Page 1 of 1

IRIX Source code

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 am
by Hombre71
Lazy question, who currently holds the rights to the IRIX source code, is it HPE ?

Possibly this was discussed before, I was just musing if with crowdfunding the current owner
might be persuaded to open source it.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am
by jan-jaap
HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

It cost SUN millions of dollars to open source Solaris. In lawyers, and to rewrite code it didn't own but licensed from 3rd parties.
No crowd funding campaign is ever going to raise that kind of money, and there's simply no business case either when the target audience is a bunch of sentimental hobbyists.

Fortunately, the innovative (at the time) parts of IRIX, like XFS, have been open sourced ages ago.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 am
by Hombre71
Mhh yes, that is true indeed. I suppose the IRIX codebase is similarly complex.

What is, generally speaking, the most usuable (covering the most platforms) non-IRIX OS for ex SGI Mips boxen, OpenBSD?

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:36 am
by josehill
jan-jaap wrote:HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9


I had the impression that all of SGI's assets, including discontinued software products, like IRIX, remained with HPE's Enterprise group. Is that incorrect? Note that other commercial operating systems, like HP-UX and NonStop remain with HPE.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm
by vishnu
I haven't looked in a while but there are (or were) torrents available that claimed to be the IRIX source code. I never grabbed one because I assumed they were either fake or jailbait (remembering what the FBI did to Chris Toshok). In addition to the XFS source code that JJ mentioned, basically all of the IRIX multiprocessor code has been integrated into Linux, in fact it's that code that drove Linux to dominance of the Top-500.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 am
by Raion-Fox
I have two different copies of the source code. Its not illegal to possess but it is illegal to distribute. I store them on tapes in a safety deposit box.

Its not the full source. In both cases its a fair bit of the kernel code, a little userland and some other pieces. I'll release them when the threat of legal action is low enough to not bother.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am
by vishnu
I'd be surprised if a bunch of the ex-sgi guys didn't have their own copies too. Anyway, as has often been stated what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro, so we could add the stuff it needs that prevents us from compiling all this so-called modrun software... :roll:

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 pm
by jan-jaap
vishnu wrote:what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro

? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am
by vishnu
jan-jaap wrote:? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.

The open64.net website has been hijacked but it looks like what might be the University of Delaware's version of the code circa 2013 is on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open64/

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 am
by Kumba
vishnu wrote:I haven't looked in a while but there are (or were) torrents available that claimed to be the IRIX source code. I never grabbed one because I assumed they were either fake or jailbait (remembering what the FBI did to Chris Toshok). In addition to the XFS source code that JJ mentioned, basically all of the IRIX multiprocessor code has been integrated into Linux, in fact it's that code that drove Linux to dominance of the Top-500.


If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux. I suspect this is raw IRIX code lifted from the IP27 and IP35 stuff and ported to the IA64 architecture for the bringup of the Altix product line. Of particular note in these old releases is all of the "pcibr" code that I stare at randomly in vain hopes to divine how their BRIDGE hardware worked so I can make the MIPS side work better.

There is, strangely, a very noticeable split in how SGI ported all of that code to IA64, but virtually ignores any existing code for their platforms under arch/mips/*. This leads to a lot of code duplication in Linux (mostly in header files now), so it's going to be interesting when I get around to sending patches in to unify some of it.

Even in the current Linux kernel source, you have drivers like drivers/char/mspec.c, which support the MSPEC address features of current IA64 SN2 hardware. It's on my long TODO list to see if it's possible for this driver to work on older HUB chips, like that in SN0 (IP27) and maybe SN1 (IP35), since the newer hardware is effectively an updated iteration of older hardware.

So IMHO, other than the older MIPS hardware support in IRIX, Linux appears to already have most of the good bits from IRIX. Chances of getting that old code released are likely slim-to-none. But maybe HPE would be open to releasing hardware documentation for the various system ASICS and address space layouts that could be used to develop new code.

jan-jaap wrote:HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

Of interest, Micro Focus also owns all that is left of Novell, including everything NetWare. I was excited a few weeks ago to discover that they still keep all of the old NetWare TIDs online, although some have new TID numbers that require a bit of searching. Throw on top still being able to download old NW patches, and Micro Focus seems like a nice company. If they really do have any control over other OS code, like that of IRIX, they might be open to releasing some stuff about it. Likely documentation only, but that would be better than nothing.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm
by miod
Kumba wrote:If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux.

Don't you mean 2.5.69? Most of the SN2 code got removed in 2.5.70.

Re: IRIX Source code

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am
by Kumba
miod wrote:
Kumba wrote:If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux.

Don't you mean 2.5.69? Most of the SN2 code got removed in 2.5.70.

I'll have to double-check. I think I was last looking at the pcibr code that SGI pulled in, and that's still in 2.5.70. SN2 code still is present through out the current kernel (like in the mspec driver, it explicitly checks for the presence of SN2).