Can someone post some non-4dwm screenshots??

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
OSWebman

Can someone post some non-4dwm screenshots??

Unread postby OSWebman » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:51 pm

I think showing-off really customised 4dwm desktops is very cool, but maybe someone can post a KDE 3, GNOME 2.x, fluxbox, icewm etc. screenshot. You really dont see too much of that on the web. If anyone has a link to a page that has these screenshots of these wm's on Irix, please tell me. My entire time searching, i only found one non-4dwm screenshot at: Image

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:54 pm

That shot is still running 4DWM, just with a few KDE utils :)

If you don't mind my asking, why on earth is this something you'd want to see? Linux screenshots abound. It won't look any different.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:29 am

I actually prompted Nekonoko this question once, but it makes total sense: there are thousands of shots available on the web for Open Source WMs, but only a handful of sgi's 4DWM. It would just be wasted bandwidth. :)

lisp

Unread postby lisp » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:35 am

Also, using non4Dwm window managers on IRIX has some compatibility problems.

Plus, why saddle such nice machines with such bloaty systems when it comes with such a nice one?

If you want to turn the machine into a PeeCee, then just sell it and buy a PeeCee - you'll make a profit *and* get a faster machine.
--
lisa

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:35 am

True, so true..
then the upgrade/repairs start to kick in; blown PS's, heatsink fans that quit working and melt your processor etc. Plus, free of charge you'll get a bloated, gasy feeling when you run Linux or windows. What a feature!

Return to “SGI: Discussion”