3D Print Octane front door?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
japes
Donor
Donor

Re: 3D Print Octane front door?

Unread postby japes » Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 am

If you open the .iv on a SGI in Inventor Viewer it definitely has the front cover shape, but I don't think the door and cover are separate. I didn't check if there were referenced textures in the .iv and obviously didn't bother to upload any. With minimal trickery the demo can be loaded if you have the demo packages.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

japes wrote:If you open the .iv on a SGI in Inventor Viewer it definitely has the front cover shape, but I don't think the door and cover are separate. I didn't check if there were referenced textures in the .iv and obviously didn't bother to upload any. With minimal trickery the demo can be loaded if you have the demo packages.

Sorry, I feel I might have been too hasty with my approach and hence posting as fast as possible for stupid Internet points. I buckled down, and found that SceneViewer is actually available in Ubuntu's repositories. Opens it up just fine, and sure enough is the entire front for an Octane.

With further digging, learning, and general mucking about I learned that the OpenSceneGraph might be helpful in handling Open Inventor files. The whole package of binaries is available in Ubuntu's repositories, and possibly other distros I'm sure.

I was able to use osgconv to convert the .iv file to .obj. I opened it up in Blender and voila! Good news as well! Turns out the Door, front case, logo, lightbar, and individual lettering area all separate objects. I've got the door separated already and have attached it. I don't really know Blender too well, but I was able to highlight the door and select file export to stl to just give me the door. I imagine you could do the same for the other pieces if you wanted them.

Raion-Fox, if you do send this off to something like ShapeWays, you'll need to scale it up with something like Tinkercad. The model is much smaller than life size.

I guess the only thing still missing would be the hinge mechanism, some of which might not be too hard to mock up in something like Tinkercad.
Attachments
octane_door.stl.gz
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
octane_caseFront.obj.gz
(731.26 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am

Ah very cool. I'm not a 3D printer myself so I'm not going to be able to do much with it but this is pretty awesome. I'll archuve this and put it aside until I've got the time and money to have a prototype door made, eventually it may be possible to replace doors on Octanes that have lost their doors.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 pm

I will make these on my printer when I have the time.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Dodoid wrote:I will make these on my printer when I have the time.

You can print an entire Octane, including most of the parts.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 am

I don't know about some of the other parts size wise. It might be multiple glued parts which might look stupid. I bet I can do a door in one piece though.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

Dodoid wrote:I will make these on my printer when I have the time.

Curious what printer you have and you might approach just getting the door printed. Either with your own printer or sending it to a commercial service. I have a Makerbot Replicactor 2 at my place of work that I have learned to use quite extensively. However, a full 1/1 scale of the door I know will not really succeed on this printer due to the limited size of the build platform. The Replicator 2 is just flaky when you start to get to the outer edges of the build plate, what with plastic cooling down to quickly and curling up on the edges.

The general shape of the door doesn't allow for any decent flat surface to be laid down on the build platform using an additive 3D printing process. At least, in my approach. I tried printing out a scaled down door using raft and supports. It worked alright, but was fairly ugly and nasty having to rip the support off.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am

Dodoid wrote:I don't know about some of the other parts size wise. It might be multiple glued parts which might look stupid. I bet I can do a door in one piece though.

I was thinking a mini one that could hold a Rpi/BBB/Opi/etc. on what would be the IP30.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 am

I actually sell Mini Indigos like that right now (http://dodoid.net/indigo) :) . Miniatures of later systems are planned but they're not really in development yet.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Dodoid wrote:I actually sell Mini Indigos like that right now (http://dodoid.net/indigo) :) . Miniatures of later systems are planned but they're not really in development yet.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, have you received my private message? =)
ImageImage

Return to “SGI: Hardware”