an XZ or a case of finding on on this god forsaken island that and preferably somewhere that doesn;t charge the GDP of a small african nation for a copy of Irix 6.5

Return to “SGI: Discussion”