New SGI systems with NVIDIA gfx...

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mapesdhs

New SGI systems with NVIDIA gfx...

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 am

I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

squeen

Re: New SGI systems with NVIDIA gfx...

Unread postby squeen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 am

About time!

tesla

Unread postby tesla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:44 am

Sort of puts the G back in "SGI".

/Matt
If I can't fix it I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
:Octane:x3 :O2: <-> :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP:x2 :Indigo2: (No PSU) :Indigo: :Indy:x4 :320:x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 am

Also puts the Sillyexpensive back into "SGI":

Priced from $10,575 for a Virtu VN200 node with two Intel® Xeon® E5420 processors, 8GB of memory, and an NVIDIA Quadro FX5600 GPU,

Cool systems, though.

D-EJ915

posted from a Visualize...

Unread postby D-EJ915 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:05 am

The huge logo on the tower model made me chuckle, 8 GPUs in that system is pretty crazy. I like the f1200 better although it's like the Intel companion to the VS workstation. I would have genuinely laughed out loud if they named the systems "Visualize" but they're going the interesting name route like the tezro.

zizban wrote:Also puts the Sillyexpensive back into "SGI":

Priced from $10,575 for a Virtu VN200 node with two Intel® Xeon® E5420 processors, 8GB of memory, and an NVIDIA Quadro FX5600 GPU,

Cool systems, though.

The 5600 is around $3k by itself to be fair.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am

zizban writes:
> Also puts the Sillyexpensive back into "SGI":

Actually no, that's quite competitive as far as I can tell. Try pricing up an HP xw8600 with the same
spec, or a Dell Precision T7400. Dell doesn't even list the FX5600; HP does, but the pricing is not
available online. Thus, even with the much lesser FX4600, the price for the HP here is 4117 UKP.
From online pricing elsewhere, I reckon the HP with an FX5600 and the same CPUs/RAM would be
about 5000 UKP, ie. slightly more than SGI's list. And SGI is offering them with XP 32/64bit aswell as
their usual Linux options, which some potential customers would find attractive (just pointing out
realities here, not an endorsement of winblows).

Plus, I think you may have missed a couple of important/interesting points: the systems are scalable
to 8 GPUs with Quadro Plex, there are configurations with up to 8 x quad-core Opterons available,
and the InfiniBand option is a smart move.

Much as it's been fashionable to moan about SGI in recent years, these do look like pretty decent
systems. The bigger question is: can they market and sell them in a sensible way? ie. in a proper
non-ripoff manner. The lack of an online price-configurator is still a glaring omission. Beats me
why they're sticking with the 3rd-party sales rep model as IMO that helped kill their old product
lines.

Still, there's not that much detailed info on sgi.com. On paper they look pretty decent, but it's a shame
they haven't announced them with a plethora of 'record-busting' Viewperf results, etc. I can't see
them doing that well without some decent hard performance numbers to backup the PR. Come on SGI,
start submitting results!

> Cool systems, though.

At least they're using the good cards from NVIDIA, which they should have done ages ago with Prism.
What I'd like to know is if these systems can be tied into an Atlix setup at all, ie. the option of a large
shared-memory system with a bunch of FX5600s running in parallel. That would be interesting.

D-EJ915 writes:
> The 5600 is around $3k by itself to be fair.

Here in the UK it's more like $4K (eg. 2139 UKP, or approx. $4300, from www.misco.co.uk).

Ian.

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:07 pm

The graphics card costs that much?? :shock:

Wow, that puts it in whole new perspective.

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:34 pm

zizban wrote:The graphics card costs that much?? :shock:

Wow, that puts it in whole new perspective.

It's not a consumer/games card; see:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600.html

Here is a useful comparison chart:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

NVIDIA's page shows a normal price of $3K for the 5600, but as usual real prices can be a lot more.
A quickish search here didn't find it for less than $4K.

Ian.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:00 am

Haven't seen a SGI in a 'Making of' movie for a while...It would be nice to see one of these beasties in one...! :mrgreen:

Jacques.
No SGI box currently...Snif!

cybercow

sgi - the "g" is back

Unread postby cybercow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:16 am

... i wish them good luck this time ... yes it`s x86, but they certainly learned something, and - hey, even Mac is x86 these days, and is overtaking the enterprise production market ... and if i realise well ... only ProMac has 8 cores in compact/desktop/workstation size, at compact prices ... maybe is time to fight back ...

... getting Maya2008 Linux version on this 8 core VS baby makes me mmmmmm I WANT THAT MOMYYYYYY !!!! and i can`t bold this enough ! ... already love the purple case, the logo is maybe too big, but wowwwwwwww congrats sgi ! ...

(even dreaming about original Irix on this x86 is - a dream - but - who knows ... if i had 10-100 programmers and the source code, i think i could do that ....)

[here we are :)]
Last edited by cybercow on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

shyouko

Re: sgi - the "g" is back

Unread postby shyouko » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 am

Related post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17578

Moderator Edit: Topics Merged <recondas>

zizban

Unread postby zizban » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:14 am

They are pretty interesting. Combine this with 5Dwm and you have a cool Sgi experience.

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 am

cybercow writes:
> ... only ProMac has 8 cores in compact/desktop/workstation size, at compact prices ... maybe is time to fight back ...
> getting Maya2008 Linux version on this 8 core VS baby makes me mmmmmm I WANT THAT MOMYYYYYY !!!! ...

Maybe you misread the tech info: the max is 32 cores, not 8. The VS350 supports up to eight quad-core Opterons.
But yes, the VS100 and VS200 are both dual quad-core systems.

> (even dreaming about original Irix on this x86 is - a dream - but - who knows ... if i had 10-100 programmers and the
> source code, i think i could do that ....)

Never going to happen.

The big test will be the end-of-the-chain pricing. SGI's PR says $10K for the example config, but if that ends up
translating to 10000 UKP over here with the usual cross-Atlantic/reseller markups, then I can't see the lesser systems
doing that well since HP/Dell would be cheaper. SGI needs to make sure the reseller model doesn't stiff customers
for stupid amounts of money as happened so often in the past.

Why there's no price config page is a mystery to me. Surely potential customers would want to know what kind
of ball-park figure the higher models would cost? The page says call a rep; yeah right, 'cos that's a reliable route
to impartial advice and info.

Come on SGI, add a price config page and for heaven's sake start doing direct sales. Already spoke to one
video editing guy who liked the sound of these systems, but wouldn't buy from a reseller as he's been burned
in the past. And submit some Viewperf/SPEC2006 results too! I'm tired of seeing the same old Dell/HP stuff
every time I check the current SPEC pages.

Hmm, wonder if any SGI people still read Neko pages?...

Ian.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:47 am

mapesdhs wrote:The big test will be the end-of-the-chain pricing. SGI's PR says $10K for the example config, but if that ends up translating to 10000 UKP over here

I was looking at the Apple store today.

US Store:
Mac Pro, starting at $2800
Mac Mini, starting at $600

NL Store:
Mac Pro, starting at EUR 2500
Mac Mini, starting at EUR 600

Hello guys, the exchange rate is 1,58:1 these days !!!
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:49 am

jan-jaap wrote:Hello guys, the exchange rate is 1,58:1 these days !!!

I hear Adobe's European prices are even worse.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”